Anyone work for Acer

maggiespaws

Ok, this is a long shot but....

I have an Acer Aspire 5920G laptop with Vista Home Prem. When it first arrived I wasn't able to create the restore disks because the DVD drive would not recognise I had inserted a blank DVD. It went back to Acer and because of other issues with the machine (video card) they supposedly replaced the DVD drive and video card.

They returned it after nearly 3 weeks (despite telling me it would only be 10 days) still with video problems. I couldn't return it to them straight away as it is my work PC and the only one I have for the office.

Long story short, I've tried a Vista reinstall from the 'upgrade' disk that came with the PC. Turns out, this just does a clean install of Vista. That would be ok except I still have the same problems (after installing all the drivers and utils for my model from the Acer website). Trouble is, because it turned out to be a clean install (not what I expected), I no longer have access to a hidden partition (which I didn't know I had) which can restore the laptop back to factory settings. Acer want £50 to sort the hard drive despite the fact they originally said they'd send me a set of restore disks (when they returned my laptop) because I wasn't able to create them myself.

Before I lose the will to live, does anyone work for Acer or has a recent Acer 3000 or 5000 series laptop. They apparently share the same disc image.

I now cannot use the lcd display as the screen is permanently on the very lowest brightness setting (even though it's set to full). All I can see is a very faint picture. Laptop function keys no longer work. Managed to squint my way to setting up an external monitor in 'clone' mode so I have backed up my files. It's still under warranty and will be going back to Acer, I'd just rather send it back with factory default to give them one less thing to blame it on. I get the impression this will all be my fault if their original OS is not installed - even though the problems existed before I reinstalled.

Worst.Laptop.Ever - and over the years I've had 7.

Where did you buy it from? They should be the first port of call I reckon.

Laptops Direct I can't take it back to them however as their policy (supposedly dictated by Acer) is that outside 7 days all issues are dealt with by Acer. That's where I had to send it the first time. Laptops DIrect were no help at all. I got short shrift from some bint from yorkshire who got quite short with me when I tired to get them to take it back the first time.

I'll never buy an Acer again and I'll never buy anything else form laptops direct as their customer services totally sucks. I've even tried unsubscribing from their mailing list 5 times now. Might email them and tell them they are in breach of European Law by not removing me.

Edited by maggiespaws

Wacky:

Yes, I've tried looking on various torrent sites. Found one ideal torrent - no seeders. Left it trying to connect and nothing. Looks dead. Sma eone has been posted on several torrent sites.

As for your 2nd link - that's not the one I need but I'm looking around the site to see if they do have something.

Cheers Paws

Update - No joy. THe link to the 5920 Vista recovery disk takes you to a page offering an XP recovery disk????

Edited by maggiespaws

I've got an Acer 5720. The recovery disk which I had to burn from within Vista corrupted, and I only discovered it when trying to reinstall.

Unless you REALLY need Vista, I would just download a load of XP drivers from their site and stick XP on it. My 5720 was really sluggish with Vista, and now it works like a 'proper' computer under XP.

You might have a few problems getting some of the more obscure drivers for XP, like the SD card or the webcam, but they can be found from the many confusing international versions of Acer support sites.

I would never put Vista back on this lappy.

I've got the exact same laptop - I shit you not, got it from Tesco's for 499 last month. Had nee bother with it whatsoever but I ain't done owt like what you are on about!! You lost me in the first few sentences tbh!!

Anyway, is yours not under guarantee still?

Don't know if or how I can help u by having the same laptop like but will if I can.

Wacky:

Yes, I've tried looking on various torrent sites. Found one ideal torrent - no seeders. Left it trying to connect and nothing. Looks dead. Sma eone has been posted on several torrent sites.

As for your 2nd link - that's not the one I need but I'm looking around the site to see if they do have something.

Cheers Paws

Update - No joy. THe link to the 5920 Vista recovery disk takes you to a page offering an XP recovery disk????

Then do the smart thing and fuck vista off and install XP on it - it will run faster and generally be a better machine without the crap called vista on it.

Paws, second thing you do is email Acer direct in Taiwan (their addy is on the acer web site), they don't like bad feedback and watch how quickly it gets repaired.

I've got the exact same laptop - I shit you not, got it from Tesco's for 499 last month. Had nee bother with it whatsoever but I ain't done owt like what you are on about!! You lost me in the first few sentences tbh!!

Don't know if or how I can help u by having the same laptop like but will if I can.

Make your e-recovery discs and don't do shit with the hidden partition. Mine's getting picked up today to be returned to acer (I took out the extended warranty - covers 'accidental' damage). I reckon if I dont get it sorted this time it's getting 'accidentally' dropped down the stairs or something.

If you make your e-recovery discs could you do me a copy. I might be able to restore mine back to it's original state. I'll send some discs etc.

It's a canny laptop when it's not causing problems.

Wacky:

Cheers Paws

Then do the smart thing and fuck vista off and install XP on it - it will run faster and generally be a better machine without the crap called vista on it.

Paws, second thing you do is email Acer direct in Taiwan (their addy is on the acer web site), they don't like bad feedback and watch how quickly it gets repaired.

It's a business machine and I have a licence agreement with Microsoft - all Vista stuff. One I buy a new desktop machine for the office I think I'll demote this laptop to presentation use. Seems crazy for a laptop I only bought 7months ago for over £700.

As for the suggestion about emailing Taiwan - good call. I might just do that.

Make your e-recovery discs and don't do shit with the hidden partition. Mine's getting picked up today to be returned to acer (I took out the extended warranty - covers 'accidental' damage). I reckon if I dont get it sorted this time it's getting 'accidentally' dropped down the stairs or something.

If you make your e-recovery discs could you do me a copy. I might be able to restore mine back to it's original state. I'll send some discs etc.

You say that as if I know what the fuck you are on about!!! :lol:

At least I know now I got a good deal on mine if you paid 700 anyway!!

You say that as if I know what the fuck you are on about!!! :lol:

At least I know now I got a good deal on mine if you paid 700 anyway!!

Dare I say it.... read the manual that came with it. Acer want to charge me £50 for a set of restore discs even though I couldn't create them because of a faulty drive.

I bought mine when they first arrived in the UK (Sept last year). I guess they have come down a bit since then.