Privatise the NHS

ChezGiven

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're slowly moving to a more and more Americanised system, too many people can smell too much money for it to be otherwise. :icon_lol:

The NHS is the ultimate tripwire in the British psyche Fop. Anyone who tries to dismantle it will be fucked.

Watch 'Sicko'. Worst thing that could posssibly happen privatising the NHS. One of the best health care sytems in the world and practically free.

People need to educate themselves on the total state that other countries health care systems are in before they start moaning about ours

Like the German, French, Spanish or even Singapore systems? Dont worry, i have and as far as Sicko is concerned, didnt it state like you did that we have the best health care system in the world? Yet when you look at cancer mortality statistics produced by the Karloniska institute, it shows that the UK is shite compared to the rest of the world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6956446.stm

Have a look at the graph at the bottom.

I think we need to change our system and we that we would all be better off if we did.

It's not a national health service anyway - what about the differences that exist in the way NHS Scotland is run and funded? You'd open up a can of worms right now in terms of the whole constitutional debate if you went anywhere near deconstructing the NHS in England and replacing it with a system of compulsory health insurance instead.

But that is where we're heading anyway - there is an absolute inevitability about the NHS being broken up and sold off.

And the biggest concern of all has to be about the ageing population and how younger working-age folk are going to pay for the domicilary and nursing care required for the new gerentocracy.

Free personal care for the elderly has been contentious up here in Scotland. How would you provide adequate healthcare for the elderly without a "national health service" safety net? :icon_lol:

I agree with all of that and particularly the point about it not being an NHS anymore.

Which was the point in the OP.

If the NHS are going to allow patients to make top-up payments as announced last week, what is the next logical step for someone concerned about the risk of incurring this cost?

I'd be thinking about taking insurance out on it, wouldnt you? Knowing you could insure yourself against the cost of an event that 1 in 3 of us will get?

i can see it now - new health insurance companies springing up all over and chunks of their shares being owned by the same firms who will be running the dna database (and vice versa).

very slippery slope tbh.

Sooooooo glad I live in Scotland now.

The SMC is even tighter than NICE.

Indeed they are, though there's been a few battles on cancer drugs up here lately that made inroads on the SMC's position

I certainly don't see why KCG is so smug about Scottish healthcare standards...won't be long before the SNP have to face facts that we're being heavily subsidised up here and its a position that can't be sustained much longer.

We're slowly moving to a more and more Americanised system, too many people can smell too much money for it to be otherwise. :icon_lol:

The NHS is the ultimate tripwire in the British psyche Fop. Anyone who tries to dismantle it will be fucked.

Aye directly I agree, but it's being done bit by bit by stealth (reminds me a bit of the PO where all the profitable/nice/easy bits are cherry picked and eventually the everything that's left collapses).

A bit like this new private money for building initiative, which "fixes" a short term funding hole (which never should have existed with planning), but in the long term the public purse pays a LOT more over the lifetime of the building and in some cases never actually owns it.

Why cant we slowly move to a Singaporised system instead?

Maybe we can, but our culture and our tax burden won't help.

They have a lot of things in their favour - very high GDP per capita, small population, low tax, strong personal responsibility ethic, compulsory savings and tough regulatory control.

The chances of replicating that in the UK (without a dictatorship and a mass cull) are slim I think.

In these threads I don't think it's fair Chez doesn't declare what he does for a living. He does have access to a lot more data than us muppets.

Not that he keeps it secret but loads of other people (mentioning no names) like to pretend to be experts on various things without declaring what they do as jobs. It's also good because people might learn something from Chez and it puts the soi-disant know-alls in their place.

In these threads I don't think it's fair Chez doesn't declare what he does for a living. He does have access to a lot more data than us muppets.

Not that he keeps it secret but loads of other people (mentioning no names) like to pretend to be experts on various things without declaring what they do as jobs. It's also good because people might learn something from Chez and it puts the soi-disant know-alls in their place.

Are you in your place? :icon_lol:

(I thought it was Dr. or medical research myself)

He's a psychological hit man for 'big drug'. :icon_lol:

Aye the amount of money spent convincing people that rigging drug prices is "needed" could set up another NHS. :icon_lol:

What is it you do for a living again Fop?

It's good to know one's place. :icon_lol:

Which backs up my point somewhat.

About not knowing your place or someone else's place? Or that dementia care should be publicly funded?

Aye the amount of money spent convincing people that rigging drug prices is "needed" could set up another NHS. :icon_lol:

It just about covers Chez's wages tbf. :angry:

I used to think 'big drug' was evil till I met Chez, now I know it buys pints so can't be all bad.

Edited by Park Life

About not knowing your place or someone else's place? Or that dementia care should be publicly funded?

I didn't make either of those points.

It just about covers Chez's wages tbf. :icon_lol:

I used to think 'big drug' was evil till I met Chez, now I know it buys pints so can't be all bad.

They got you now! :icon_lol:

I didn't make either of those points.

:angry: