Fans spew at thought of Le Sib to renew!

Smooth Operator

Assuming everyone is fit and still here next year, I think Le Sib would do alright as a 4th choice striker behind Owen, Martins and Ameobi.

I think that's what Roeder thinks too.

Assuming everyone is fit and still here next year, I think Le Sib would do alright as a 4th choice striker behind Owen, Martins and Ameobi.

;)

Ameobi should be 4th choice and we should be getting someone else in as third choice. If we're picking from either Shola or Sibierski as our backup strikers next season, Roeder wants his fucking arse paddling.

Yeah, but we need four strikers, and I doubt we will have the budget to bring another striker in in the summer, and I don't think there are any players in the academy that could come into the squad when asked and score goals.

Yeah, but we need four strikers, and I doubt we will have the budget to bring another striker in in the summer, and I don't think there are any players in the academy that could come into the squad when asked and score goals.

Aye, I think that could well be the reasoning in Roeder's mind. I think he'll sign 2-3 defenders (possibly including the American lad) and that may well be it.

I agree with Gemill's sentiments entirely. A year ago everyone would have been apalled at the thought of Ameobi replacing Shearer (and Martins is certainly no replacement). It seems to be a case of Ameobi's repuation growing whilst he is injured.

In the words of Graeme Souness we need a "proper" striker in the Summer i.e. one who can both hold up the ball for Martins or Owen and actually score goals. A bit like the past it striker Man Utd have on their books at the moment.

I agree with Gemill's sentiments entirely. A year ago everyone would have been apalled at the thought of Ameobi replacing Shearer (and Martins is certainly no replacement). It seems to be a case of Ameobi's repuation growing whilst he is injured.

In the words of Graeme Souness we need a "proper" striker in the Summer i.e. one who can both hold up the ball for Martins or Owen and actually score goals. A bit like the past it striker Man Utd have on their books at the moment.

Unfortunately, I think it will be a case of either/or in the summer. Trophy striker or a few defenders

Well lets face it Roeder clearly isn't the sort of manager that can attract players and the club won't exactly be an appealing proposition without European Football. If we do manage to persuade anyone to sign it will be mercenaries like Viduka after their big pay day.

Well lets face it Roeder clearly isn't the sort of manager that can attract players and the club won't exactly be an appealing proposition without European Football. If we do manage to persuade anyone to sign it will be mercenaries like Viduka after their big pay day.

Well, he got Martins and Duff to come. Not exactly nobodies.

WOOOT! Casusal Rascism!

The french are a race now?

More "nationalist chauvinism" than "racism", but don't let that getting the way of a good witch hunt! ;)

I'll see your "nationalist chauvinism" and raise you a "jingoistic sense of superiority" :lol:

WOOOT! Casusal Rascism!

The french are a race now?

More "nationalist chauvinism" than "racism", but don't let that getting the way of a good witch hunt! ;)

I'll see your "nationalist chauvinism" and raise you a "jingoistic sense of superiority" :lol:

I thought about that but there was no accompanying song to go with it. :panic:

Mind I dunno that the french have a song when the refer to british as "roast beef" either. :lol:

The fact of the matter is being the 'fourth choice striker' (in a 4-4-2) actually puts the person occupying that role on the verge of the first team if you consider factors such as:

*Injury to another striker

*Loss of form to another striker

*Change of forward tactics dependent on opponent ('tactics' I hear you laugh)

*Effectiveness of preferred striking partnerships (can you play with two first choice midgets?)

Le Sib should be nowhere near that level of cover after this season. Thats Shola's rightful place tbh.

We got Duff because no-one else would match his huge Chelsea wages and he wasn't a player we needed with the likes of Milner and N'Zogbia and neither has he made an impact in my opinion.

With regard to Martins again I don't think he was the type of player we needed. We could have played Dyer, N'Zogbia, Milner etc up front with a strong striker such as Kuyt until Owen was fit. Martins is ineffective without that type of player to hold up the ball for him (not to mention the fact that of course we wouldn't have needed another little pacey striker if Shepherd hadn't allowed Souness to sell Bellamy). I don't recall a huge queue of clubs that we had to fight off to give Milan their 10 million.

We got Duff because no-one else would match his huge Chelsea wages and he wasn't a player we needed with the likes of Milner and N'Zogbia and neither has he made an impact in my opinion.

With regard to Martins again I don't think he was the type of player we needed. We could have played Dyer, N'Zogbia, Milner etc up front with a strong striker such as Kuyt until Owen was fit. Martins is ineffective without that type of player to hold up the ball for him (not to mention the fact that of course we wouldn't have needed another little pacey striker if Shepherd hadn't allowed Souness to sell Bellamy). I don't recall a huge queue of clubs that we had to fight off to give Milan their 10 million.

That's got nowt at all to do with what you were saying tbh. I'm not saying they were what we needed (although Martins has prevented this season from being a total disaster), simply that they prove Roeder can at least attract some players to the club. And well-known ones at that.