Video Card/Monitor help please

LeazesMag

My monitor is flicking, it is quite old, but so is the video card which has now been in 3 PC's. It is a NVIDEA GeForce mmx-40 with AGP8X.

I am getting a used but fairly new monitor this week, so I will plug it in and see what happens. If my current monitor is fucked, OK it doesn't owe me anything. Ditto the video card, if the video card is knackered. When I get the new monitor, if it also flicks, then I will be quite happy to get another video card on ebay to replace the bust one [i realise it may just need taking out, blowing and re-sitting, but I'll do it when I get the new monitor because I'm getting it anyway so I would keep it as a spare].

However, on ebay there is a variety of cards, of the same type as mine, but they are 64mb, 32mb etc, how do I know which of these specifications I should get to replace my current card if I go down this route ?

Ant, this looks as near as damnit to mine, mine is a "Galaxy" rather than "Tornado", but I've dug out the box and my current card is 256-bit 64MB-DDR/SDR.

I was just thinking that the 64MB etc had to match up with the processor speed or RAM ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NVIDIA-GeForce4-MX44...6a#ht_500wt_949

I haven't really thought of using the PC to watch the TV to be honest, re your link, but I suppose I could think about it. Is this card I've linked suitable, I might look for a brand new one though.

Leazes, you come across to me as one of the most least IT capable people I know (apart from myself).

Havent you got a local independent pc shop near you where you can pop down and get it done for you.

fuck off. I do alright.

I would rather do it myself, I just want to know technical specs man, matching these things isn't that simple.

I bet your average passenger doesn't even know what a computer is :lol:

AGP graphics :lol:

your computer must be canny old like, does it not have onboard graphics? if its just for web browsing onboard will be fine. the graphics card memory is in no way linked to the processor so is irrelivant, the more memory the faster the card will run is basic terms

Edited by JaMoUsE

Leazes, you come across to me as one of the most least IT capable people I know (apart from myself).

Havent you got a local independent pc shop near you where you can pop down and get it done for you.

fuck off. I do alright.

I would rather do it myself, I just want to know technical specs man, matching these things isn't that simple.

I bet your average passenger doesn't even know what a computer is :lol:

You are strange at times :D

your computer must be canny old like, does it not have onboard graphics? if its just for web browsing onboard will be fine. the graphics card memory is in no way linked to the processor so is irrelivant, the more memory the faster the card will run is basic terms

apple1.jpg

yes it does, but we put the old graphics card into the new "newish" PC [about 3-4 years old] because a seperate card is better ?

I could use the onboard graphics card [if the card is knackered] but it is currently disabled, I can do that in the BIOS? [if not how do I do it] but would it be inferior performance ? I really don't mind spending 10 quid or so on another graphics card ie take one out and slot a similar one into its place.

I also put RAM from my old pc into the new one too, as Ant says, it won't play high spec games but I'm not bothered about that, daughter doesn't play kids games anymore and when I was younger I used to play the odd RPG game but don't bother doing that now either.

apple1.jpg

I bought my first PC in 1993-ish and learned ms-dos etc, when I flogged my Amiga, but THAT looks more like an Enigma machine.

Now you're being silly, too many late nights :D

Ant, this looks as near as damnit to mine, mine is a "Galaxy" rather than "Tornado", but I've dug out the box and my current card is 256-bit 64MB-DDR/SDR.

I was just thinking that the 64MB etc had to match up with the processor speed or RAM ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NVIDIA-GeForce4-MX44...6a#ht_500wt_949

I haven't really thought of using the PC to watch the TV to be honest, re your link, but I suppose I could think about it. Is this card I've linked suitable, I might look for a brand new one though.

Naw the 64mb is for the card only, it's independent of the cpu/ram, the only obstacle you can run into is if you're using not using x64 OS you have a ram upper limit where only 3gbs will show up including your video card memory but it's still no big deal and you won't use it.

So aye if you can get the one i linkled for £20 or whatever it was, or one with less for around 10-20, get the one i linked instead might as well and it'll give you more options anyway.

The only i linked will cover you for any type of connection, even has hdmi so you could link it to a flatscreen tv if you wanted.

If you've an onboard graphics card (easy way to tell is look at the back of the pc, on the IO panel where you plug the keyboard/mouse etc in, is there a connection for a monitor? if not you don't have an onboard card...not all motherboards do)

But aye onboard cards won't be that great, it'll prob serve your web browsing and the like no problem though, with maybe struggling to play high quality videos/hd iplayer and things like that.

And you're spot on with doing it yourself, knowing what to buy is the hard bit, putting a pc together is a piece of piss especially something like installing a graphics card or a harddrive, they can only go in one place and one way round, it's basically like lego with electric.

I know that, done it a few times, matching the components spec is where I need advice. I do have an onboard graphics card, but would rather have a seperate card. Would the card you linked show good football pictures ie eliminate "freezing" etc ? I used to go to Iraqi goals, but got a virus !!! and won't go there again, but there are others.

(there's a site Besty linked that's considerably better leazes costs a fiver for a few months through paypal but i gotta admit it's worth it, no hassle finding streams and the quality is 10x more reliable).

But aye the card i linked would be able to keep up with even blu-ray quality video without problem.

pm please!

leazes - you could also check you have the latest drivers for the card.

dont get them through windows update, go directly to the card manufacturers website.

Leazes unless you're playing high end games the amount MB's/speed of the card won't make a big deal of difference for you.

Get the most for your money basically, getting a reasonable AGP card will be harder for you than anything else.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-RADEON-HD-4350-5...=item20b9e058d0

For everyday browsing, running a dvd/iplayer and the like something like the above will be more than ample, it'll run 8channel audio over hdmi and highdef movies/play blu-ray even.

(just won't be running the likes of Grand Theft Auto or big graphics games on it)

eBay is a minefield of mis-selling, so always check you get what they claim. That card is listed as an AGP, but the description says its actually a PCI-E, so it wont fit your PC. If you did buy it you can send it back as the Item Spec is incorrect.