Fitness Front: Gaffer Hoping For Triple Boost

khay

You're arguing about something different now although I don't agree with your assessment of Emre in particular. I'll quote you to maje it easier:

"look at our squad now (on paper) and you'd expect us to be doing far better than we actually are."

I disagree with that completely. What makes you think we're that good 'on paper.' Now, I mean. Since you were also talking about now and that's the bit I took issue with.

no i'm not. my argument is a valid one and backed up by the points above. i'll repeat them to make it easier for you

look at the squad on paper and we should be doing better. why? i hear you cry. well, there are a number of coveted players in our squad who have underachieved since they've been at the club - owen, duff and emre to name just three. these our players that clubs above us like blackburn, everton, pompey etc would all be in for if they became available. so on paper, we have players with big reputations. in reality they continue to underaciheve.

Anyway mate. I don't want to make a big thing out of it. I know you think I'm just disagreeing for the sake of it but I'm not. Some players may be underachieving but if you look at Duff - I reckon it's unlikely he'll be the player he was but you can't judge him until he comes back. Owen is about 70% the player he was and he was always the sort he needed to be in a good side to do well and Emre is injury-prone and inconsistent. And for coveted players I can't think of a single official bid despite rumours of their being unhappy here and release clauses etc. Those are just three individuals though and my point is that, while you may be right that they are underachieving / have underachieved the fact remains, imo, that the squad as a whole is average so I don't see where this expectation that we should be doing much better comes from, given we're 10th. Especially when you look at the changes the squad has undergone, plus the changes off the pitch. We just aren't that good.

You even mentioned 'now' in your post so if your not even going to admit that you were talking about that what's the point? ;)

jesus mate. re-read what i posted. i really don't think there's anything there to disagree with. fair play if you want to continue this ding dong but i think i'll give it up now. i stand by everything i've said in this thread. i like a moan as good as the next man but i'm making a legitimate point.

anyhoo. here it is again

as always, we look half decent on paper but ultimately we underachieve. it's been like this since sir bobby and imo reflects the quality of manager we've had since he was sacked.

look at our squad now (on paper) and you'd expect us to be doing far better than we actually are. sadly it seems that players seem to lose either their talent or their motivation when they sign for us

Edited by Dr Gloom

Our squad is decent on paper and as good as most of the other clubs above us apart from the top 4, however what those teams have that we don't is "door openers" as Souness liked to put it.

Man City - Elano

Everton - Arteta, Cahill

Portsmouth - Utaka

Villa - Young

Blackburn - Bentley

We don't have a player like this, someone who can pick the ball up in midfield and make things happen, we've gone down the route of having grafters rather than that creative spark, if this is put right I can see us climbing up the league and having a much better season next year.

I wouldn't mind but Dan doesn't even go to the games.

who are you, leazesmag? ;) i'm clearly less of a fan than you because i don't have a season ticket

but for the record, i do get to a handful of games per season.

I wouldn't mind but Dan doesn't even go to the games.

who are you, leazesmag? ;) i'm clearly less of a fan than you because i don't have a season ticket

but for the record, i do get to a handful of games per season.

Howay man, that was a joke.

Our squad is decent on paper and as good as most of the other clubs above us apart from the top 4, however what those teams have that we don't is "door openers" as Souness liked to put it.

Man City - Elano

Everton - Arteta, Cahill

Portsmouth - Utaka

Villa - Young

Blackburn - Bentley

We don't have a player like this, someone who can pick the ball up in midfield and make things happen, we've gone down the route of having grafters rather than that creative spark, if this is put right I can see us climbing up the league and having a much better season next year.

i agree. i wonder if alex will argue with you for a page and a half of this thread for basically agreeing with my post.

I thought you were dropping this about 5 posts ago. Not being funny either Dan but Baggio is in the middle of our views imo. He says we're as good as the others on paper but we lack that creative spark. That's the thing that sets us apart from the teams above us imo (esp. those directly above us). That and the brand new defence still getting to know each other and the league - again no surprise we're mid-table.

Man City - Elano

Everton - Arteta, Cahill

Portsmouth - Utaka

Villa - Young

Blackburn - Bentley

i agree. i wonder if alex will argue with you for a page and a half of this thread for basically agreeing with my post.

I thought you were dropping this about 5 posts ago. Not being funny either Dan but Baggio is in the middle of our views imo. He says we're as good as the others on paper but we lack that creative spark. That's the thing that sets us apart from the teams above us imo (esp. those directly above us). That and the brand new defence still getting to know each other and the league - again no surprise we're mid-table.

you know what, fuck it. i'm not dropping it. i'm hungover and in the mood for wasting a bit of my day with a good old pointless online argument

you wrote:

You're the one who constantly moans about (along with everything else) there being no creativity in midfield and yet you're saying at the same time we should be doing much better than we are. You're that obsessed with complaining about everything that you don't even realise the contradiction.

i said we're better than most of the teams above us on paper so we're underachieving. you accused me of contradiciting myself as i also moan about our lack of creativity by the very same players.

looks to me like baggio is making exactly the same points

you know what, fuck it. i'm not dropping it. i'm hungover and in the mood for wasting a bit of my day with a good old pointless online argument

you wrote:

You're the one who constantly moans about (along with everything else) there being no creativity in midfield and yet you're saying at the same time we should be doing much better than we are. You're that obsessed with complaining about everything that you don't even realise the contradiction.

i said we're better than most of the teams above us on paper so we're underachieving. you accused me of contradiciting myself as i also moan about our lack of creativity by the very same players.

I don't think we are better than most of the teams above us on paper though and neither does Baggio say that.

you wrote:

I don't think we are better than most of the teams above us on paper though and neither does Baggio say that.

he said

and i agree with him. i think we should be doing better than we are mostly because the players are underachieving (they should be doing better on paper ;) ). our attacking players are either injured, not performing, or being played out of position by the manager.

As good (minus a 'door opener') is different to better though.

i agree with bagio when he says:

Our squad is decent on paper and as good as most of the other clubs above us apart from the top 4

that's why i think we're underachieving. we're as good if not better than most of the teams above us on paper yet we're lucky to be tenth after playing a brand of football so ugly it makes the wimbledon side of the 80s look like holland side of 74.

You're ignoring the rest of Baggio's post (conveniently) about the squad lacking a door opener though. I'd say we're as good as those above us (minus the top 4) too apart from having a playmaker / 'door opener'. That's why 10th is about right imo.

You're ignoring the rest of Baggio's post (conveniently) about the squad lacking a door opener though. I'd say we're as good as those above us (minus the top 4) too apart from having a playmaker / 'door opener'. That's why 10th is about right imo.

i'm not. i agree that we lack creativity (don't you remember accusing me of saying as much?) but the creative players we do have (duff, emre) have underachieved while playing for us while others like milner and n'zogbia have been wasted out of position. so basically, we're not doing as well as we should be on paper ;)

how long can we keep this up for?