Transfers (Or Lack Of)

JaMoUsE

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see a creative midfielder signed if possible but otherwise agree with the "assess and wait" pov.

Look at the stories saying we are after full backs when I think Enrique is beginning to show himself to be a decent player and Keegan hasn't seen Beye (Or Faye for that matter regarding CBs). People might say we need cover which is fair enough but I'll commit heresy now and say Carr has been decent since he came back.

People are now starting to think we can rely on Emre and Martins to be a creative force. I don't think I've ever been as depressed.

The only thing you should be depressed about is what genuine, good, quality players want to come to our club. I'm not just talking about this transfer window, but the past the present and the future despite the Keegan-factor.

That is reality...

If the likes of Pompey can attract good players we shouldn't have a problem.

Obviously I hope you're right. :rolleyes:

But as KK has said, he won't bring in players for the sake of it, and kudos to that, but world class players in the north where we are???

Hasn't happened for a long, long time.

A forward that scores goals would be nice.

Or even a midfielder who can.

We're a side desperately short of goals. Signing Woodgate would have been nice just to see we're still able to attract players, but it's going forward where we need to concentrate.

It's a good thing IMO. Keegan will get time to assess the squad properly and then make signings where needed. He'll have a far better idea which players are capable of performing when it matters, something you can't judge in a few games.

I take this view 100%. Also if he manages to get under performing players playing again for the rest of the season then he will be in a better position to flog them come the end of it should he decide they have no long term place. While selling isn't seen as important as buying at the present time, the fact is we're going to need a strong squad, with cover all over the park and a load of BSA's cast offs languishing in the reserves aren't going to provide this even if it looks like they do on paper.

This season is a complete write off now as far as any tangible achievements are concerned (cups/league placings being of importance bar relegation) so the January window isn't important. The danger for me was that we'd have got shafted in it and ended up with compromise signings anyway.

The only caveat to the above is that the 'Keegan affect' does seem to need momentum from a relatively early stage to truly work it's wonders. A lack of signings can clearly potentially detract from this so it's now time for everyone to pull together (particularly in light of the shit we're going to get from the press) and just stay as enthusiastic and united about the positives as we can do until the summer. There will be better football played from now until the end of May and t hat in the short term is reason to keep banging the Keegan drum and shove it up the press! We've got our bit to do an all in attracting these players next summer!

I would like to see a creative midfielder signed if possible but otherwise agree with the "assess and wait" pov.

Look at the stories saying we are after full backs when I think Enrique is beginning to show himself to be a decent player and Keegan hasn't seen Beye (Or Faye for that matter regarding CBs). People might say we need cover which is fair enough but I'll commit heresy now and say Carr has been decent since he came back.

Even the creative midfielder we need - how could Keegan have identified one after being out of touch for so long by his own admission? He'll have a far clearer idea by the summer who he wants and those in the squad who are worth keeping. Milner's one of those for me who flatters to deceive. Keegan might think he's great on seeing him in training for example, but a lot of these players go missing when the heat is on. These are the things you find out as the season unravels.

Even the creative midfielder we need - how could Keegan have identified one after being out of touch for so long by his own admission? He'll have a far clearer idea by the summer who he wants and those in the squad who are worth keeping. Milner's one of those for me who flatters to deceive. Keegan might think he's great on seeing him in training for example, but a lot of these players go missing when the heat is on. These are the things you find out as the season unravels.

With all due respect the club should have a list of analysed targets unless it operates contrary to all other PL clubs.

Do people think other clubs will wait around for that pool of desirable players till the summer so we can get our act together/wait/watch/scratch arse? :icon_lol:

What pool of desirable players?

Are you saying SA and the muppets before and our scouts and agent contacts are all magically blind, deaf and dumb or summat? :rolleyes:

Edited by Park Life

With all due respect the club should have a list of analysed targets unless it operates contrary to all other PL clubs.

????

Drawn up by whom like? We've just changed managers..unless you simply want Kev to adopt BSA's list, if he should happen to find it on the dressing room floor?

????

Drawn up by whom like? We've just changed managers..unless you simply want Kev to adopt BSA's list, if he should happen to find it on the dressing room floor?

So everyone at the club is waiting for KK (3 years out of the game) to identify targets?

This watch and wait stuff reads well and placates various anxieties (of which there are many) but it is totally detached from the reality of the market.

Good players are monitored by clubs all around the world continually, they don't pick up the phone the day the window opens. Agents are continually asked what is what. The club over the last couple of years (and it has said so itself) has been working much harder on the scouting network. Clubs test players resolve to stay or come in various ways. There is absolutely no logic in this lets asses in the summer argument - Pearson and Round will be able to tell KK pretty much all he needs to know about the current players. Good players need to be approached (maybe not purchased) as soon as possible or we continue to fall behind.

Edited by Park Life

????

Exactly. Seeing as the two managers have a completely opposed viewpoint as to how the game should be played, what makes you think they'll be wanting the same players? Is Kevin Nolan going to be our new playmaker then?

????

So everyone at the club is waiting for KK (3 years out of the game) to identify targets?

Erm....that's one of his main functions.

Besides, if you're wanting to take this out of KK's hands and are premising this on what our scouting network will have had their eye on recently (established talent) then this argument fails too as they're going to have been very much 'on message' from the previous manager(s). BSA for instance wouldn't have let them through the door to talk about the types of player that Keegan would be interested in - so they'll have been looking at targets that fit the BSA system/Souness (forget Roeder) system before that.

PS your edited (substantiated) post makes the point better, but I still think you're being unrealistic. Everyone will have a general, anecdotal knowledge of which players out there, but the focus under BSA especially will have very much been on a particular type of player. Thus I think if you're talking in terms of actually having had the types of player KK would potentially be interested in monitored prior to Kev's arrival I think you're way off. There's no chance of that having happened.

Edited by manc-mag

????

Besides, if you're wanting to take this out of KK's hands and are premising this on what our scouting network will have had their eye on recently (established talent) then this argument fails too as they're going to have been very much 'on message' from the previous manager(s). BSA for instance wouldn't have let them through the door to talk about the types of player that Keegan would be interested in - so they'll have been looking at targets that fit the BSA system/Souness system before that.

It's not about SA's players or KK's players its about tracking and securing and watchng good players.

We need a creative AM and one or two others by all accounts now, waiting till the summer or the winter after isn't going to change that, infact waiting to contact agents (with a pool of players under his wing) till the summer is ridiculous...Join the queue.

They need to get on with it of course the bulk of the new side will be purchased in the summer, but that shouldn't preclude us testing the market now.

The fact that we so far have gone for the semi-crock Woodgate doesn't bode well either.

Edited by Park Life

????

Besides, if you're wanting to take this out of KK's hands and are premising this on what our scouting network will have had their eye on recently (established talent) then this argument fails too as they're going to have been very much 'on message' from the previous manager(s). BSA for instance wouldn't have let them through the door to talk about the types of player that Keegan would be interested in - so they'll have been looking at targets that fit the BSA system/Souness system before that.

It's not about SA's players or KK's players its about tracking and securing and watchng good players.

We need a creative AM and one or two others by all accounts now, waiting till the summer or the winter after isn't going to change that, infact waiting to contact agents (with a pool of players under his wing) till the summer is ridiculous...Join the queue.

edited my post to respond to your edit.

PS yes the summer is going to be a free for all, but then that was always going to be the case. It always is.

????

edited my post to respond to your edit.

PS yes the summer is going to be a free for all, but then that was always going to be the case. It always is.

By default I'm probably making the case for a DOF which will make Baggio happy. :rolleyes:

I would imagine that Keegan was brought here because he's been a pretty good judge of players in the past. He's unlikely to just buy a player because someone else thinks he's good. There's no point in buying players unless you know they are what you want.

I can't remember KK admitting that like?, i can remember him saying that people seem to think 3 years is a lifetime, and also he's never been to a live game but still managed to watch and even listen (phone-ins etc), so minus these excuses I'm suprised that he hasn't signed anyone yet, it's got to have been mentioned in meetings before about the current crop of dross at the club.

Edited by @yourservice

I would imagine that Keegan was brought here because he's been a pretty good judge of players in the past. He's unlikely to just buy a player because someone else thinks he's good. There's no point in buying players unless you know they are what you want.

How long is this operation which is now taking on biblical proportions expected to take?

Will KK in the dead of night be peeking in their windows to check on their diet?

:rolleyes:

I can't remember KK admitting that like?, i can remember him saying that people seem to think 3 years is a lifetime, and also he's never been to a live game but still managed to watch and even listen (phone-ins etc), so minus these excuses I'm suprised that he hasn't signed anyone yet, it's got to have been mentioned in meetings before about the current crop of dross at the club.

So watching MOTD, and listening to phone-ins is how managers assess their transfer targets? Well who'd have thought..? :rolleyes:

How long is this operation which is now taking on biblical proportions expected to take?

Will KK in the dead of night be peeking in their windows to check on their diet?

:rolleyes:

Keegan's into his 2nd week of management and he hasn't signed anyone yet. Is it a disaster (possibly biblical?) Maybe. Who knows? He might just be doing it on purpose to wind up people needing instant answers. For quick relief you could always buy a wank mag.