Hall of shame

Jimbo

Bob Cass - Daily Mail

Sir John Hall's assertion on radio last week that Mike Ashley was the man for Newcastle United was hardly music to the ears of Freddy Shepherd, who lay seriously ill with pneumonia in his hospital bed.

Apparently the former Newcastle chairman’s decision to take the sports goods entrepreneur’s silver was not just of great benefit to his family’s fortunes — it was all done for the good of the club.

Not a lot has changed then since April 1988 when I was instrumental in persuading Sir John to get involved "for the good of the club". And it was ... until he and his son Douglas used boardroom influence to end Sir Bobby Robson’s reign as manager — a decision with which Shepherd, to his eternal regret, complied. He took the fans’ flak while his former associates headed for the hills.

If Sir John’s arrival was "for the good of the club", his departure could be even better!

Reading that article leaves me with one question:

What has John Hall done in the past to piss Bob Cass off?

I don't believe for one minute that Freddy was a puppet in the sacking of SBR - no bloody way!

SIR John Hall and his family have pocketed a staggering £93million from their 17-year involvement with Newcastle United.

The Halls walked away from the club on Wednesday with their cash bonanza that came from an initial investment of less than £10m.

The Sunday Mirror can reveal that 74-year-old Hall's £55,342,223 cash payment from Mike Ashley for his 41.6 per cent stake is just part of the vast fortune he, son Douglas and daughter Allison accrued from their time at St James' Park.

Advertisement

The Halls have taken another £20.35m from share sales, £13.7m from dividends and another £2.4m from salaries.

link

[couldnt find a big enough shocked face smiley to go here]

SIR John Hall and his family have pocketed a staggering £93million from their 17-year involvement with Newcastle United.

The Halls walked away from the club on Wednesday with their cash bonanza that came from an initial investment of less than £10m.

The Sunday Mirror can reveal that 74-year-old Hall's £55,342,223 cash payment from Mike Ashley for his 41.6 per cent stake is just part of the vast fortune he, son Douglas and daughter Allison accrued from their time at St James' Park.

Advertisement

The Halls have taken another £20.35m from share sales, £13.7m from dividends and another £2.4m from salaries.

link

[couldnt find a big enough shocked face smiley to go here]

When you consider the state the club was in when SJH took over and how he left it when he stepped aside in December 1996, I don't begrudge him a penny of that.

He truly did save NUFC. His only mistake was leaving it in the hands of his bumbling fool of a son and his overweight best mate.

Reading that article leaves me with one question:

What has John Hall done in the past to piss Bob Cass off?

I don't believe for one minute that Freddy was a puppet in the sacking of SBR - no bloody way!

The Hall's (especially Feckless) had more to do with it than the flack they've got (or not got) suggests.

It was an utterly stupid decision, but it probably was far from FFS's alone.

Feckless Hall had alwasy been a parasite, but frankly even John Hall has probably used up what he did for the club in what he hasn't done and has help steer badly in the last few years (really from the issues around KK going on).

Edited by Fop

When you consider the state the club was in when SJH took over and how he left it when he stepped aside in December 1996, I don't begrudge him a penny of that.

He truly did save NUFC. His only mistake was leaving it in the hands of his bumbling fool of a son and his overweight best mate.

Agreed. Love the quote when he was just taking over and we were slipping towards division three. Telephoning Keegan, trying to persuade him to come on board, he said "There are only two people who can save Newcastle United and they're talking to each other right now"