Roz and Tayls unlucky to be dropped

Scottish Mag

SAM Allardyce says defenders Steven Taylor and David Rozehnal have done nothing wrong – despite finding themselves out of his starting XI.

The pair missed out on starting berths against Everton and Tottenham Hotspur, though Rozenhal came off the bench in both games.

And manager Sam Allardyce believes competition for places is finally getting interesting at Newcastle United.

The United boss arguably had his strongest bench of the season to call upon for Monday night's game against Spurs at St James's Park, a 3-1 win for his side.

Big names Rozenhal, Joey Barton, James Milner, Shola Ameobi, and Steve Harper all missed out on a place in the starting XI, while fans' favourite Taylor did not even make the bench.

Allardyce admits Rozehnal and Taylor, among others, have been unlucky to lose their places after starting the season as his first-choice centre-halves.

But the 54-year-old – whose injury problems are slowly easing – insists he is not afraid to upset players, believing fierce competition can only be good for the club.

He told the Gazette: "David's done nothing wrong at all, and Steven Taylor hasn't done much wrong either, and he didn't get on the subs bench.

"That's a measure of what I've been trying to get in terms of the squad.

"Keeping them all fit's been a problem, but once they all do get fit then it's going to be a battle for the team and the subs bench, and I think that's really healthy.

"It's going to frustrate and upset a few players, but if we're winning games of football – and that's happening – they have to accept it.

"When they get in the team, they have to fight to keep the shirt.

"That grows the spirit and culture of the club, and it grows the desire to play with that shirt and not give it up.

"That's what a manager's really looking for."

Not unlucky to be dropped at all, its in the best interest of the club, they should be happy about that (not about getting dropped) but about us doing so well. Faye and Cacapa have been class along side each other.

from what i gather, taylors the one making the most mistakes.

that for me says enough.

the only weakness with cacapa and faye is neither are exactly lightning quick over the ground. rozenhal is the only one with pace.. but aint so good in the air...

from what i gather, taylors the one making the most mistakes.

that for me says enough.

the only weakness with cacapa and faye is neither are exactly lightning quick over the ground. rozenhal is the only one with pace.. but aint so good in the air...

and their age.

Its amazing that in no time at all Big Sam has got us to a stage where Taylor and Rozenhal are not able to get into the team as CB's and in Taylors case not even make the bench. Last season Rozenhal would have been our best defender never mind CB and Taylor was a first team regular when fit.

On current form the two in possesion deserve their places, but with injury suspensions and the african nations to come they'll all get chances to stake a claim. Also Rozenhal has said he played alot of games i France as a defensive midfielder so its always another option.

Its amazing that in no time at all Big Sam has got us to a stage where Taylor and Rozenhal are not able to get into the team as CB's and in Taylors case not even make the bench. Last season Rozenhal would have been our best defender never mind CB and Taylor was a first team regular when fit.

On current form the two in possesion deserve their places, but with injury suspensions and the african nations to come they'll all get chances to stake a claim. Also Rozenhal has said he played alot of games i France as a defensive midfielder so its always another option.

Played there when he came on against spurs for a little while. Also seems get forward which is a good sign.

I think Roz's best position could be at DM, especially in this league where centre-backs have to be more physical than anyone else on the team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSj5vsixFZ4

check out his goal around 1:30 and some of his forward pass and moving play before it. He is a calming influence on the ball and we've seen how he can read a game very well =) If Butt get's injured or has a couple of shockers I'd like to see Roz tested there.

Edited by bassplayerjj