That our summer spending done?

Mark

I'd imagine so. That's a shit load of players brought in under Souness' reign (of terror).

In :

Boumsong-£8m

Babayaro-£1.5m

Faye-£2m

Emre-£3.6m

Moore-free

Clarke-free

Parker-£6m

Luque-£10m

Owen-£17m

That's 6 first teamers and 3 squad players. He must be fairly close to what he believes is the finished article.

Christ, to think last week I was worried about missing out on Boa Morte and Anelka!

I reckon we are finished BUT remember what Souness said like 3 days ago on SSN when asked about more signings he said "well since the chairman is way down there" (in his office) I can say hopefully 2 and this was after Luque, so who knows but I reckon we are finished.

So for:

Butt

Ambrose

Robert

Bellamy

we've got:

Parker

Emre

Luque

Owen

good dealings IMO, now all we need is Dirk Kuyt as a replacement for Pievert and it's been an awesome summer in the transfer market! :stars:

HAHAHA!

Someone called it earlier.

Gotcha!

Aug 30 2005

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United have won their battle to sign £16m Michael Owen.

Chairman Freddy Shepherd could hardly contain his delight when he announced that England's premier striker had agreed to come to St James' Park on a four-year deal.

And the fact that Owen had decided to commit himself to such a long period of time was also greeted with joy throughout Tyneside today.

And the news reverberated throughout the football world - just like it did when Shepherd and Douglas Hall announced the signing of Alan Shearer in Bangkok in 1996.

Shepherd it was who told the football world today that United had got Owen, with the England international undergoing a medical at St James' Park this afternoon.

But it had to be a rush job because Owen was due to report with England today even though he is suspended for Saturday's World Cup qualifier with Wales.

United were prepared to offer Owen anything he wanted to get him to come to St James' Park, including several get-out clauses.

And certainly wages were not a problem - they have never been in United's recent history - with Shepherd offering Owen a salary that only Chelsea were likely to match in the Premiership.

Owen will probably go down in many people's eyes as the third greatest signing in Newcastle United's history after Shearer and Kevin Keegan.

Indeed, Shepherd said on the club's website today: "Bringing Michael to St James' Park will rank alongside the signing of Alan Shearer as my proudest moment at Newcastle United.

"Newcastle fans love centre forwards and Michael is a fantastic goalscorer.

"He is someone we would love to build a team around and we hope he can help us bring success to the club."

Before his trip to Tyneside yesterday, Owen had earlier spent time at Liverpool where they were urging him to keep his nerve while they tried to negotiate a deal before the transfer deadline.

Edited by Barney

I would like to Swap JJ for Keane and Carrick.

23073[/snapback]

They'd never let Carrick leave.

Hows about Nobby and Angel for JJ??

23086[/snapback]

Why not? They have Davids, and have just signed Tainio. They have Mendes, Brown, Davis. Now they want JJ.

I'd take Angel like.

I would like to Swap JJ for Keane and Carrick.

23073[/snapback]

They'd never let Carrick leave.

Hows about Nobby and Angel for JJ??

23086[/snapback]

Why not? They have Davids, and have just signed Tainio. They have Mendes, Brown, Davis. Now they want JJ.

I'd take Angel like.

23103[/snapback]

yeah would be good to get Angel, if not for the predictable newspaper headlines!