One Way to Deal with Drug Dealers

ewerk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6966493.stm

Man in 'tar and feather' attack

The attack is believed to have been carried out by two men

It is thought the attack was carried out by two men wearing balaclavas as a crowd including women and children looked on.

The victim was made to wear a placard reading 'I'm a drug dealing scum bag'.

Frankie Gallagher of the UPRG, the political wing of the UDA, said the paramilitary grouping was not involved in the attack.

Mr Gallagher said that "local people had gone to the UDA to ask them to sort it out", but that it told them to go to the police.

He claims that the police then failed to act on information passed on and that people in the area decided to take the matter into their own hands.

However, Alliance leader David Ford said: "Despite denials from the UPRG, most people will find it very hard to believe that the UDA was not involved in this despicable act."

Northern Ireland's Social Development Margaret Ritchie said that this type of incident had "no place in a civilised society".

"If the UDA is involved it is a stark demonstration of the thuggery and violence which I made clear has to end if the funding to the CTI (Conflict Transformation Initiative) project is to continue," she continued.

Ms Ritchie's direct rule predecessor initiated the £1.2m scheme which aimed to encourage redevelopment in loyalist communities through the UDA aligned UPRG.

On 10 August, Ms Ritchie said she would withdraw support from the project unless there was clear evidence of decommissioning and reduced criminality.

Although the police was made aware of the incident by the time officers arrived in the loyalist estate, neither the victim or his attackers could be found.

"A report of an incident in Finwood Park, Taughmonagh, was received shortly after 10.10pm on Sunday evening," a spokesman said.

If it's true that Police failed to act on information received then that's a pretty sorry state of affairs. Not that I agree with vigilante action but I can understand it sometimes.

generally i think the police are so hamstrung (in a legal context / also with the amount of paperwork that it entails just to do one arrest for example...) that vigilante style behaviour will rise up.

not for one moment would i beleive the police are going to get any better either.

Vigilante action can sometimes be the most effective way of dealing with these problems. Drug dealers in estates are usually well known and in these cases if the paramilitaries can take action on the guilty party where the police are unable to then fair play to them. However if the UDA were involved in this attack then it's a bit hypocritical of them considering that they run quite a few drug rackets themselves.

Vigilante action can sometimes be the most effective way of dealing with these problems. Drug dealers in estates are usually well known and in these cases if the paramilitaries can take action on the guilty party where the police are unable to then fair play to them. However if the UDA were involved in this attack then it's a bit hypocritical of them considering that they run quite a few drug rackets themselves.

Aye I'd have little objection to this on purely "moral" grounds if it's just a case of toothless worthless police and so someone taking action instead.

But if it's more taking care of the opposition that's a bit of a different thing (although I still don't feel in the slightest bit sorry for the dealer).

Vigilante action is not the answer.

I dunno the compact between state and people relies on the police being able to protect and effectively enforce.

How long would it take you to notice if all police officers were sucked into the twilight zone over night? Days? Weeks? Months?

And if the just replaced them with "Community Wardens" would anyone EVER notice?