Freehold/Leasehold

Kid Dynamite

All of the houses on our estate were built as leasehold in 1972. We bought it as freehold however as someone obviously bought the lease at some time over the years.

I've just gone on to the land registry to print off proof of freehold and it's coming up as both freehold AND leasehold? Anyone know what that means? It wasn't even mentioned when we bought the house so I assume it's not a big deal. A quick google couldn't find much online that explained it in laymans terms

Not sure, but it would be worth a quick call to the land registry to check it's not an issue. Or a solicitor if you prefer - if you get one that's not a knob, they'll spend five minutes explaining that it's not an issue without looking to bill you.

I had no end of bother with a freehold/leasehold issue the past couple of years, so do something about making sure it isn't an issue before you want to sell it.

Not sure, but it would be worth a quick call to the land registry to check it's not an issue. Or a solicitor if you prefer - if you get one that's not a knob, they'll spend five minutes explaining that it's not an issue without looking to bill you.

I had no end of bother with a freehold/leasehold issue the past couple of years, so do something about making sure it isn't an issue before you want to sell it.

I'll ask the original solicitors who we paid when we bought it. I'll politely suggest the explanation is 6 years overdue from original payment and won't be getting paid for a second time

Cheers

Sounds like it could potentially be an issue when you come to sell. Are they both registered to you? If so that seems to be less of an issue - apparently they sometimes can't be merged as there are slight differences in the land between the leasehold and freehold, so merging would result in you losing that land. But if you own both, then you can sell both so not a problem.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/archive/index.php/t-30756.html

Either way, if you aren't looking to sell imminently, you should be able to get it sorted if it needs doing.