Shearer & Keegan

spongebob toonpants

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where the fuck is the 'Shearer and Keegan out' thread?

Standards are slipping ;)

Unlike your ava, Jill. That surely must be the longest serving ava on the board?

Just got a new laptop and got nowt on it so had to raid the webspace for an avatar. Thought an old classic couldn't go far wrong.. :lol:

Standards are slipping :rolleyes:

Unlike your ava, Jill. That surely must be the longest serving ava on the board?

Just got a new laptop and got nowt on it so had to raid the webspace for an avatar. Thought an old classic couldn't go far wrong.. ;)

go for it girl...nowt wrong with THAT chest :lol:

Standards are slipping ;)

Just got a new laptop and got nowt on it so had to raid the webspace for an avatar. Thought an old classic couldn't go far wrong.. :lol:

It's so old it's from before he got any hairs on his chest!

Anyway enough of the Speed love in, i can see the snail trails from here!!!!

I'm on the bandwagon too Spongebob, i was kind of against it but as the time goes on i think i would love it if we got them LOVE IT

Might be the best pseudo-realistic appointment we could hope for. Still would doubt it occurring though, and if it happened the potential for spectacular implosion and yet more soap opera moments is definitely there.

You don't think Keegan was worse in his time post-Newcastle than Redknapp has been in a similar period?

When it comes to managers I think it is not only always about quality. Of course there are the likes of Capello, Hitzfeld, Ferguson, Mourinho, Robson etc. who would probably walk into every job and do ok. But I think that most often it depends on the chemistry between club and manager. They have to share a mutual understanding that creates a positive buzz which helps both sides to (over)achieve. At Newcastle Keegan was able to create this buzz for several years, other arguably mediocre managers are able to create it for a shorter period of time, e.g. with newly promoted teams.

The biggest problem with the most recent appointments was always that they were greeted with indifference at best, disaffirmation at most. Souness, Roeder and Allardyce had to fail because they were never able to build a relationship with the club. Roeder's temporal success was foremost a result from the buzz created by the sacking of the preceding tosser. It went the moment he got appointed permanently.

Journalists often get rightly criticised for stereotyping Newcastle fans (rather lose 4-3 than win ugly etc.). Though, they are probably right about the pressure of fans. They can create an atmosphere were a manager can only fail unless he works wonders to win them over. Imho the biggest task in appointing a new manager is to chose a person that isn't greeted with discomfort by the majority which results in hostility the moment things are not going to plan immidiately - which then gets misinterpreted into fickleness (is this a word?).

Keegan might be past it as a manager and done horrific jobs at England and Man City. But in the right constellation, maybe with Shearer and the right coaching staff (like Irvine and Fazackerley in the past) it might work to re-install a feel-good feeling about the club which is more likely to bring success than the constant doom and gloom of the last three years.

Might shape Owen up as well. :lol:

Do they not hate each others guts then (Owen and Keegan)?

Bastard, I was just coming back to edit my post about that. ;)

What's the back story there then?

Apparently when he was England manager Keegan never rated Owen and would always pick on him so to speak in training in front of everyone, just saying all he had was pace and nothing else.