Torres Having a Moan

Andrew

Fernando Torres believes the signing of Juan Mata and the return of Daniel Sturridge will help him end his dismal record with Chelsea.

The £50million signing from Liverpool admits he has been shocked by his run of only one goal in 27 games for club and country since his January move.

But the striker pinned part of the blame on the lack of pace of Chelsea's "older" players and believes the signing of Spain team-mate Mata and the return from a loan spell - and a three-match ban - of Sturridge will help him regain top form.

"When I changed club, I knew it was going to be a slow process, although I didn't expect it to be so long," Torres told ligabbva.com.

"Chelsea is, between the English teams, maybe the least English.

Very slow

"That's because of the kind of player Chelsea has - an older player, who plays very slow, who has a lot of possession, and that's what the club is trying to change now.

"It's normal that it takes some time; it's not easy to find midfielders because the best are already in the best teams and that's why I said that the arrival of Mata is going to give another pace to the team.

"The kind of player Chelsea has - an older player, who plays very slow, who has a lot of possession, and that's what the club is trying to change now. "

Fernando Torres Quotes of the week

"Daniel Sturridge, who has been ruled out for some matches, is also an incredible player, maybe the one that surprised me the most since I came here.

"In the next matches, you will see another pace, and I hope the midfield will adapt to that pace. That is what you need in the Premier League. If not, then the teams don't work.

"When the team will start to get the ideas of the new coach, about paced and vertical football, it's going to be very good."

Great signing

Torres believes Mata, who joined from Valencia for around £24million last month, will make the difference between Chelsea challenging champions Manchester United and being also-rans.

He said: "It's a great signing. I'm sure he's going to be a very important player for the club.

"He has all the skills that will help Chelsea to grow and be again at the same level as United, I hope this year.

"He's that kind of player who gives another pace to the game, another way, another way of slipping his markers.

"That's something Chelsea lacks nowadays. They are trying to redesign the team and he's the kind of player we need, young, experienced, world champion.

"This kind of players are not going to be frightened of coming to a new competition and will refresh the team."

now I know most will say he's making excuses for his shite start as a chelsea player which he undoubtedly is but it got me thinking a bit

having watched england v wales with lampard in the pivotal attacking midfield role and how different a style england played with compared to when it was one of young walcott and downing there against bulgaria. the wales game was much more like england in the world cup, slow and very lethargic once we got into the final third and I think a lot of that was to do with lampard, it could be argued that all the other players were just as slow but its often that central role that sets the pace for the entire team when it comes to attacking, knowing how lampard plays and how he passes will make wingers play differently as they expect different balls played into them.

I know im hardly an advocate for lampard being in the england team but has Torres hit the nail on the head here while trying to protect himself? for me theres no doubt that england are a much better side when there is more pace about the attacks than was evident against wales that the likes of wilshere or young will provide in that role rather than frank lampard

i know its not particularly relevant to much of anything but its really quiet on here

I think Torres should focus on his own lackluster form. Throwing bricks in glass houses

see that wasn't really the point I was aiming at

I know but still, he isnt the one to talk. Chelsea has its challenges laid out before them, an ageing squad being one of them, but having that issue adressed by a striker currently on an all-time-low run is a bit rich tbh.

But yes, Lampard is getting on a bit. He just does alot of side and backpasses nowadays whereas when he was younger he would run with the ball. Terry also not as good as he used to be..

Edited by Saltwater

'Lampard' was my immediate thought on reading that too.

Aye - apparently he's created more chances than anyone else in the league so far this year though.

the rest of his team train and play with him week in week out though, hes been the focal point of their midfield for a long time, I just dont reckon his style translates into the england side at all