The mole is at it again

Ketsbaia

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle3471843.ece

Kevin Keegan and Mike Ashley had plenty to talk about when they met in the players’ bar at St James’ Park after Newcastle United lost to Blackburn Rovers on Saturday. Newcastle cannot stop losing, but a club spokesman denied last night that Keegan had refused to guarantee that his team would avoid relegation when he was put on the spot by the owner, who spent about £240 million buying the club and clearing their debts last summer.

According to reports on Tyneside, Ashley asked Keegan for assurances that Newcastle would be in the Barclays Premier League next season, but the manager said that he was not in a position to make such a promise, blaming a lack of confidence among senior players, the club’s failure to make any signings during the January transfer window and the difficult run-in to the end of the season.

“Mike always has a drink with the players and managers after the game and it sounds like someone has seen him talking to Kevin and jumped to the wrong conclusion,” a club spokesman said. “I cannot comment on what may or may not have been said in a private conversation.”

Whatever Keegan and Ashley talked about, it is difficult to believe that Newcastle’s terrible form was not at the top of the agenda. They have not won since he replaced Sam Allardyce in January and are only three points clear of the relegation zone after picking up three points from a possible 33 since their last victory, away to Fulham on December 15.

Chris Mort, the chairman, has insisted that Keegan has the board’s full support despite a dismal start to the former England manager’s second spell in charge, but under Keegan, Newcastle have drawn two and lost four league games and are nervously looking over their shoulders.

“He has come into a club where we changed the manager in the middle of the season because it wasn’t going well,” Mort said. “We were playing very poorly and results reflected that. Kevin came in knowing it was going to be a very difficult job to turn the club around, but that is something he is working on.

“He is capable of getting our team playing in a manner which everyone appreciates. Against Blackburn they played good football, created a number of chances, missed open goals. Kevin has got them playing very well. He will keep getting them playing in that style and results will follow.”

Speculation has increased that Ashley, a self-made billionaire and owner of Sports Direct, the leisure-wear firm, has considered selling United to the highest bidder. “No he hasn’t,” Mort said. “There is speculation from intermediaries that gets into the papers so these stories do run a little. They are out there trying to promote potential buyers, but we have not sought anyone to try and buy the club. Mike is delighted at having bought Newcastle United and is enjoying his time here.

“People have called us and I will pick up the phone and say we are not interested in selling Newcastle United. The conversation will not go any farther. Mike is the owner of the club and it is his decision, but he is not encouraging me to sell the club. He is not keen to sell it so we have not even talked about numbers.”

Why it all points to relegation

Since the Premier League was reduced to 20 clubs in 1995, teams have needed an average of 39 points to avoid relegation.

In 2000 Bradford City survived with 36 points, but three years later Bolton Wanderers needed 44 points to beat the drop.

Newcastle United have not won since Kevin Keegan replaced Sam Allardyce seven weeks ago and are stuck on 28 points.

Under Allardyce Newcastle were averaging 1.18 points per game, since Keegan returned that has fallen by 72 per cent to 0.33 per game.

Pearson still sneaking into the players bar? <_<

Edited by Ketsbaia

Since the Premier League was reduced to 20 clubs in 1995, teams have needed an average of 39 points to avoid relegation.

In 2000 Bradford City survived with 36 points, but three years later Bolton Wanderers needed 44 points to beat the drop.

Newcastle United have not won since Kevin Keegan replaced Sam Allardyce seven weeks ago and are stuck on 28 points.

Under Allardyce Newcastle were averaging 1.18 points per game, since Keegan returned that has fallen by 72 per cent to 0.33 per game.

<_<

With selective enough statistics I can prove I was the first person on the moon, I'm sure.

<_<

With selective enough statistics I can prove I was the first person on the moon, I'm sure.

Hic Rhodos, hic salta. :razz:

<_<

Hic Rhodos, hic salta. :D

I'm good, but even I can't jump that far. :razz:

Here's a canny stat: It's March and our last league win was before the Xmas programme and we're 3 points off 3rd bottom.

Here's a canny stat: It's March and our last league win was before the Xmas programme and we're 3 points off 3rd bottom.

Yup and we know that on the strength of that you've been building your WW3 survival bunker in your back garden. :nufc:

It's cause for concern anyway.

Of course it is, but I still think there's a good 9-12 points up for grabs (assuming everyone below us wins/draws more than us). And a nuclear survival bunker may come in handy at some time in the future.

I think we'll stay up. But it's going to be a horrible last couple of months of the season and it's entirely possible we could go down. And Sunderland at home when both teams are fighting for their lives is a nightmare match for both sides. They are tense enough affairs as it is. But, as Isegrim said earlier, if we can't get the required results against the likes of Fulham at home, we deserve to go down anyway.

After only 2 games in charge Keegans Newcastle started a run of scoring in 3 games on the trot. It was the first time in 2 months.

Keegans Newcastle kept a clean sheet on his first game in charge. A feat achieved only once in 18 games prior.

Michael Owen has scored as many goals in Keegans 6 games as he managed in all 22 games prior.

Keegan hasn't lost a game to a team outside the top 7.

Manager of the month tbh.

:nufc:

Edited by Happy Face

After only 2 games in charge Keegans Newcastle started a run of scoring in 3 games on the trot. It was the first time in 2 months.

Keegans Newcastle kept a clean sheet on his first game in charge. A feat achieved only once in 18 games prior.

Michael Owen has scored as many goals in Keegans 6 games as he managed in all 22 games prior.

Fop will be over the moon with this...

... and probably being the first one after reading this post as well.

I think 35-36 points will be enough to stay up this year.

There are some pretty bad teams, ourselves included, in this and I think that at least one of them is bound to really tank it until the end of the year. Let's just hope it's not us.

I think we'll stay up btw, but we'll be in at until the very end.

Fop will be over the moon with this...

... and probably being the first one after reading this post as well.

I still can't jump to the moon, never mind over it. Although your belief in my prowess is flattering. :nufc: