Gifton's place in the sun

Scottish Mag

Gifton Noel-Williams used to travel 90 miles from his home in Stoke to Burnley's training ground.

On a good day it would take 90 minutes but, more often than not, traffic problems would mean a two-hour journey.

All that changed in January when one of transfer deadline day's most bizarre moves took the 27-year-old striker to Spanish side Real Murcia for £50,000.

Noel-Williams's new journey is a lot more to his liking - 10 minutes in a team-mate's car.

What's more, the club have housed the former Watford, Stoke and Burnley striker in a five-bedroom villa with a swimming pool.

Not surprisingly the striker concedes that he "feels comfortable there".

The London-born forward has no idea how it all happened - but is mighty glad that it has.

"I think it was my agent," Noel-Williams told BBC Sport. "I don't know what magic he did but he pulled a rabbit out of the hat from somewhere.

"From what I have gathered Murcia tried to sign me a couple of years ago. I was not aware of it but apparently they watched me at Stoke. They came back and signed me from Burnley.

"I could have gone to Denmark and there were a couple of other things available but this was the best one."

Noel-Williams had only been at the club for a few days when he arrived at training to the sight of several players laughing as they looked at a newspaper.

The new signing eventually discovered the subject of their mirth - he was sharing equal billing with Ronaldo, their respective photos next to each other.

"That was nice," he added. "One of the lads said 'you and Ronaldo, both big stars'. It was good to share company with a player like him."

Had Ronaldo not left Real Madrid for Italy the two players might have been sharing a pitch next season.

Murcia are second in the Spanish second division and - with three teams promoted to La Liga - sit eight points clear of fourth place Cadiz.

Noel-Williams has an 18-month contract with an option to extend.

Unless something goes badly wrong he will be a La Liga footballer next season, competing in what many regard as the best league in the world.

"That was one of the things that enticed me here," said the striker, who played in the Premiership for Watford.

"Having the opportunity to play Barcelona and Real Madrid - it is such a big shout for me."

I have been enjoying my training and I have a smile on my face

Not that it will be easy for Noel-Williams.

He does not speak Spanish and is taking lessons to try to come to terms with the language barrier.

Three or four of his team-mates speak decent English and have taken him under their wing to help him settle in at the club.

Then there is the football.

There are few midweek games in Spain and so training is longer and more intense than what Noel-Williams was accustomed to.

He struggled at first. His lungs were burning at the end of the sessions, bringing the early weeks of pre-season training to mind.

The target man watched his new team in action and found the pace of the game a lot slower than the Championship but with a superior technical ability.

A practice game was arranged against a Russian team which Noel-Williams really enjoyed, but he has yet to make his first-team debut.

He would have done so a couple of weeks ago but Murcia scored and a defender came on instead to shore up the backline.

Nonetheless, the relaxed lifestyle, the fresh, tasty food and the warm welcome he has received has already convinced him that he has made the right move.

And he is prepared to be patient and await his chance.

"I came here blind," he said. "But I saw it as a big opportunity and I am determined get on with it and see what comes of it.

"I have been enjoying my training and I have a smile on my face.

"Training in the sunshine - it makes you happy."

GIFTON NOEL-WILLIAMS

Born: London, 21/1/80

Clubs: Watford 8/96-6/03

Stoke 6/03-6/05

Burnley 6/05-1/07

Brighton (loan) 3/06-05/06

Real Murcia 01/07-

Didn't he used to play for Wolves or Nottingham Forest as well or something like that? Might just have been Watford. I remember years ago reading about this young player with loads of potential, but he proved to be disappointing.

Titus Bramble?

Didn't he used to play for Wolves or Nottingham Forest as well or something like that? Might just have been Watford. I remember years ago reading about this young player with loads of potential, but he proved to be disappointing.

watford, stoke and burnley, whilst a spell at brighton aswell,

the power of the google strikes again :lol:

Are you thinking of Chris Bart-Williams?

I always used to buy him in the original CM whenever my board told me to sign a big name player. 17 letters, big name...

I always used to buy him in the original CM whenever my board told me to sign a big name player. 17 letters, big name...

he was always abit shite on CM

• 3 weeks later...