Roeder accused of cover up in fall out from Emre race row

Greg

You Hypocrite - Roeder accused of cover up in fall out from Emre race row.

Daily Mail tomorrow.

Just been on SSN, no doubt will see the full article tomorrow.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Roeder accused of hypocrisy in race storm

Newcastle manager Glenn Roeder is facing a hugely damaging accusation of hypocrisy after being implicated in a crude cover-up over midfielder Emre’s alleged racial abuse of Everton’s Joseph Yobo.

Roeder has been outspoken in defence of his midfielder since the allegations were made during Newcastle’s 3-0 defeat by Everton on December 30, but it has emerged that the manager knew all along that the accusations might have been true.

He was approached by an angry senior Everton player at half-time and agreed to speak to Emre about the incident.

After the game Roeder visited his opponents’ dressing-room to apologise on Emre’s behalf and believed he had an agreement with Everton that the matter would go no further.

But Everton have been staggered by the statements Roeder has been making ever since and it is understood that the FA are keeping everything he has been saying on file.

Roeder insisted after the game: "There is no charge to be answered," before taking the incredible step of saying he would ban any Newcastle United player found guilty of such an offence for up to a season.

"What we need to do if a person is found guilty of racist abuse is to come down really hard on him,’ he said.

"I am not talking about three, six or 10 games. If it’s proven someone has racially abused another player, we cut them out, take them out for six months or a season.

"We have black players in our squad and I’d have been shocked if Emre had said anything racist. It’s something we won’t tolerate.

"I grew up with black people and black players. If I ever had the feeling any of the players here were racist, I wouldn’t stay at Newcastle."

Roeder continued to defend his player this week, even expressing sympathy for him.

"The allegations of racial abuse against Emre have knocked him sideways," he said. "He is very upset about them and he is denying them all. The club is supporting him and standing by him."

But his stance is seriously at odds with the evidence submitted to the FA by Everton players.

A 20-man brawl broke out at Goodison Park when Emre allegedly called Yobo a ‘f****** n*****, as revealed in Sportsmail on Saturday.

Yobo did not hear what Emre said, but Everton players Tim Howard and Joleon Lescott claim they did and have told the FA so in written submissions.

The incident occurred during the opening 45 minutes of the game and at the half-time whistle a senior Everton player warned Roeder that Emre would be ‘sorted out’ in the second half if something was not said.

It is believed that Roeder agreed to speak to his player and the second half then passed without serious incident.

But in the written submissions that have been made to the FA, Howard, Lescott and Yobo finish by stating that Roeder entered the Everton dressing-room immediately after the match and apologised.

The Everton players grudgingly accepted the apology — although Lescott was in no mood to forgive the Turkey international — and Roeder is then believed to have approached Everton boss David Moyes privately to make sure that his gesture marked the end of the matter. Like his players, Moyes is said to have reluctantly accepted Roeder’s apology.

Referee Dermot Gallagher was not aware of the private agreement between the two clubs, however, and included the incident in his report, which in turn prompted the FA to investigate what were serious allegations.

The FA asked Yobo, Howard and Lescott to make their submissions, which they did for fear of being accused of being complicit in a cover-up.

Emre has been charged with using racially aggravated and abusive language. He denies the charge and has until January 29 to respond.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...d=1779&ct=5

1. Who the fuck leaked all this info from the FA?

2. As if Moyes would leave it if Roeder came in and apologised

3. Last time I knew, threatening to 'do someone' was more of a crime than calling someone a nigger

3. Last time I knew, threatening to 'do someone' was more of a crime than calling someone a nigger

Calling someone that word on the pitch is grounds for not playing in the league again. See also any supporter doing so being banned. This isn't the 80s.

I'm not saying he did it, just stating truths.

Calling someone that word on the pitch is grounds for not playing in the league again. See also any supporter doing so being banned. This isn't the 80s.

I was talking about the criminal justice system not the morality of it. You are aware that threats of violence are an offence?

I was talking about the criminal justice system not the morality of it. You are aware that threats of violence are an offence?

I am, but am also aware of how seriously racist abuse is taken in football. Little to do with criminal justice, but it's taken very seriously these days, by the FA if not by the police.

I am, but am also aware of how seriously racist abuse is taken in football. Little to do with criminal justice, but it's taken very seriously these days, by the FA if not by the police.

that's my point FFS, if someone's going down for calling someone a nigger then some should go down for threats of violence

that's my point FFS, if someone's going down for calling someone a nigger then some should go down for threats of violence

Well maybe so, but football is always an inch away from violence, it's not right, but it's more part of the game than racism if you ask me, which you didn't.

Well maybe so, but football is always an inch away from violence, it's not right, but it's more part of the game than racism if you ask me, which you didn't.

by that argument then hate is part of the game, and racism is just another form of hate

by that argument then hate is part of the game, and racism is just another form of hate

Yes dear, I will react to your bait, which will make you feel like a man.

eh? wtf you on about

eh? wtf you on about

It's OK, it's the 21st Century, your sexuality is acceptable.