The big 7

Deano

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pattern seems to be emerging here also, ie a lot of these failures went to mega rich Chelsea.

A similar thing is happening at City where top class strikers are going there but not looking nearly as good.

Also I though Mutu was quite good before the drug thing, maybe my poor memory.

Ben Arfa will suceed here because he has the talent but also he will still be the big fish where as the other 'failure' were going into teams where if they didn't hit the ground running they wouldn't get much chance, see also Torres at Chelsea (again).

True in part, but the likes of Alfonso Alves certainly didn't go to a big club.

Am sure there are plenty of other examples too.

So yes the right club matters beyond doubt, but can't be blamed for all the players with good reputations that come here an fail.

Am not saying he'll be a failure either, but that no-one can porclaim him to be anything yet (in this league) as he needs to prove it on the pitch first.

Thierry Henry was a failure in Italy, so was Dennis Bergkamp, so was Kanu. Does that make the Premiership worse than Serie A then?

Tough question to answer tbh, around that time i'd probably say yes it was, however during their time here the premier league became the better league... but I honestly couldn't say one way or another on this point as its so hard to judge. For instance Henry was played in a different role at Arsenal, one that suited him more, he also was younger in Italy, so was less in his prime then at Arsenal, Seria A is also a very defensive league and so goals are harder to come by for an attacking player. Same with Bergkamp, he became a great player during his time at Arsenal, in fact i'd go as far as to say one of the best to ever play in this country and my personal favourite, but again different mentality coupled with his own growth as a player meant he was more successful here.

Not sure i'd ever class Kanu in the same bracket, did ok for Arsenal but was never a world beater IMO, but others may disagree.

So far he looked pretty good, the Everton game :lol: he was awesome, even if you don't take into account that goal.

Didn't look like a player trying to settle in anyway.

Haha I was wondering why no one had brought that up :lol:

Yeah he played well in that match and it was a class strike!

Parker has been a good player for years. Ben Arfa has done fuck all by comparison. I'm waiting for a full season before deciding if he's been worth the money.

Fuck off man.

Scott Parker has been absolute class this season, and it weren't for him West Ham would have been relegated very early in the season. It's a disgrace that Bale won player of the year over him (or Nani).

I've never seen a better example of a "one man team" than West Ham this season, and his leadership qaulities on the pitch (and off it apparently) have been a great example to young players out there.

Tiote has had a better season than Scott Parker. I've seen him play a few times, especially the Liverpool game when everyone was raving about him. I just thought Liverpool were dreadful that day. Parker has stood out in an average team, put in blood and guts performances but has demonstrated very little finesse in his game (as he has very little) and does not in any way deserve the accolade of the Premiership's best player.

In fact i'd say that both Barton and Tiote have both been better than Parker and thats based on their performances in games won/drawn against the best sides i.e. in determing positive results for their club, something Parker hasnt done that many times obviously. They certainly pissed all over him when we played them home and away.

Tiote has had a better season than Scott Parker. I've seen him play a few times, especially the Liverpool game when everyone was raving about him. I just thought Liverpool were dreadful that day. Parker has stood out in an average team, put in blood and guts performances but has demonstrated very little finesse in his game (as he has very little) and does not in any way deserve the accolade of the Premiership's best player.

In fact i'd say that both Barton and Tiote have both been better than Parker and thats based on their performances in games won/drawn against the best sides i.e. in determing positive results for their club, something Parker hasnt done that many times obviously. They certainly pissed all over him when we played them home and away.

Surely the amount of positive results Parker has generated for his club almost single handidly is far greater than Tiote or Barton?

I would argue that the Premierships player of the season shouldn't just be based on skill, finesse etc, but what that player brings to his team. I dont think a single player has faught for and driven his club on more than Scotty Parker this season.

The fact that he won "players player" of the season also shows that his fellow professionals recognise the impact he's had on his club this season.

Like I said without Parker West Ham would have already been relegated and a long time ago, you can't say the same about Barton or Tiote, or that they has consistently and single handidly been the driving force in their team.

Now he may not have played great against you's, and Liverpool may have been crap on that day you mentioned, but over the whole season he's been excellent... not sure how anyone can argue otherwise?

Not arguing he has been crap, just not that good to deserve the accolade when there are better midfielders doing better jobs in more successful teams.

He looked fucking 'pony' up against Tiote. The 'player's player' of the season is literally a playground popularity contest.

For the record, which games did Parker single-handedly get West Ham the points this season? I thought the whole team played well against Liverpool, not a one-man show at all. Which other games do you have in mind?

Andy - it doesn't make sense to me that the player of the season is in a team that's very likely to get relegated

Really? Why should a whole teams effort over the course of a season have any impact on a single players consistent performance? It doesn't matter one bit who you play for, its how you've played and the impact you've had on that team that matters.

Its a sad day when even fans outside of the "big 4/5" now can't see past the glitz and glamour that sky constantly throw at us regarding those top teams.

Not arguing he has been crap, just not that good to deserve the accolade when there are better midfielders doing better jobs in more successful teams.

He looked fucking 'pony' up against Tiote. The 'player's player' of the season is literally a playground popularity contest.

For the record, which games did Parker single-handedly get West Ham the points this season? I thought the whole team played well against Liverpool, not a one-man show at all. Which other games do you have in mind?

I dont think the success of a team has any bearing on a players performances, certainly not in a successful team. Parker is playing for a dreadful team and it was him who apparently went in the dressing room at half time (I forget who they were playing) and gave an inspiring and passionate team talk that got the team all fired up to go out and win the match.

I honestly can't list West Ham games off the top of my head that he's single handidly won them the matches, but he has and there's no doubt about it. his leadership qualities and his drive and energy on the pitch have been second to none. I'll happily speak to someone I know who supports West Ham and provide you with a list if you really need one?

Ok he might have had a bad game up against Tiote... no player is going to be great in every single game, but Parker has been incredibly consistent this season.

Can you explain how the players player of the season award is a "playground popularity contest"? Surely fellow professionals are the best people to judge how an individual has performed?

Parker has been a good player for years. Ben Arfa has done fuck all by comparison. I'm waiting for a full season before deciding if he's been worth the money.

Fuck off man.

Eloquent. What exactly do you disagree with?

Fuck off man.

The latter about Ben Arfa.

As eith Tom or Craig posted....the boy has a pretty glittered career so far. Medals and alot of CL experience. Of course he is worth 5 mil. Easy.

And just some players you can see and immediatley know they are a bit special.

Fuck off man.

As eith Tom or Craig posted....the boy has a pretty glittered career so far. Medals and alot of CL experience. Of course he is worth 5 mil. Easy.

Maybe, maybe not. Mutu for example lit up the premier league when he first signed, obviously he had demons off the field but at first he looked amazing. Similarly with Ben Arfa he's had a bad injury (ok maybe not that similar but you see what I mean) and who knows how well he'll come back from it.

Saying that at £5m its certainly worth the risk anyway as thats peanuts in todays market!

Again though a glittering career in France doesn't necessarly translate to the same in England, and a good start (especially judging this on 3 games) doesn't mean that on a cold wet day at Stoke (as someone else pointed out) that he'll be up for it, especially as attitude problems have dogged his career so far.

Too early to judge either way, so Sniffer has made a very valid point... give the lad a chance to prove his worth rather then touting him as this and that before he's done anything (in this league) to justify it.

Still like I said even if he doesn't quite meet your expectations at £5m he'll certainly be a useful and good value for money player anyway.

Fuck off man.

Maybe, maybe not. Mutu for example lit up the premier league when he first signed, obviously he had demons off the field but at first he looked amazing. Similarly with Ben Arfa he's had a bad injury (ok maybe not that similar but you see what I mean) and who knows how well he'll come back from it.

Saying that at £5m its certainly worth the risk anyway as thats peanuts in todays market!

Again though a glittering career in France doesn't necessarly translate to the same in England, and a good start (especially judging this on 3 games) doesn't mean that on a cold wet day at Stoke (as someone else pointed out) that he'll be up for it, especially as attitude problems have dogged his career so far.

Too early to judge either way, so Sniffer has made a very valid point... give the lad a chance to prove his worth rather then touting him as this and that before he's done anything (in this league) to justify it.

Still like I said even if he doesn't quite meet your expectations at £5m he'll certainly be a useful and good value for money player anyway.

After all that...you proved my point.

5mil.

Fuck off man.

As we all know, there's been a load of highly touted foreign players with good track records come to the premier league and not been able to cope with it. Ben Arfa was unlucky but he still has to show that he can cut it, especially after this injury.

You are just hoping like everybody else.