Can I use a 220v appliance on UK mains?

BlueStar

I've got this little neon sign thing with a US plug and a 220v rating on it. Can I use it on UK mains (240v) with an adaptor or would I need a stepdown converter? The reason it's 220 and not 110 even though the plug is US is that I got it from Hong Kong and there were 110v models for the US and 220 for europe but all with a US plug.

Does this make sense? It's too early :)

EDIT: I'm starting to think this is a bit of a stupid question. I've got some stuff wich says 230v and obviously works on 240v mains.

Edited by BlueStar

I would say you can probably use it. You can pick up cheapo adaptors that I think have converters in from places like Tesco though, so if it's the sort of thing that's going to be hard to replace if it knacks you might want to invest.

What's 20 volts between friends though?

Cool, top banana. Just thought, aren't France and them on 220v and we can use their stuff without a stepdown too. I did ask Mr ebay seller but I don't think he speaks much english...

Now I can see my lass' little face light up when she sees the Super Mario neon sign I've installed in the computer room. <_<

I'm sure she'll be thrilled :)

Edited by BlueStar

Cool, top banana. Just thought, aren't France and them on 220v and we can use their stuff without a stepdown too. I did ask Mr ebay seller but I don't think he speaks much english...

Now I can see my lasses little face light up when she sees the Super Mario neon sign I've installed in the computer room. :)

The only thing you might notice is that things with motors might run very slightly slower, but would be hardly noticeable, after all, if you run an appliance on the end of a long extension cable, or have a shed at the end of the garden powered from the house you will experience volt-drop which will result in your 240v AC being decidedly less.

Now I can see my lasses little face light up when she sees the Super Mario neon sign I've installed in the computer room. <_<

The only thing you might notice is that things with motors might run very slightly slower, but would be hardly noticeable, after all, if you run an appliance on the end of a long extension cable, or have a shed at the end of the garden powered from the house you will experience volt-drop which will result in your 240v AC being decidedly less.

Ta. Wouldn't motors run slightly faster if I was running something that said 220v on 240v tho? :)

I can see Gemmill lurking ready to call me a nerd. it's coming any second now.

Now I can see my lasses little face light up when she sees the Super Mario neon sign I've installed in the computer room. <_<

Ta. Wouldn't motors run slightly faster if I was running something that said 220v on 240v tho? :)

I can see Gemmill lurking ready to call me a nerd. it's coming any second now.

Yes, sorry, I was refering to a 240v appliance running on a 220v AC supply.

A Super Mario Neon Light? <_<

I knew it was coming :)

Not really neon actually, "illuminated sign" would probably be a better description. Every home should have one.

u423a1.jpg

BannanaMario.gif

Edited by BlueStar

220 or 240 doesn't make a difference - if you actually put a logging device on you sometimes find the supply voltage varies by +/- 10% anyway

especially when Leazes switches on his electric chair