Hollywood adaptions of classic Euro flicks: The Good, The Average & The Downright Shit.

Dolly Potter MD

Adaptions of critically well received horror/thrillers have been the flavour of the month for a while now. 'Let Me In' was inevitable, given the popularity of the vampire genre - it was a blatant but otherwise understandable cash grab on the studio's part. Thanks to the performances of it's two leads i thought it captured alot of the original's essence and appeal ie. a story about childhood bonding & mateship. The same cannot be said for another classy and original thriller, an offering which shouldn't be airbrushed for the sake of pleasing the mainstream cinema going audience. I speak of the French flick 'Martyrs'. I've heard the producers of the teenage friendly Twilight films are bankrolling it, and the film's director wants to serve up a climax which offers a glimmer of hope because the original is too dark. The original was unrelenting, a challenging ninety minutes viewing, and without giving away any spoilers the climax was provocative, it polarised viewers - the climax is a true 'love it or hate it' one. The remake of Martyrs has disaster written all over it.

Guest alex

Really enjoyed LTROI but haven't seen the remake. I can see the remake of Martyrs being absolute dogshit like. The original is class if totally disturbing. The remake'll be a gore-fest without any of the tension of the original. I see 13 Tzameti has been remade and is out soon too. That'll be shit too. I always find it ironic that Tartan was always a guarantee of the weird and the wonderful yet they went bankrupt remaking Funny Games. There's a lesson to be had there.