Education Failure

NJS

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Religious architecture tends to be nice, so it's not all bad I suppose.

85316[/snapback]

I think it runs deeper than that. Think about how devoted people had to be to build these things, the same applies for scientific progress. Of course in an enlightened world load of what is written in the bible is historical rubbish. But there is far more in it than that, similes etc. They are the backbone of christian ethics that - like it or not - during the course of history has become the foundation of the thinking of what is seen as the western civilsation. It has formed our culture (and not only by architecture), our law etc. and even to a certain extent the progress of natural science (and hindered it often enough too). We like to see our states to be secular and the outer appearence seems to be. But the roots are still religious and intimately connected with Christianity. That's why I don't like to see it totally banned from schools, but it has to be voluntary.

85332[/snapback]

Good post that. Also, I find it absolutely incredible what people used to be able to biuld. I was echo Renton's comments about Durham as well. It's actually Romanesque in style, pre-dating all the great Gothic Cathedrals of Europe. There is a theory that the stonemasons were either Muslims or trained by Muslims, since in Christian terms at least, it was well ahead of its time. Also, from certain angles, some of the interior looks somewhat Mosque-like I reckon.

85343[/snapback]

Parts of it's architecture are Gothic though n'est-ce pas? Some of the windows are arent they??

85345[/snapback]

Maybe but the actual structure itself pre-dates the Gothic era. It's about 900 years old or so.

85316[/snapback]

I think it runs deeper than that. Think about how devoted people had to be to build these things, the same applies for scientific progress. Of course in an enlightened world load of what is written in the bible is historical rubbish. But there is far more in it than that, similes etc. They are the backbone of christian ethics that - like it or not - during the course of history has become the foundation of the thinking of what is seen as the western civilsation. It has formed our culture (and not only by architecture), our law etc. and even to a certain extent the progress of natural science (and hindered it often enough too). We like to see our states to be secular and the outer appearence seems to be. But the roots are still religious and intimately connected with Christianity. That's why I don't like to see it totally banned from schools, but it has to be voluntary.

85332[/snapback]

Good post that. Also, I find it absolutely incredible what people used to be able to biuld. I was echo Renton's comments about Durham as well. It's actually Romanesque in style, pre-dating all the great Gothic Cathedrals of Europe. There is a theory that the stonemasons were either Muslims or trained by Muslims, since in Christian terms at least, it was well ahead of its time. Also, from certain angles, some of the interior looks somewhat Mosque-like I reckon.

85343[/snapback]

Parts of it's architecture are Gothic though n'est-ce pas? Some of the windows are arent they??

85345[/snapback]

Maybe but the actual structure itself pre-dates the Gothic era. It's about 900 years old or so.

85348[/snapback]

I defer to you on that one. Apparently the CofE Cathedral in Liverpool was based on Durham Cathedral. It's massive like, but neewhere near as beautiful.

'Paddy's Wigwam' up the road is a strange one an all.

85316[/snapback]

85332[/snapback]

85343[/snapback]

I watched an hour long documentary about it once, and was pretty amazed by it. I can't remember the details, but all the geometry on it has religious significance and the symmetry reflects many fundamental constants of nature. Or something. Basically it is a masterpiece, truly awe-inspiring. It's almost impossible to imagine it could have been built 1000 years ago and could never be replicated today due to the cost involved.

Then of course there is it's location, towering above the Wear. Self evidently, I'm not religious, but the atmosphere around Durham does feel somewhat spiritual. I'm with NJS really and love visiting British and European cathedrals, from the Duomo to the the Salgrado del familia, but nothing is as special as Durham.

85316[/snapback]

85332[/snapback]

85343[/snapback]

85345[/snapback]

85348[/snapback]

I defer to you on that one. Apparently the CofE Cathedral in Liverpool was based on Durham Cathedral. It's massive like, but neewhere near as beautiful.

85350[/snapback]

I like the Anglican cathedral in Liverpool for it's sheer cavernous size, but its nothing like Durham. Paddy's wigwam was built out of dodgy concrete and was a mess last time I was there. Happy memories though because I graduated in it.

85316[/snapback]

85332[/snapback]

I agree to an extent but I would still argue that what are called "christian" morals (the good bits anyway) are a natural human leaning that doesn't have to involve the carrot and stick of heaven and hell. Now maybe in the past those were needed to some extent but as I keep saying I think if we were more "enlightened" then we'd have the courage to keep the morals and consign the nonsense to history.

As an aside, my Dad was once giving a lad he worked with a lift, and they were going past Durham, upon seeing the cathedral, without a hint of irony he asked incredulously "How long has that been there?" Jesus wept tbh.

I watched an hour long documentary about it once

85353[/snapback]

Was there nothing else on?

85358[/snapback]

I bet you were watching Nip/Tuck at the time, you big hom! :lol:

85316[/snapback]

85332[/snapback]

I agree to an extent but I would still argue that what are called "christian" morals (the good bits anyway) are a natural human leaning that doesn't have to involve the carrot and stick of heaven and hell. Now maybe in the past those were needed to some extent but as I keep saying I think if we were more "enlightened" then we'd have the courage to keep the morals and consign the nonsense to history.

85356[/snapback]

I agree NJS. I hope that religion will disappear over a matter of time, and our altruism genes will prevent us descending into chaos! Actually, it may sound naff, but I can foresee a Rodenberry Star Trek-like utopia happening eventually, almost certainly when I'm dead like. I hope so anyway.

85353[/snapback]

85358[/snapback]

85359[/snapback]

At least I wouldn't have been watching Corrie. :unsure:

85353[/snapback]

85358[/snapback]

85359[/snapback]

Daydreaming of that breast-lift tbh.

85353[/snapback]

85358[/snapback]

85359[/snapback]

At least I wouldn't have been watching Corrie. :unsure:

85361[/snapback]

Corrie is mint. FACTOMUNDOS EXTREMEDUS!

85353[/snapback]

85358[/snapback]

:unsure:

Accountants. Know the price of everything and the worth of nothing.

85363[/snapback]

He did get a bite though :lol:

Actually, it may sound naff, but I can foresee a Rodenberry Star Trek-like utopia happening eventually, almost certainly when I'm dead like. I hope so anyway.

85360[/snapback]

Next time I tell you you should be in a straitjacket, THIS is why, ok? Star Trek!?

Actually, it may sound naff, but I can foresee a Rodenberry Star Trek-like utopia happening eventually, almost certainly when I'm dead like. I hope so anyway.

85360[/snapback]

Next time I tell you you should be in a straitjacket, THIS is why, ok? Star Trek!?

85366[/snapback]

I'm not talking about warping around space meeting aliens, I'm referring to a unified planet not divided by superstitious nonsense, you dickweed!

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one... :lol:

85316[/snapback]

85332[/snapback]

85356[/snapback]

I don't dispute the fact that humanity might outgrow religion some day, but for now I am quite happy that religion and the church remain are moral instance as I don't see an actual alternative. In the western world more and more people are turning their back on religion, though not all do I regard as intelligent enough (as the likes of you, Renton etc.) to do without "christian" morals.

85316[/snapback]

85332[/snapback]

85343[/snapback]

85345[/snapback]

85348[/snapback]

85350[/snapback]

I like the Anglican cathedral in Liverpool for it's sheer cavernous size, but its nothing like Durham. Paddy's wigwam was built out of dodgy concrete and was a mess last time I was there. Happy memories though because I graduated in it.

85355[/snapback]

The biggest shame about the English reformation is the destruction of loads of fantastic cathedrals and monasteries (Tynemouth Priory, Lindisfarne, Fountains Abbey and many more).

Even the churches / cathedrals that survived had their ornate interiors destroyed.

85386[/snapback]

Well, iconoclasm happened in most European countries, but at least the churches itself remained in use.

Edited by Isegrim