Telescope advice

Shearergol

I'm looking to buy a telescope, for less than £350. Anyone know anything about them who could offer advice on the best one to buy? It's for stargazing rather than spying btw ;)

183818[/snapback]

What type of stars? Rusty, fishy ones? :blush:

Seriously though it all depends what level of detail you're wanting to see I guess - also there's interchangable eye lenses on the more expensive models which are obviously added expense.

There are three major types of telescopes...

Type one has a lens which creates magnification

Type two has a mirror

Type three (catadioptric) combines one and two to create a greater magnification whilest keeping the shaft short.

All in all, type one is the least useful, type three has its proponents and detractors but type two is the one that most swear by.

If you're looking to lug it around places, I'd definitely say that the catadioptric is the right option for you. You can get decent magnification and focus out of them without breaking the bank or the lens during transport. If it's going to be relatively stationary, I'd recomend a mirror design.

All in all, probably the most important number to look for while shopping around is the 'f' rating, which will tell you how much light is allowed in. The lower this number, the harder it will be to see the stars.

How much are them?

Always fancied a telescope

183828[/snapback]

You certainly wouldn't be using it to look at star constellations! ;)

There are three major types of telescopes...

Type one has a lens which creates magnification

Type two has a mirror

Type three (catadioptric) combines one and two to create a greater magnification whilest keeping the shaft short.

All in all, type one is the least useful, type three has its proponents and detractors but type two is the one that most swear by. 

If you're looking to lug it around places, I'd definitely say that the catadioptric is the right option for you.  You can get decent magnification and focus out of them without breaking the bank or the lens during transport.  If it's going to be relatively stationary, I'd recomend a mirror design.

All in all, probably the most important number to look for while shopping around is the 'f' rating, which will tell you how much light is allowed in.  The lower this number, the harder it will be to see the stars.

183822[/snapback]

Cheers, think that gives me some idea.

Ebay here I come....