CV Help

noaliasmike

Wasn't really sure where to put this. I'm looking for some help with my CV. Does anyone know of any websites that provide good examples, or anything that recommend the best ways to structure one? I work in IT if there is anything out there specifically tailored towards that profession.

Wasn't really sure where to put this. I'm looking for some help with my CV. Does anyone know of any websites that provide good examples, or anything that recommend the best ways to structure one? I work in IT if there is anything out there specifically tailored towards that profession.

name and contact gubbins at the top, qualifications etc with a single paragraph statement - I am an experienced xyz with xyz experience in xyz industry(ies) working for xyz type companies (blue chip, multi national that type of thing). Mine has a single sentence with a skills summary table underneath.

Then sections for each job/role you've done to be structured:

From - to, Employer, Role/title, with SHORT bulleted statements below that stating achievements, tailor that part each time for any role you are going for to match things they're looking for in the job description.

i.e. a different or new CV for each job you're going for. In IT stick in as many appropriate key words as you can, e.g. Oracle, .Net, Linux that sort of stuff, if your going for project environment stuff things like methodologies - Waterfall, Agile, etc etc etc you get the picture I hope.

Oh and don't lie, everything should have a basis of truth, which even if it's a tenuous link/experience you can beef it up via good ole Google.

Sensibly spaced, no-one wants to plough through war and peace, punchy stuff, if someone wants to drill down detail they'll get that at interview.

Edited by Toonpack

We get CV's on a regular basis - about 10% forget to put in their contact details........................................

If you have lot of jobs you should list them all but only very short summaries of the earlier ones As Toonpak says DO NOT LIE - these days if you get a job it normally has a clause "that the info you provided is correct"

Take a look at their website and enhance the bits of your CV that might be most relevant

READ the job ad if you are replying to one and make sure you checklist everything they mention as arequirement and try and get as many of the "desireables" as possible

Spell check it and get a mate to read it - it's amazing what you miss

Edited by Rob W