Antoine's lift for Euro bid

Scottish Mag

Antoine Sibierski is poised to come to Glenn Roeder's rescue in Palermo this week after the Newcastle boss insisted he is hopeful the Frenchman will be fit to travel to Sicily tomorrow morning.

And with Emre also closing in on his first-team comeback having missed United's last three matches, a manager who has endured so much misfortune on the fitness front in recent weeks is keeping his fingers crossed that his bad luck is finally changing.

Shay Given yesterday resumed full training for the first time since he underwent a serious bowel operation seven weeks ago and although the Irishman will not be in contention for Thursday's Uefa Cup encounter with the joint leaders of Serie A, his imminent return will help to raise spirits at St James's Park.

Of far greater significance in the short term will be the progress that has been made by Sibierski (pictured left) and Emre in recent days. Both are scheduled to train under the close supervision of the club's medical staff this morning and Roeder hopes both will demonstrate that they have recovered sufficiently to merit inclusion in his travelling squad.

"I'm hoping that both will be fit to take on the trip," confirmed a manager whose options have rapidly diminished in recent weeks as a string of senior players have fallen victim to various injuries. It is a trend he is desperate to buck.

Sibierski's prospective return will come as the most-welcome news to a coach who had been considering the prospect of taking on Francesco Guidolin's in-form team at Stadio Renzo Barbera without the services of any of his frontline forward players.

Giuseppe Rossi is ineligible for Continental competition under the terms of his loan contract, Obafemi Martins is facing two weeks on the sidelines with a hamstring problem and Shola Ameobi's troublesome hip appears to have caught up with him at last.

Having initially been omitted, Albert Luque was last night added to the Newcastle reserve team that played Blackburn at Kingston Park, presumably in order to boost his fitness levels.

But it seems the under-employed Spaniard would only be used as a final resort - with Roeder preferring to field Damien Duff as an emergency striker against Charlton at the weekend while the former Deportivo La Coruña favourite watched from the bench.

It is a decision the United boss will hope to be spared in Palermo and, although few Magpies supporters were thrilled by Sibierski's arrival on a free transfer from Manchester City this summer, there is no doubt he has emerged as an important player in a depleted senior squad.

Having seen the striker score vital goals against Levadia Tallinn and Fenerbahçe, Roeder will hope the 32-year-old is a lucky European omen.

He will take no chances should Sibierski's fitness still be in question on Thursday evening but, having shown signs that the severely-bruised toe he suffered against Middlesbrough should have vastly improved by then, the French forward will be confident of being involved. Emre has not played since hobbling off with a back problem during Newcastle's last Uefa Cup fixture against Fenerbahçe two weeks ago.

Like Sibierski, the midfielder's performance will be monitored in training this morning. But with Nicky Butt rated doubtful with a neck injury, his potential return could not be more timely.

Meanwhile, Newcastle have been credited with an interest in Zoltan Gera, with reports in the West Midlands last night insisting that West Bromwich Albion officials are bracing themselves for a January bid for the Hungarian.

With Aston Villa's interest in James Milner understood to remain intact despite the collapse of a proposed transfer in August, United's scouts are reported to have identified Gera as a potential replacement.

Nigel Pearson, Roeder's right-hand man, worked with the 27-year-old during his time alongside Bryan Robson at The Hawthorns.

We should be playing second choicers across the board, taking a beating, and concentrating on Sheffield United on Saturday, which is a GENUINE must-win game.

My thoughts exactly.

With Palermo concentrating on Seria A, maybe they will be fielding a weakened side as well.

We should be playing second choicers across the board, taking a beating, and concentrating on Sheffield United on Saturday, which is a GENUINE must-win game.

My thoughts exactly.

With Palermo concentrating on Seria A, maybe they will be fielding a weakened side as well.

I think they did against Frankfurt.

My thoughts exactly.

What was the score?

Our top priority remains the league, nothing else.

My thoughts exactly.

What was the score?

Our top priority remains the league, nothing else.

They won in the late minutes 2-1, I think they threw a couple of first teamers on then. But I can be wrong, don't really follow this piss of a league*.

* NB: They have just reduced the point docking for Juve, Lazio etc. again...

My thoughts exactly.

indeed we should risk him... but you know, we almost certainly will.