Sven wants Owen at Man City

Scottish Mag

We won't sign Anelka because we have Ameobi, Chopra and Luque?

Balls

You could even argue he's better than Martins, and Viduka was signed when we could have had Anelka instead.

they still play Newcastle like :unsure:

Sort of sums up Rico's whole argument through out this thread that statement.

What was that comment about you being like the Sun that you told me fuck you for Rico?

Think you just proved to yourself the level of your reporting to be honest.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Independent

Manchester City target £6m Michael Owen deal

By Rob Stewart

Last Updated: 12:13am BST 15/10/2007

Michael Owen's future looked more uncertain than ever yesterday after it was claimed that the England striker could leave Newcastle United next summer for a knock-down £6 million thanks to a get-out clause in his St James' Park contract.

# Manchester City homepage | Newcastle United homepage

# Fans' forum

The Manchester City manager, Sven-Goran Eriksson, is reported to be ready to take advantage of the escape clause that Owen stipulated when he signed for Newcastle from Real Madrid in August 2005 in a £17 million transfer deal that brought him a four-year contract and an estimated wage of £120,000 per week.

advertisement

There have been suggestions that Eriksson is prepared to wait until next summer, when the get-out clause is reactivated, though £10 million would apparently be enough to secure his services in the January transfer window rather than the £15 million City owner Thaksin Shinawatra was said to have been asked to pay.

Thanks to his get-out clause, Owen, who will be 28 in December, was available for £9 million during the last transfer window but his bad luck with injuries seemingly deterred would-be suitors, despite rumoured interest from Manchester United.

The get-out clause will become effective again on July 1 next year, at which time he will have roughly a year left on his current deal at Newcastle, where manager Sam Allardyce has publicly denied suggestions of a rift with Owen.

A source close to the club said: "The get-out clause that Michael Owen demanded when he signed for Newcastle will become active again next summer. Each year his value on the books is reduced and by next summer it will be in the region of £5 million to £6 million.

"That means that Manchester City or any other club can come in and trigger his release by matching that figure. Newcastle are powerless to stop him moving on.

"Manchester City wouldn't be his ideal choice, but none of the big four was interested in him this year.

"Newcastle would probably be wise to sell him in January if they could because they would obviously land a bigger fee. In any case, they dare not let him get into the final year of his deal without signing a new one because he could then leave for nothing on June 30, 2009."

David Beckham will launch his challenge for a place in England's Euro 2008 showdown with Croatia next month when he makes his LA Galaxy comeback on Thursday.

"I'm hoping to have some involvement in the games over the next week or so," said Beckham, who has had knee and ankle problems.

Another shocker by fat fred if this is true =/

I definitely reckon Anelka will arrive here at some stage, whether it be the summer or January (more likely next summer imo). I think either Martins or Owen will leave too. There was quite a lot of speculation about the former being available to other clubs last summer and Owen may well want away.

Balls

You could even argue he's better than Martins, and Viduka was signed when we could have had Anelka instead.

What was that comment about you being like the Sun that you told me fuck you for Rico?

Someone said we didn't go for Anelka because we had 7 strikers. Read the thread.

Balls

Someone said we didn't go for Anelka because we had 7 strikers. Read the thread.

I've read the thread and only one person mentions the fact that Luque and Chopra (who has been away from the club since the end of 05/06 by the way) are two strikers of the seven at the club!

Keep up with the facts please.

Let me help you with the strikers we have on our books: Owen, Martins, Viduka, Smith, Ameobi & Carroll and if you include Luque because he let late in the window that would make seven, no? Still does it help or detract from your argument?

Balls

I've read the thread and only one person mentions the fact that Luque and Chopra (who has been away from the club since the end of 05/06 by the way) are two strikers of the seven at the club!

Let me help you with the strikers we have on our books: Owen, Martins, Viduka, Smith, Ameobi & Carroll and if you include Luque because he let late in the window that would make seven, no? Still does it help or detract from your argument?

What is your point exactly?

I don't care if we had seven or 50 strikers at the club, Viduka and Smith were bought when we could have got Anelka, who is arguably better than anyone else here other than Owen and maybe Martins. It's ridicuolus to say we wouldn't buy him because we had enough 'strikers', and that Allardyce can only concentrate on one thing at a time. Either he didn't want to come here or Sam doesn't want him full stop.

Viduka and Smith are completely different types of striker to Anelka though. Owen and Martins are more similar to him. It would have probably taken one of them leaving last summer to see him arrive. Just my opinion like, I can see where you're coming from and Anelka is probably more versatile than any of the others mentioned.

Balls

I don't care if we had seven or 50 strikers at the club, Viduka and Smith were bought when we could have got Anelka, who is arguably better than anyone else here other than Owen and maybe Martins. It's ridicuolus to say we wouldn't buy him because we had enough 'strikers', and that Allardyce can only concentrate on one thing at a time. Either he didn't want to come here or Sam doesn't want him full stop.

Sorry but bullshit, you are now just going around and around in circles.

Read Alex's post if you want an insight.

Plus before we go any further, explain why you though Chopra was still at the club?

Balls

Sorry but bullshit, you are now just going around and around in circles.

Read Alex's post if you want an insight.

Plus before we go any further, explain why you though Chopra was still at the club?

I was trying to think of all the shit players that could possibly be included in 7 strikers stopping us buying Anelka, apologies for this glaring oversight. ;) And your point had nothing to do with Alex's, his at least has a shred of believability in it, although Sam has already bought a few similar type players that look to be becoming surplus soon, but he has form at Bolton for buying more players than he needs and letting the team shake down afterwards. Why is he going to change that now when he has more money than he did at Bolton?

Sorry Rico but I think from the evidence we've all seen you are mistaken regarding the money he had available for transfers. He addressed the areas he knew were in need of immediate attention and as others have said he was prepared to live with the strikers he had unless one of either martins or owen left.

Earlier in this thread someone I think said to you, I'll see you in ???? months then - likewise about both my Saha prediction and Owen.

Sorry Rico but I think from the evidence we've all seen you are mistaken regarding the money he had available for transfers. He addressed the areas he knew were in need of immediate attention and as others have said he was prepared to live with the strikers he had unless one of either martins or owen left.

Earlier in this thread someone I think said to you, I'll see you in ???? months then - likewise about both my Saha prediction and Owen.

It's a deal ;) . Pointless thread anyway, I've move onto Lidl now :unsure: