MORT: The players is comin'

Gemmill

You'd wonder what sort of "quality" that Fatty is talking about. If he's thinking of Barzaghli, Heinze or Deco sort of level, that we can't attract due to lack of European football, then maybe taking the option of going for cheaper squad members is a good alternative.

Gemmil and Alex have both mentioned Blackburn players. Hughes has done a great job there. Nonda, Bentley, Ryan Nelson and McCarthy all picked up for cheap fees without the likes of Milan sniffing about.

Fatty?? Fatty??? :baby: I take it you mean our manager :baby:

Yes, players are around who cost not a lot and make a good team so maybe I'm being too pessimistic as to his qualities. Watch him sign for Wigan and prove me right...... :baby::lol::lol:

Gemmil and Alex have both mentioned Blackburn players. Hughes has done a great job there. Nonda, Bentley, Ryan Nelson and McCarthy all picked up for cheap fees without the likes of Milan sniffing about.

Pwecisely!

We're ganging up on you now, snakey. :baby:

A couple of cans of Ace lager and I'll tek yuz aaaallllll :baby:

Pwecisely!

don't forget that Samba geezer, he's a monster at the back, something like 250k wasnt it for him? young too...

Pwecisely!

A couple of cans of Ace lager and I'll tek yuz aaaallllll :baby:

:baby:

Given

Solano

Speed

Lee

Batty

Kilcline

Bellamy

There's no way either Batty or Speed were cheap in the market at the time. And who's the most recent one, Bellamy? Proves the point really.

Given

Solano

Speed

Lee

Batty

Kilcline

Bellamy

There's no way either Batty or Speed were cheap in the market at the time. And who's the most recent one, Bellamy? Proves the point really.

My point was that they weren't world beaters when we signed them.

two came with good reputations and the fees weren't huge.

Given

Solano

Speed

Lee

Batty

Kilcline

Bellamy

My point was that they weren't world beaters when we signed them.

two came with good reputations and the fees weren't huge.

Who got better after arriving then? Lee, Bellamy and Solano. Speed was £5.5m which was top wedge at the time for midfielder, Batty was already a two times league champion, Kilcline was an old experienced head to sort out the defence. If you're on about 'finds' then Lee, Bellamy and Solano fit the bill although we paid a canny bit of money for Bellamy too. If you aren't suggesting they're all 'finds' what point are you making?

I think SA is doing a fair job of playing down expectations ahead of next season. Like others have said, we were flying at the beginning of June, picking up a few cheapies which we hoped would combine with some big money buys which were going to materialise a little later but that hasnt happened. We've cleared out a lot of players and havent even replaced them despite having a paper thin squad last season.

Unless we sign at least 4 players, I think we'll probably struggle in mid table again. The club should be doing enough to sign players which will get us that European spot, which will then take us on to the next level of signings who only want European football. With the state of the mid table prem, this shouldnt be too difficult but will be unless we add some depth to the squad.