Sacking Souness is not the answer

jonnyhall

Just a little article i wrote:

Sacking Souness Is Not An Option

I could not believe what I was reading when I went to Newcastle-Online’s forum on Tuesday 9th August. Readers were calling for the head of Graeme Souness. 5 days before the season started and 6 days after poor finishing had cost Newcastle in the Intertoto Cup Semi Final ending their European dreams.

It just goes to show how unfairly Souness was and is being treated. He had not put one foot wrong and the season was already being dubbed failure. Similarly after the defeat to Bolton in mid week when Newcastle lost 2-0 and a “Souness must be sacked” thread had been launched.

Could it not be that Bolton is a hard place to go to and get a result? Newcastle have only recorded 2 wins in their last 7 visits to Bolton and the rest have been defeats.

Also after the defeat to Manchester United on the Toontastic.net forum a “SOUNESS HAS GOT TO GO” thread was launched. Newcastle had just lost to arguably the best team in the Premiership after two mistakes from our defender. Now I wouldn’t say that is Souness’ fault.

Most Newcastle managers never have a good start to the season and Graeme Souness hasn’t even had 12 months in the job yet.

I believe that Souness is just as frustrated as us fans as to why we didn’t sign Anelka and Boa Morte, why we didn’t sign Sami Hyypia and why the Michael Owen saga has stretched out. All he can do is give a list of players to Freddy Shepherd and say get me these players. Against West Ham we played 4-5-1 because of lack of strikers and we lost 2 points because Freddy Shepherd didn’t act quickly enough. With the injuries to Dyer, Emre and Bramble, Souness can only put out on the pitch what he has available.

Also Newcastle are only 2 points off how they started the 2002/2003 season when they finished 3rd. That season we beat West Ham 4-0 and that is the only difference to the position we are in now. In that season we lost to Bolton and Arsenal at their respective grounds and lost to Manchester United at St James Park by a much worse score line than Sunday’s game.

We have 34 more Premiership games to go and a possible 102 points to collect. Souness has not been given his fair chance and has not been blessed with the transfers he would have liked. Give him a chance and if Freddy Shepherd can sign two more players before the transfer window shuts then maybe we can have a team that can drive us to domestic cup success and into the Champions League.

I am not saying that Graeme Souness is a fantastic manager but neither was Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger when they first arrived at Manchester United and Arsenal. Nothing was won in their first years and Souness hasn’t even had a full season. The anniversary is coming up of Graeme Souness’ hiring but that isn’t a proper year because it is spread across two seasons which isn’t right.

Sacking him soon would leave the team in even more turmoil. Who would want to come to a club with the transfer deadline over and a set of fans who want nothing but the best straight away. Everyone has just settled down for the season and a change of managerial reigns now would leave the club’s players dwelling over their own and the club’s future in top flight football.

Newcastle aren’t blessed with the wealth of Chelsea and Souness isn’t blessed with the abilities of Mourinho so success is not going to come easily and straight away. Newcastle must fix some stability in the club and everyone must unite to work towards a brighter future.

If we can set ourselves up in the next couple of days with a few days with a couple of players and current squad members return from their respective injuries, there is no reason why Newcastle cannot enjoy success with Graeme Souness this season.

Excessive chanting of “Sack Souness” and “Sack the Board” is not going to restore some stability and not going to improve morale on Tyneside so for once why don’t we all swallow our criticism and get behind the team no matter what. Give them something that makes them want to win week in week out when we return to Premiership action against Fulham.

Make St James Park a fortress again and scream for the team. Howay The Lads!

Can I be first to say "Jesus wept"?

Jesus wept.

22139[/snapback]

Can i ask why?

22140[/snapback]

Are you that guy Robinson, that writes for the Sunday Sun?

The reason is that your "article" is pathetically naive, and completely misses the point that Souness has been a disaster at every club he has been with, bar Rangers.

Oh yeah, and your little pathetic dig at the fans, who personally I thought were way too generous on Sunday.

Oh, and also your utterly stupid comparisons to Robson's team 3 years ago. If you can't tell the difference between now and then mate, I pity you. :D

Jesus wept.

22139[/snapback]

Can i ask why?

22140[/snapback]

The reason is that your "article" is pathetically naive, and completely misses the point that Souness has been a disaster at every club he has been with, bar Rangers.

Oh yeah, and your little pathetic dig at the fans, who personally I thought were way too generous on Sunday.

Oh, and also your utterly stupid comparisons to Robson's team 3 years ago. If you can't tell the difference between now and then mate, I pity you. :D

22146[/snapback]

there was no pathetic little dig at the fans. i just feel the "sack the board" chants are not going to help the team's morale. after all we as newcastle fans all want the best for the club. these revolts are not going to the make the situation anymore prettier than it already is

oh and in case you missed it, we aren't Galatasary, Liverpool or Blackburn, we are Newcastle. What he did in the past doesnt always reflect what he does in the future

RODDLE*, Souness will not magically transform into Wenger or Furguson and is not the answer. Did you read the Blackburn fans posting on this forum earlier? Why to you think he felt compelled to come onto a Newcastle forum and spend time putting accross his worries.

Despite that, I agree with this bit to a degree**...

get behind the team no matter what. Give them something that makes them want to win week in week out when we return to Premiership action against Fulham.

...But they should accept disapointed reactions after the game if their display deserves it.

*ROmantic twaDDLE

**note. this only refers to the team on the pitch.

Edited by Bottled Dog

Jesus wept.

22139[/snapback]

Can i ask why?

22140[/snapback]

Patronising?????

22151[/snapback]

no i am not patronising. i wanted genuine feedback as i am looking to write articles like that in the future.

Jesus wept.

22139[/snapback]

Can i ask why?

22140[/snapback]

Patronising?????

22151[/snapback]

no i am not patronising. i wanted genuine feedback as i am looking to write articles like that in the future.

22153[/snapback]

Sorry that was aimed at Renton

Jesus wept.

22139[/snapback]

Can i ask why?

22140[/snapback]

Patronising?????

22151[/snapback]

22153[/snapback]

22161[/snapback]

my fault mate i just thought with you quoting my text it was aimed at me

Jesus wept.

22139[/snapback]

Can i ask why?

22140[/snapback]

22146[/snapback]

there was no pathetic little dig at the fans. i just feel the "sack the board" chants are not going to help the team's morale. after all we as newcastle fans all want the best for the club. these revolts are not going to the make the situation anymore prettier than it already is

oh and in case you missed it, we aren't Galatasary, Liverpool or Blackburn, we are Newcastle. What he did in the past doesnt always reflect what he does in the future

22150[/snapback]

The bit in bold - probably the most idiotic thing I have heard anybody say, ever. I really hope you are not, and never become, a person that employs people for a job at any company.

Also, I take it you did not go to the ManU match? There was no "sack the boarsd chants", just rounds of applause by people like you that accept mediocrity - or worse. There was a small demonstration after the West Ham game I believe (I wasn't there) - they are the real fans in my opinion - not people like you who write ridiculous "happy" articles.

Your head is either in the sand or up your own arse, or both. People like you are going to get us relegated!

He has 6 games to turn it around, simple as that. If after 10 games played we're looking at 5 or 6 wins, then I think he deserves to at least see it through until May.

If we lose any one of our next 5 games however, he'll be out. Simple as that, and he can have no complaints.

Jesus wept.

22139[/snapback]

Can i ask why?

22140[/snapback]

Patronising?????

22151[/snapback]

22153[/snapback]

22161[/snapback]

I'm patronising? Come on then, tell me how you've reached that conclusion, after an article from "Johnny Hall" who blames it [at least partly] on the fans?

I take it you agree with him then?

The list grows longer:

Ketbaia's mobile (and numerous pseudonyms)

Johnyhall

Pilchard Chops

NJM

Who else thinks its the fans fault?

Jesus wept.

Jesus wept.

22139[/snapback]

Can i ask why?

22140[/snapback]

22146[/snapback]

22150[/snapback]

The bit in bold - probably the most idiotic thing I have heard anybody say, ever. I really hope you are not, and never become, a person that employs people for a job at any company.

Also, I take it you did not go to the ManU match? There was no "sack the boarsd chants", just rounds of applause by people like you that accept mediocrity - or worse. There was a small demonstration after the West Ham game I believe (I wasn't there) - they are the real fans in my opinion - not people like you who write ridiculous "happy" articles.

Your head is either in the sand or up your own arse, or both. People like you are going to get us relegated!

22164[/snapback]

there has been talk of such chanting and it has also been discussed on the internet but i was wrong by what i said about the chanting should stop since it hasnt even begun.

i dont accept mediocrity, i like all fans what newcastle to be the best and i think you have no right to say who is and isnt a real fan. of course i am a real fan or i wouldnt have bothered with signing up to this board or writing that article or making my own website. i would have just said of piss it, i dont care what happens to the team anyway. I just like to keep optismistic. it isnt idiotic, i'm not up my own arse and i in no way want the club to get relegated. no fan does. it isnt a ridiculas article it is my opinion. i dont call your opinion idiotic. i hope i do become a manager of a company so i can not hire people like you who cant except that other people have opinions too and they may not always be the same as yours but that is no reason to insult me and my abilities

If we lose any one of our next 5 games however, he'll be out. Simple as that, and he can have no complaints.

22165[/snapback]

Let's get this straight - you are saying if we lose any of our next 5 matches Souness should be out?

If so, you are basically saying you want rid of Souness now! :D

I'm patronising? Come on then, tell me how you've reached that conclusion, after an article from "Johnny Hall" who blames it [at least partly] on the fans?

The list grows longer:

Johnyhall

Pilchard Chops

NJM

Jesus wept.

22168[/snapback]

of course i dont blame the fans. we have been the best fans by a long shot in regards to the past few years no matter how the team has been doing. i just feel we shouldnt drop that. we should keep that optimistic spirit up. i dont blame the fans but i dont fully blame the management like others do. it is also down to the players

RODDLE*, Souness will not magically transform into Wenger or Furguson and is not the answer. Did you read the Blackburn fans posting on this forum earlier? Why to you think he felt compelled to come onto a Newcastle forum and spend time putting accross his worries.

Despite that, I agree with this bit to a degree**...

get behind the team no matter what. Give them something that makes them want to win week in week out when we return to Premiership action against Fulham.

...But they should accept disapointed reactions after the game if their display deserves it.

*ROmantic twaDDLE

**note. this only refers to the team on the pitch.

22152[/snapback]

totally agree. Bullshit of the 1st degree. And idiots who go on about "sooperfans".....it's just that some of us have a bit of common sense and the others don't have what they are born with.

Jesus wept.

22139[/snapback]

Can i ask why?

22140[/snapback]

22146[/snapback]

22150[/snapback]

22164[/snapback]

there has been talk of such chanting and it has also been discussed on the internet but i was wrong by what i said about the chanting should stop since it hasnt even begun.

i dont accept mediocrity, i like all fans what newcastle to be the best and i think you have no right to say who is and isnt a real fan. of course i am a real fan or i wouldnt have bothered with signing up to this board or writing that article or making my own website. i would have just said of piss it, i dont care what happens to the team anyway . I just like to keep optismistic. it isnt idiotic, i'm not up my own arse and i in no way want the club to get relegated. no fan does. it isnt a ridiculas article it is my opinion. i dont call your opinion idiotic. i hope i do become a manager of a company so i can not hire people like you who cant except that other people have opinions too and they may not always be the same as yours but that is no reason to insult me and my abilities

22170[/snapback]

A real fan who doesn't care what happens to the club.

Congratulations on beating the award for the stupidest post on the board, which I thought I'd just witnessed about 5 minutes ago.

The list grows longer:

Johnyhall

Pilchard Chops

NJM

Jesus wept.

22168[/snapback]

of course i dont blame the fans. we have been the best fans by a long shot in regards to the past few years no matter how the team has been doing. i just feel we shouldnt drop that. we should keep that optimistic spirit up. i dont blame the fans but i dont fully blame the management like others do. it is also down to the players

22173[/snapback]

I guess we have different ideas on what makes good fans. If we all keep clapping and cheering regardless, we are fucked in my opinion.

Apart from that, I disagree with every word of your article. Others will agree of course, that's their prerogative.

Jesus wept.

22139[/snapback]

Can i ask why?

22140[/snapback]

22146[/snapback]

22150[/snapback]

22164[/snapback]

i dont accept mediocrity, i like all fans what newcastle to be the best and i think you have no right to say who is and isnt a real fan. of course i am a real fan or i wouldnt have bothered with signing up to this board or writing that article or making my own website. i would have just said of piss it, i dont care what happens to the team anyway. I just like to keep optismistic. it isnt idiotic, i'm not up my own arse and i in no way want the club to get relegated. no fan does. it isnt a ridiculas article it is my opinion. i dont call your opinion idiotic. i hope i do become a manager of a company so i can not hire people like you who cant except that other people have opinions too and they may not always be the same as yours but that is no reason to insult me and my abilities

22170[/snapback]

Sorry, I missed this before I wrote my last response. The bit about it not mattering what you have done before you get a job is idiotic imo, otherwise why does anyone do exams?

Anyway, sorry for being rude JohnyHall, we simply disagree, that is all. Keep writing and keep posting - I will keep criticising it as well. :D

22165[/snapback]

Let's get this straight - you are saying if we lose any of our next 5 matches Souness should be out?

If so, you are basically saying you want rid of Souness now! :D

22172[/snapback]

He should be capable of 13-15 points from Fulham, Blackburn, Man City, Portsmouth & Wigan. If he can't manage that, or if he falls behind schedule (ie, 2 draws in 2 games), he should be sacked, simple as that.

However, if he goes on to win 4 and get a draw from one of those leading into the derby, how can he be sacked?

I could not believe what I was reading when I went to Newcastle-Online’s forum on Tuesday 9th August. Readers were calling for the head of Graeme Souness. 5 days before the season started and 6 days after poor finishing had cost Newcastle in the Intertoto Cup Semi Final ending their European dreams.

So you missed the endless threads on all other boards that have been calling for his head since January then?

It just goes to show how unfairly Souness was and is being treated. He had not put one foot wrong and the season was already being dubbed failure. Similarly after the defeat to Bolton in mid week when Newcastle lost 2-0 and a “Souness must be sacked” thread had been launched.

Not sure what team you have been watching but I see a manager that has been given plenty of support by some fans, all of the existing players, and the Chairman for almost a year. More recently I have seen a manager that has got rid of more than a half a dozen players without replacing them. Aaron Hughes may not have been the defender to win us the title but was getting rid of him for 1m really that clever with the paper thin squad we have? Many of Souness' detractors have predicted every negative event that has dogged us since he was hired with supernatural ability... have we all become clarvoiant then? I said we would get one point from the first four games... many others did as well. I could not help but notice that many of Souness' defenders predicted a much higher point tally. Who has been right and who has been consistantly wrong?

Could it not be that Bolton is a hard place to go to and get a result? Newcastle have only recorded 2 wins in their last 7 visits to Bolton and the rest have been defeats.

Also after the defeat to Manchester United on the Toontastic.net forum a “SOUNESS HAS GOT TO GO” thread was launched. Newcastle had just lost to arguably the best team in the Premiership after two mistakes from our defender. Now I wouldn’t say that is Souness’ fault.

Man U are NOT the best team in the prem or even the second best (and they weren't last year either). They are weaker now than they have been in the last two seasons. 

Most Newcastle managers never have a good start to the season and Graeme Souness hasn’t even had 12 months in the job yet.

Myth. We have had crappy starts to the season for the past three seasons and we had some bad ones during Gullit and Dalgleigh which resulted in them leaving. None of them were this bad either. 

I believe that Souness is just as frustrated as us fans as to why we didn’t sign Anelka and Boa Morte, why we didn’t sign Sami Hyypia and why the Michael Owen saga has stretched out. All he can do is give a list of players to Freddy Shepherd and say get me these players. Against West Ham we played 4-5-1 because of lack of strikers and we lost 2 points because Freddy Shepherd didn’t act quickly enough. With the injuries to Dyer, Emre and Bramble, Souness can only put out on the pitch what he has available.

We had a bunch of strikers last year... did Souness have anything to do with them leaving either by steering us into a dreadful team or falling out with them. SOuness has said that he has had the support of the CHairman and that he supplied him with a list of names... we have not gotten anywhere. Souness has to share at least some of the blame for the striker situation.

Also Newcastle are only 2 points off how they started the 2002/2003 season when they finished 3rd. That season we beat West Ham 4-0 and that is the only difference to the position we are in now. In that season we lost to Bolton and Arsenal at their respective grounds and lost to Manchester United at St James Park by a much worse score line than Sunday’s game.

The fact that we scored four goals in one game, pretty much ends any discussion of comparison. I seem to remember us being in that Arse game until the bitter end and having goals... and even fitness. If you can't see the difference in the squads and how they play then and now... there is really no hope for you son.

We have 34 more Premiership games to go and a possible 102 points to collect. Souness has not been given his fair chance and has not been blessed with the transfers he would have liked. Give him a chance and if Freddy Shepherd can sign two more players before the transfer window shuts then maybe we can have a team that can drive us to domestic cup success and into the Champions League.

Now I feel stupid for putting in the effort to even respond to this article.

I am not saying that Graeme Souness is a fantastic manager but neither was Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger when they first arrived at Manchester United and Arsenal. Nothing was won in their first years and Souness hasn’t even had a full season. The anniversary is coming up of Graeme Souness’ hiring but that isn’t a proper year because it is spread across two seasons which isn’t right.

The worst comparisons yet ... because the managerial abilities and what is defined as a porr start are NOT comparible.

Sacking him soon would leave the team in even more turmoil. Who would want to come to a club with the transfer deadline over and a set of fans who want nothing but the best straight away. Everyone has just settled down for the season and a change of managerial reigns now would leave the club’s players dwelling over their own and the club’s future in top flight football.

You are right here. Souness should have been sacked at the end of last season.

Newcastle aren’t blessed with the wealth of Chelsea and Souness isn’t blessed with the abilities of Mourinho so success is not going to come easily and straight away. Newcastle must fix some stability in the club and everyone must unite to work towards a brighter future.

Actually only Chelsea has spent more than us - and you could argue that is because they are Chelsea and their prices are automatically inflated. We have plenty of riches.

If we can set ourselves up in the next couple of days with a few days with a couple of players and current squad members return from their respective injuries, there is no reason why Newcastle cannot enjoy success with Graeme Souness this season.

COnversely there is no reason to think that SOuness will suddenly become a successful manager when there is no evidence to support this.

Excessive chanting of “Sack Souness” and “Sack the Board” is not going to restore some stability and not going to improve morale on Tyneside so for once why don’t we all swallow our criticism and get behind the team no matter what. Give them something that makes them want to win week in week out when we return to Premiership action against Fulham.

The point o fthose chants is not to restore anyone's confidence, but the actions of desperate fans. Second, the report of those chants is highly exagerated. It does not happen as often as is reported in the media. Fat Fred has even claimed not to hear them at all. After the WHam game there were supposed chants, but all I heard was "No silverwere, no silverwere..."

22134[/snapback]

So you missed the endless threads on all other boards that have been calling for his head since January then?

Not sure what team you have been watching but I see a manager that has been given plenty of support by some fans, all of the existing players, and the Chairman for almost a year. More recently I have seen a manager that has got rid of more than a half a dozen players without replacing them. Aaron Hughes may not have been the defender to win us the title but was getting rid of him for 1m really that clever with the paper thin squad we have? Many of Souness' detractors have predicted every negative event that has dogged us since he was hired with supernatural ability... have we all become clarvoiant then? I said we would get one point from the first four games... many others did as well. I could not help but notice that many of Souness' defenders predicted a much higher point tally. Who has been right and who has been consistantly wrong?

Man U are NOT the best team in the prem or even the second best (and they weren't last year either). They are weaker now than they have been in the last two seasons. 

Myth. We have had crappy starts to the season for the past three seasons and we had some bad ones during Gullit and Dalgleigh which resulted in them leaving. None of them were this bad either. 

We had a bunch of strikers last year... did Souness have anything to do with them leaving either by steering us into a dreadful team or falling out with them. SOuness has said that he has had the support of the CHairman and that he supplied him with a list of names... we have not gotten anywhere. Souness has to share at least some of the blame for the striker situation.

The fact that we scored four goals in one game, pretty much ends any discussion of comparison. I seem to remember us being in that Arse game until the bitter end and having goals... and even fitness. If you can't see the difference in the squads and how they play then and now... there is really no hope for you son.

Now I feel stupid for putting in the effort to even respond to this article.

The worst comparisons yet ... because the managerial abilities and what is defined as a porr start are NOT comparible.

You are right here. Souness should have been sacked at the end of last season.

Actually only Chelsea has spent more than us - and you could argue that is because they are Chelsea and their prices are automatically inflated. We have plenty of riches.

COnversely there is no reason to think that SOuness will suddenly become a successful manager when there is no evidence to support this.

The point o fthose chants is not to restore anyone's confidence, but the actions of desperate fans. Second, the report of those chants is highly exagerated. It does not happen as often as is reported in the media. Fat Fred has even claimed not to hear them at all. After the WHam game there were supposed chants, but all I heard was "No silverwere, no silverwere..."

22134[/snapback]

22186[/snapback]

Brilliant post, summed up why I think I was justifyed to write the "Jesus wept" response.

Thing is Calimag, we are still in the minority; Souness has an inexplicable support base in the North East.

I referred to Robinson's article earlier in this thread - that so-called journalist said that supporters of Souness were not "perceptive". BOLLOCKS. All of this was predictable. The people who are unperceptive are the idiots that keep supporting this abomination of a football manager :D

And then when he does go, they will change their tune and say they never supported him. But I know who you are!