Steve Waugh's Record Setting Test Team Vs Clive Lloyd's Calypso Kings.

Dolly Potter MD

Who wins & why. Lets say over 5 tests on Australian soil, and the Windies were a great travelling side under Lloyd. Venues: Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth. All venues listed play to variable strengths, team and individual strengths.

I'd say Lloyd's West Indies team, and by quite a comfortable margin as well.

Waugh's Australian team, despite being a great side never faced teams as good as the West Indies did in their heyday.

Marshall (IMO the greatest fast bowler of all time), Garner, Holding and Roberts has to be the greatest bowling attack ever assembled in the history of cricket. Richards IMO, is the greatest batsman of all time. Then you had the likes of Lloyd himself, supported by Haynes, Kallicharran & Greenidge.

The reason I class Marshall as the greatest as it didn't matter what conditions he bowled in. He'd mastered the pitches and conditions of each continent.

Waugh's Australian team, despite being a great side never faced teams as good as the West Indies did in their heyday.

Marshall (IMO the greatest fast bowler of all time), Garner, Holding and Roberts has to be the greatest bowling attack ever assembled in the history of cricket. Richards IMO, is the greatest batsman of all time. Then you had the likes of Lloyd himself, supported by Haynes, Kallicharran & Greenidge.

i agree with you Jonny. Wrecking ball pace will overcome most pitch conditions, and Marshall & Holding moved the ball alot through the air as well. Re: Marshall, Richie Benaud omission of him (not even shortlisted) from his so-called & definitive team of the century, while including Mcgrath, was a selection injustice. One of his fellow commentators (I.Chappel) got it right though naming Marshall & Garner as the best he has seen or faced. Glen bloody Mcgrath............ for chrissssst's sake.

Edited by Year Zero

i agree with you Jonny. Wrecking ball pace will overcome most pitch conditions, and Marshall & Holding moved the ball alot through the air as well. Re: Marshall, Richie Benaud omission of him (not even shortlisted) from his so-called & definitive team of the century, while including Mcgrath, was a selection injustice. One of his fellow commentators (I.Chappel) got it right though naming Marshall & Garner as the best he has seen or faced. Glen bloody Mcgrath............ for chrissssst's sake.

McGrath was brilliant, don't get me wrong. As he'd wear you down due to the accuracy of his bowling. A bit like when Curtly Ambrose was at the end of his career, as his pace had went, but every ball was on the spot.

However McGrath didn't have the aura of somebody like Holding running in full steam when he was at his best.

I'm amazed when I see clips when the batsman faces them in a sun hat. There's being tough, then there's being suicidal.

The golden era was before my time, but the romantic in me wishes they still had 3 or 4 7 foot monsters throwing the ball at 120 mph. Now the tall bowlers are the spinners.

It's a similar thing with regards to Tendulkar as well. Most rate Tendulkar a better player than Lara, whereas for me I always rate Lara higher. Tendulkar played in the better team for most of his career, had the sub continent conditions behind him.

Whereas at times Lara was carrying an extremely ordinary West Indies team, yet still managed to score an amazing amount of runs, while still playing his natural game. Tendulkar may have been the more technically sound batsman, but for me, I'd much rather have watched Lara in his prime than Sachin. Plus, I also feel Tendulkar gains more favour due to his style of play drawing inevitable comparisons to Don Bradman.

I'm amazed when I see clips when the batsman faces them in a sun hat. There's being tough, then there's being suicidal.

The golden era was before my time, but the romantic in me wishes they still had 3 or 4 7 foot monsters throwing the ball at 120 mph. Now the tall bowlers are the spinners.

I think there's definitely some correlation between the decline of great fast bowlers and the amount of cricket that's played in the modern game. Playing so many ODIs and Twenty20 games takes its toll.

Edited by Jonny2J

Another point about that Windies team. Dujon: a very underrated keeper/batsman, and as a straight up keeper he was poetry in motion. More naturally gifted than Marsh imo, and Marsh (and his figures/catches) are inflated thanks to Lillee's movement away from the bat, and his subsequent tenancy to find the edge.

Edited by Year Zero

True. I'd scale down the number of games in a tour, and even drop the 50 over game altogether from the international calander. Those 1 day games after The Ashes were a waste of time, as is the ICC Trophy and the World Cup. Mind you, I'm probably the last of the people who see 1 day cricket as the alternative.

20/20 is great fun, test matches can be absorbing and dramatic, but I've gone off the 50 over game.

On the subject of great fast bowlers - how brilliant was a young Waqar Younis? I'd compare his cricketing career to somebody like Ronaldo or Ronaldinho's in footballing terms. Unstoppable in their primes, unfortunately their primes only lasted a few years.

Another point about that Windies team. Dujon: a very underrated keeper/batsman, and as a straight keeper he was poetry in motion. More naturally gifted than Marsh imo, and Marsh (and his figures/catches) are inflated thanks to Lillee's movement away from the bat, and his subsequent tenancy to find the edge.

Before Dujon, me dad always talks about Deryck Murray, who he rated as a better keeper than Dujon.

Did you know Dujon is related to Ainsley Harriot btw? ;)

Edited by Jonny2J

On the subject of great fast bowlers - how brilliant was a young Waqar Younis? I'd compare his cricketing career to somebody like Ronaldo or Ronaldinho's in footballing terms. Unstoppable in their primes, unfortunately their primes only lasted a few years.

More like Adriano tbh, who similarly let himself go at a young age.

I think there's definitely some correlation between the decline of great fast bowlers and the amount of cricket that's played in the modern game. Playing so many ODIs and Twenty20 games takes its toll.

Agreed on both counts. Even when England fielded three seam bowlers at Lord's last week they were all fast medium. They should be pinging it down at 90 plus, especially Tremlett, who apparently lifts weights "as heavy as a ford transit".

It's a bit of a global problem though, and such a shame that Mohammed Amir turned to be on the take,

Agreed on both counts. Even when England fielded three seam bowlers at Lord's last week they were all fast medium. They should be pinging it down at 90 plus, especially Tremlett, who apparently lifts weights "as heavy as a ford transit".

It's a bit of a global problem though, and such a shame that Mohammed Amir turned to be on the take,

I remember when Craig White used to be bowling around 90mph - and he would be down as bowling medium fast. ;)

White was a talent, I remember him bowling Lara with a beauty through the gate. He could bat as well, made a test hundred against India didn't he? But like our other genuine fast bowlers (Flintoff, Jones etc) injuries just took their toll.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just watched Fire in Babylon. I'll go into more detail later as I'm on my phone, it really is a brilliant watch, I'd recommend it to anyone. Even non cricketing fans.

Marshall is the best fast bowler I've seen and Richards is the best batsman. It was an awesome side although I can only really remember the last time Lloyd captained them in this country (the famous 'blackwash' series). I remember Richards' sides more. The only criticism I'd have of them was the lack of variety in their attack and the slow over rate. Roger Harper was probably the best 12th man going as well but he couldn't get a look in, bar in ODIs.