Rescuing an old Hard Drive from a PC.

Tom

This is one for the tech savvy!

Although I'm not daft with the old technology lark I've got an old computer that simply wont turn on. I've got a lot of music, my own & others that I need to get from it.

Is there any way to yank the hard drive out and transfer the content to another PC or does the computer need to be functional?

Hard drives are completely portable.

Only thing to watch for is if It's an IDE one you'll need to set it to slave mode via the dip switch to mount it with a master.

If you're putting onto a SATA setup then it should be okay anyway.

Ok, should be simply enough to power off pc, connect old drive to any connection on that cable, (should only fit one way) and re -power up.

You'll know if it's going to 'see' the drive by going into the bios at boot up and it should show you the connected drive if the pins are set right.

Good Luck.

(as per the next post)

You'll need a power port as well - if non available - use the one from you cd / dvd as a quick fix - they are all the same ends.

Edited by south_cheshire_toon

On ebay search for ide drive caddy or sata drive caddy - these are great things - allowing you to plug a pc drive into a laptop usb port. (am using one at present as old pc crashed.)

Then so you know what's what - use wikipedia and look at the differences of a ide drive (2 banks of 24 pins) to a sata drive (not dissilimiar to a USB connection).

Ok, should be simply enough to power off pc, connect old drive to any connection on that cable, (should only fit one way) and re -power up.

You'll know if it's going to 'see' the drive by going into the bios at boot up and it should show you the connected drive if the pins are set right.

Good Luck.

(as per the next post)

You'll need a power port as well - if non available - use the one from you cd / dvd as a quick fix - they are all the same ends.

Ah so the cable that's already connected to the other hard drive?

I'm only going to copy the drive and then take it out!

Would this - http://www.ebay.co.u...=item19ca496577

Do the trick?

Certainly would - and covers all the bases as it's the sata / ide in one.

IDE for your PC and sata (as most new laptops are) for, erm, laptop drives as it happens.

I was after one awhile ago but then got just a sata caddy as I've dropped my pc awhile ago.

Nice!

I've bought that, hoping for some good tunes like! :lol:

From memory, when plugged in, the drive (if working) will just appear as an extra drive in explorer.

Prior to purchase - to see if drive is ok - unplug your cd / dvd and plug that drive in - boot your system and just hold the drive in your hand - you should feel it 'buzz' as the drive spins up - if no buzz then probable that the drive is dead (most probable due to vacuum dying).

Worked perfectly!

Got a lot of old music, some family photos.

Found no proper recorded music but a daft track I might put in the guitar thread at some point!