Shearer & Keegan

spongebob toonpants

Former Newcastle United manager Kevin Keegan is not ruling himself 'in or out' of a return to the club he 'loves'.

Keegan has emerged as a popular choice to replace Sam Allardyce at St James' Park after Harry Redknapp's decision to stay at Portsmouth.

Reports have claimed that Keegan could form a managerial 'dream team' with Magpies legend Alan Shearer.

When asked about any interest in a second stint as Newcastle boss by Sky Sports News, Keegan admitted he had not had time to think about the subject.

However, he acknowledged his affection for the club and did not dismiss the possibility of another stab at the job.

"I'm not ruling myself in or out, or anything," Keegan told Sky Sports News.

"It's a club I love and that's all I'm prepared to say. Everybody knows that. It's a club I've managed before."

Keegan's first spell as Newcastle manager started in February 1992 as he kept the team in the old Division Two before winning the title the following year.

He led the club to third spot in their first campaign in the Premier League and blew a 12-point lead at the top in the 1995/96 season.

After leaving the club in January 1997, Keegan had spells in charge of Fulham, England and Manchester City, which was his last managerial position almost three years ago.

Must say I am well surprised at how non-commital he's being about it. Keegan is usually the kind of person who will immediately rule himself out of something if he has no interest at all.

Up until now I'd considered that returning to NUFC is not even a possibility. Who knows, eh?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could imagine him taking the job on a whim like, he's that type of bloke.

When you can earn £6M in a few months you don't rush into spurning that kind of opportunity.

:lol: Cynic.

Yes he is. I really hope he doesn't though, As the original Messiah (AD) I would hate to see him fall from grace, and it's a risk he doesn't need to take.

Yes he is. I really hope he doesn't though, As the original Messiah (AD) I would hate to see him fall from grace, and it's a risk he doesn't need to take.

You're Jesus Christ? :lol:;)

That could be one take on it, certainly :rolleyes:

That could be one take on it, certainly :rolleyes:

I'd spend all my time turning water into wine if I were you.

You're Jesus Christ? :lol::rolleyes:

It would certainly account for all the babbling bullshit ;)

You're Jesus Christ? :lol:<_<

It would certainly account for all the babbling bullshit :rolleyes:

he's talking about me not you ;)

You're Jesus Christ? :lol:<_<

It would certainly account for all the babbling bullshit :rolleyes:

he's talking about me not you ;)

<_<

I know you are but what am I tastic.

Keegan as DoF maybe with Shearer as Manager. It goes against all of my better instincts, but at least everyone would be swimming the same direction. If Hughes gets the job there's always going to be those who feel cheated that we didn't get the Dream Team.

Shearer and Keegan would need to make it known though to those that matter that they will take the job if asked. They don't need to be diplomatic like Hughes who is in employment. Capello didn't make any secret of the fact he wanted to boss England did he?

Shearer could succeed says Roeder

Former Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder says Alan Shearer has what it takes to be a success as the club's manager.

"Alan is a future Newcastle manager, and he might well be the next one," the Norwich boss told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"All on his own, without an experienced backroom team, I think the job would be very difficult.

"But if he appointed a very experienced backroom team to help him get through the first few seasons, then I believe Alan would be a winning manager."

Roeder, who resigned as Newcastle boss in May 2007, managed Shearer as the striker's playing days ended in 2006.

Speculation surrounding the job is rife following the shock exit of Sam Allardyce on Wednesday, with former boss Kevin Keegan also linked with the role.

And after Harry Redknapp rejected the chance to move to St James' Park, the Portsmouth manager voiced his belief that Shearer is the ideal for the role.

"I'd give Shearer the job. I think he's perfect for it," he said.

"He'd set the place alight and the fans love him. Experience doesn't matter - he understands football.

"He would just need to bring a couple of experienced people in alongside him. It wouldn't be a problem for him."

Redknapp added: "We're kidding ourselves that experience is what is needed. [sunderland manager] Roy Keane had no experience but he knows what he's doing. He's different class.

"I listen to Roy, I watch him and there's only one place he's going and that is right to the top. I don't see why Alan can't do that.

"Because of what he means to the place and what the fans think of him and what a player he's been, he'd be absolutely perfect."

You do need some experience, otherwise you are learning on the job

But life president and former Newcastle chairman Sir John Hall told 5 Live's Sportsweek programme that the Toon Army's idol was not ready to fill the hotseat.

"Alan is the most dedicated professional I have ever met and a great man. But he would want to come in at the right time, and now is probably too early," he said.

Hall added he could not envisage former team boss Kevin Keegan returning, even with Shearer alongside him.

"Kevin has had his time and I don't think he and his family would want to return."

Former England manager Steve McClaren is another who feels that the time is not right for Shearer to become Newcastle manager.

"You do need some experience otherwise you are learning on the job," he said.

"I am a big advocate of getting your coaching qualifications and then serving your apprenticeships and learning the job at a lower level."