Employment Law

Bit of background. My wife works in the care industry for a small company looking after brain damaged adults. The company that she works for has a policy that if you have 3 or more absences within ayear, you are liable for disciplinary procedure. My wife has currently had 2 periods of absence.

She currently has a flu-like viral infection which is contagious. By turning up for work she is in breach of Health and Safety legislation, but she cannot not turn up for fear of disciplinary action.

My question is, does this not constitute a form of bullying as she is being forced to break legislation under the threat of action that would jeopardise her future career.

I understand the need for companies to protect themselves from pisstakers but surely this can't be right?

Disciplinary action sounds a bit harsh. I know that where I work, after 3 episodes of sickness you're given the option to attend occupational health if you feel it would be of any benefit. It's more of a paper exercise cos that's the policy at my hospital, but it's just so it can go on record to say that the sickness issue has been addressed. Is she not able to phone her boss and explain the situation just to put her mind at rest that she won't be disciplined?

Edited by catmag

Bit of background. My wife works in the care industry for a small company looking after brain damaged adults. The company that she works for has a policy that if you have 3 or more absences within ayear, you are liable for disciplinary procedure. My wife has currently had 2 periods of absence.

She currently has a flu-like viral infection which is contagious. By turning up for work she is in breach of Health and Safety legislation, but she cannot not turn up for fear of disciplinary action.

My question is, does this not constitute a form of bullying as she is being forced to break legislation under the threat of action that would jeopardise her future career.

I understand the need for companies to protect themselves from pisstakers but surely this can't be right?

111091[/snapback]

Does her contract not specify 'authorised absences' or some such similar phrase?

111091[/snapback]

Does her contract not specify 'authorised absences' or some such similar phrase?

111100[/snapback]

i don't think so tbh. the company has independant managers for each home, and very little centralised structure. It means that the majority of management are jumped up little fuckers who do things exactly by the letter of policy so they never have to explain anything.

it fucks me off because my 2 kids have both got the same illness and with my wife working nights, i'm averaging 2 hours sleep a night, and my wife is only getting about 4 hours in the day. With the effect this is having on her immune system, she'll take forever to get over it, and i'll probably catch the fucker as well. And I start a new job in 2 weeks :)

Edited by muthaf***in toon lover