Drink fuelled degenerates double.

Park Life

"The number of people admitted to hospital because of their drinking has doubled in just over a decade to reach more than 200,000, new figures show.

Treatment for alcoholism has also increased

The figure includes 8,500 under 18s who ended up in hospital because they were drunk, injured themselves through drink or developed a secondary condition because of alcohol, according to data from the National Health Service.

In just over a decade the number of children admitted to hospital through drink rose by more than half.

Fewer children are drinking alcohol but those who did are consuming more than ever before."

The data from the NHS Information Centre revealed cases of alcoholic liver disease have trebled in 12 years to reach 43,548 in 2006/7 and experts warn the disease will increase further.

Alison Rogers, chief executive of the British Liver Trust, said: “Measures taken to curb this worrying trend just aren’t working so far.

“This is set to hit England hard over the following years because liver disease can take up to 10 years to develop.”

In total 207,800 people were admitted to wards because of their drinking, either they were drunk, had liver cirrhosis or a secondary disorder such as heart disease brought on by heavy drinking. They may also have been injured or assaulted while drunk.

Mental health disorders due to drinking doubled to 68,005 and cases of alcohol overdose also doubled to more than 27,000 cases.

Treatment for alcoholism has also increased with GPs prescribing 20 per cent more drugs for dependency than four years ago."

The British disease?

Edited by Park Life

"The number of people admitted to hospital because of their drinking has doubled in just over a decade to reach more than 200,000, new figures show.

Treatment for alcoholism has also increased

The figure includes 8,500 under 18s who ended up in hospital because they were drunk, injured themselves through drink or developed a secondary condition because of alcohol, according to data from the National Health Service.

In just over a decade the number of children admitted to hospital through drink rose by more than half.

Fewer children are drinking alcohol but those who did are consuming more than ever before."

The data from the NHS Information Centre revealed cases of alcoholic liver disease have trebled in 12 years to reach 43,548 in 2006/7 and experts warn the disease will increase further.

Alison Rogers, chief executive of the British Liver Trust, said: “Measures taken to curb this worrying trend just aren’t working so far.

“This is set to hit England hard over the following years because liver disease can take up to 10 years to develop.”

In total 207,800 people were admitted to wards because of their drinking, either they were drunk, had liver cirrhosis or a secondary disorder such as heart disease brought on by heavy drinking. They may also have been injured or assaulted while drunk.

Mental health disorders due to drinking doubled to 68,005 and cases of alcohol overdose also doubled to more than 27,000 cases.

Treatment for alcoholism has also increased with GPs prescribing 20 per cent more drugs for dependency than four years ago."

The British disease?

Very much so, I fear. This seems to be getting out of control iyam.

Guest alex

Don't miss the Irish, Russians and the Scandinavians out.

I was struck by something when I heard this. This has happened in the time when licensing laws have been relaxed to a great degree but, as far as I know, there are no plans to revisit that legislation afoot. Compare this to the recent (re-)reclassification of Cannabis. In the period when it was downgraded to a Class C drug, the amount of users actuallt fell (according to Government figures) and the independent report commissioned by the Government suggested it should have remained as a Class C drug. I just find all that a bit odd.

When you say the licensing laws have been relaxed are you talking about the extended drinking hours, or the ease of getting a license, or something else entirely?

It's good to see the number of kids admitted has fallen, it sounds like we're weeding out the chaf, only the hardcore have remained...

Guest alex
When you say the licensing laws have been relaxed are you talking about the extended drinking hours, or the ease of getting a license, or something else entirely?

It's good to see the number of kids admitted has fallen, it sounds like we're weeding out the chaf, only the hardcore have remained...

The extended drinking hours.

I was struck by something when I heard this. This has happened in the time when licensing laws have been relaxed to a great degree but, as far as I know, there are no plans to revisit that legislation afoot. Compare this to the recent (re-)reclassification of Cannabis. In the period when it was downgraded to a Class C drug, the amount of users actuallt fell (according to Government figures) and the independent report commissioned by the Government suggested it should have remained as a Class C drug. I just find all that a bit odd.

The Russians have real problems and I can see why they drink.

Guest alex

Most people who drink a lot do it for a reason. That wasn't really the crux of my post, however.

Most people who drink a lot do it for a reason. That wasn't really the crux of my post, however.

Grass and Beer have different psychological dependance models. [Chez/]

Guest alex

Grass and Beer have different psychological dependance models. [Chez/]

Again, not my point. What I meant was you have on one hand a law change that, it could be argued has made things worse (it certiainly hasn't made things any better) and not just in direct connection with the story but also in terms of town centre trouble at weekends and so on; whereas on the other hand you have one law change that has, arguably, worked. However the law that has 'worked' is the one being repealed while the other one appears to be here to stay. I'm not advocating getting rid of longer opening hours, as I think the problems go a lot deeper than that. I just think it says a lot about Labour in general.

The difference between government attitudes to drugs and drink as described by Alex imo are:

1. No big business interests in drugs

2. Daily Mail readers (see "sending a message" bollocks)

Guest alex
The difference between government attitudes to drugs and drink as described by Alex imo are:

1. No big business interests in drugs

2. Daily Mail readers (see "sending a message" bollocks)

I totally agree. In particular the Dail Mail's (or perhaps it was the Express - but there's very little difference anyway) editor supposedly had a big hand in Brown's decision over the re-reclassification of cannabis.

I was working in Russia for a few months earlier this year, and in spite of their social problems, I don't think they drink much more than us, tbh. The only difference is that when they get drunk, they take fall-over-and-sleep-it-off-on-the-way-home-drunk to new levels.

Also, you won't find them drinking any alcopop nonsense. They're the drinking man's drunks.

Only been in force for three years (less than that to be honest), I wouldn't blame the extended hours for the increase neccesarily. I don't think the extended hours have had the nightmare consequences that "experts" predicted. To my knowledge the majority of places have maybe opened for an extra hour or so, but not the 24hr Soddom and Gomorrha-esque land of debauchery. I cannot believe that this extra hour or so has altered the existing upturn in drink related injuries as much as some doom mongers would have us believe (not you by the way, I'm talking about the :icon_lol: Mail :crylaughin: ).

Of course there will be an increase but I don't think it's disproportionate.

as an aside the majority of bars that I know to have late licenses (I'm talking 4am or the like) are equally the bars least likely to permit the flavour of people who're more likely to suffer from the drunken injuries.

Not a disease IMO. Its how the Brits do things. When we organise a night out with work its "lets get out early so we have more drinking time" Why? Youll end up pissed quicker. Its a case of throwing as much alcohol down you as possible, its shit. When we want to meet mates for example the Leeds playoff game the other night

"Lets get there for 6, give us time for a couple"

fucking hell, they dont kick off until 8, what wrong with you.

When people say alcholism is a disease I dont understand it, as Heroin addiction is frowned up as worse. IMO both are just as bad.

Guest alex

Only been in force for three years (less than that to be honest), I wouldn't blame the extended hours for the increase neccesarily. I don't think the extended hours have had the nightmare consequences that "experts" predicted. To my knowledge the majority of places have maybe opened for an extra hour or so, but not the 24hr Soddom and Gomorrha-esque land of debauchery. I cannot believe that this extra hour or so has altered the existing upturn in drink related injuries as much as some doom mongers would have us believe (not you by the way, I'm talking about the :crylaughin: Mail :lol: ).

Of course there will be an increase but I don't think it's disproportionate.

as an aside the majority of bars that I know to have late licenses (I'm talking 4am or the like) are equally the bars least likely to permit the flavour of people who're more likely to suffer from the drunken injuries.

I wasn't blaming the extended hours as such but I made that clear anyway :icon_lol:

Something really needs to be done about supermarkets selling cheap booze. And drugs should be classified by some independent body, the reclasification of cannabis for political reasons is a textbook example of how it should not be done!

Something really needs to be done about supermarkets selling cheap booze. And drugs should be classified by some independent body, the reclasification of cannabis for political reasons is a textbook example of how it should not be done!

Aye hanging's not good enough for them, they'll be selling cheap strawberries next AND THEN WHERE WILL WE BE?!?! :icon_lol:

Guest alex
This thread needs the Fopmeister.

No need, give it another week and Alex will be arguing with himself. :icon_lol:

I'm sure you were recently accusing me of wanting everyone to agree and not argue. Not that I'm suggesting you would argue with and contradict yourself.

This thread needs the Fopmeister.

No need, give it another week and Alex will be arguing with himself. :crylaughin:

I'm sure you were recently accusing me of wanting everyone to agree and not argue. Not that I'm suggesting you would argue with and contradict yourself.

I agree completely. :icon_lol: