Judging Other Team's players

Guest Patrokles

Guest Patrokles

Generally speaking, whenever we're linked with a player, there's the general for/against camps all of whom extol the virtues of/slate the player in question; but, really, how much do any of us know about other team's players, beyond the prominent ones? It'd be impossible to be an avid Newcastle fan but also follow closely another team's games due to scheduling, etc. The way I see it, most are basing their judgement on a few episodes of Monday night football, 4 minute MOTD highlights, and how this player did against us. Does anyone really pay close attention to every premiership match, and 70% of foreign ones to be able to make such judgement either way?

Guest Patrokles

Not a lot tbh. That's why I don't normally comment though. I don't even play FM.

I know fuck all about it too. Come on, let's have everyone else admit it too!

Guest alex

Not a lot tbh. That's why I don't normally comment though. I don't even play FM.

I know fuck all about it too. Come on, let's have everyone else admit it too!

Some of the shit on N-O is amazing like. When we're linked with some foreigner you just know 90% of the people are talking guff. The odd poster is very knowledgeable though.

I agree, it's very difficult to have any real judgement about most players you only see in the odd games live or shown on TV. And at N-O I normally only comment when people talk about players from Jorman clubs - and some of the stuff people come up with is amazing.

Though, I also struggle with the judgement of a lot of people about Newcastle players...

Edited by Isegrim

I don't think you have to watch a player that many times to form an opinion of him, even if they haven't played that well it's still quite easy to spot potential in a player.

Alot of people rave about what they've heard from others rather than forming an opinion of their own, this Anderson lad who's just signed for Man Utd being a good example, I subscribe to Setanta where they show Portuguese football yet I can't remember him ever standing out, some though hear he's been linked with Chelsea and signed for Man Utd so he must be some sort of superstar without ever seeing him play.

I don't think you have to watch a player that many times to form an opinion of him, even if they haven't played that well it's still quite easy to spot potential in a player.

Alot of people rave about what they've heard from others rather than forming an opinion of their own, this Anderson lad who's just signed for Man Utd being a good example, I subscribe to Setanta where they show Portuguese football yet I can't remember him ever standing out, some though hear he's been linked with Chelsea and signed for Man Utd so he must be some sort of superstar without ever seeing him play.

I think its fair enough to think the kid has some talent based on the amount of money that is being spent on him and the fact he was rated one of the best if not the best player in the under 17 championships. Not saying this is always the case though. But sometimes its all we have got to go on.

It's funny when people make an avatar or a banner for their signature of a player before they've even seen them play though... :lol:

Or even worse, after they have seen him play...

i watch a fair bit of footie. mostly highlights and live games on sky - not enough to know anywhere near as much about other clubs' players as well as our own. but i think it's pretty easy to tell after a few games if a player has got anything about them or is a total donkey.