May 12th : Black and White Day...

Scottish Mag

Toon legend Alan Shearer says it will be a tremendous honour to see Tyneside awash with black and white in honour of himself.

Black and White Day on May 12 will see schools, shops and offices decorated in Newcastle United's famous colours to celebrate the career of the club's greatest ever goalscorer.

Shearer will wave an emotional farewell to the adoring Geordie public on May 11 in his testimonial game at St James' Park before the city is transformed the following day.

Big Al said: "I will probably wake up with a headache on Black and White Day after the night before.

"But to see the city dressed in black and white will be a tremendous honour.

"I am, and always will be, a Geordie and proud to be part of this wonderful city."

Lifelong United fan Shearer will be taking his seat among the Toon Army next season to cheer on his former team-mates.

He said: "I'll be there next season as a fan. I was a supporter as a boy and nothing has changed."

Fans and businesses have already been bombarding the Chronicle with calls, texts and e-mails telling us how they will be celebrating Black and White Day.

Schools across Tyneside will be allowing children to wear United shirts and paint their faces and will be organising games of football to mark the occasion - all this despite it being the last day of the SAT exams in some schools.

Businesses are kitting their shops and offices out in banners and bunting and staff will be encouraged to don black and white colours, with all money raised going to charity.

Messages from exiled Geordies across the globe have offered their support for Shearer and the Black and White Day tribute.

The NewcastleGateshead Initiative (NGI) will be dressing the city itself in black and white, and those taking part will be encouraged to collect donations to benefit one of Alan Shearer's nominated charities, the NSPCC.

Stella Hall, NGI's creative director, said: "The area is often praised for its architectural icons, but this is a great opportunity to celebrate a living, breathing icon who is as synonymous with the city as the famous Tyne Bridge."

The Chronicle will be running a roll of honour mentioning all of the businesses, schools and organisations taking part, so let us know what you will be doing.

We also want to hear from any fans, families or schools who will be taking part and helping paint the Toon black and white.

Call Craig Hope on (0191) 201 6027 or e-mail craig.hope@ncjmedia.co.uk

On a related note, is it true that they've had to take down the massive banner off the back of the Gallowgate stand because some bright spark at the club forgot to check to see if they needed permission off the city council??

Talksport were reporting that the other day - would be fucking typical of Newcastle United if it's true!

On a related note, is it true that they've had to take down the massive banner off the back of the Gallowgate stand because some bright spark at the club forgot to check to see if they needed permission off the city council??

Talksport were reporting that the other day - would be fucking typical of Newcastle United if it's true!

131596[/snapback]

Sounds like our style.

I think you are supposed to raise money for Shearer's nomintaed charity the NSPCC.

We have to pay £2 for the privilege of coming to work in black and white clothes.

I think you are supposed to raise money for Shearer's nomintaed charity the NSPCC.

We have to pay £2 for the privilege of coming to work in black and white clothes.

131617[/snapback]

What about if your wearing just a suit with a white shirt?

Guest alex

131617[/snapback]

What about if your wearing just a suit with a white shirt?

131619[/snapback]

Any true fan would own a black and white tie.

131596[/snapback]

Sounds like our style.

131599[/snapback]

Was still up this morning. Since when did you need planning permission for such a temporary "structure"? ALmost certainly a bitter mackem involved somewhere.

131596[/snapback]

Sounds like our style.

131599[/snapback]

Was still up this morning. Since when did you need planning permission for such a temporary "structure"? ALmost certainly a bitter mackem involved somewhere.

131631[/snapback]

Apparently the planning permission was required because it had Northern Rock on it and was therefore seen as advertising. Something to do with that.

Guest Sima
I await Sima's comments with some interest.

131584[/snapback]

Just basically cringing at the whole thing tbh.

131596[/snapback]

Sounds like our style.

131599[/snapback]

131631[/snapback]

Apparently the planning permission was required because it had Northern Rock on it and was therefore seen as advertising. Something to do with that.

131645[/snapback]

Correct.

I'm coming to work blacked up as Al Jolson next Friday btw.

131885[/snapback]

I wonder what Papa Lazarazu will do, as I believe he wears that make-up the whole time :D

Maybe he could go as a big, white, fat clown? Yes, a Freddie Shepherd lookalike.

Guest alex
I await Sima's comments with some interest.

131584[/snapback]

Just basically cringing at the whole thing tbh.

131866[/snapback]

Thought you would be, as am I really.