The James Whale sacking.

Park Life

Sacked for 3 complaints about references to wanting Boris to become mayor. WTF is happening on airstrip one?

Sacked DJ Whale becomes TV host

James Whale spent 13 years as a presenter at Talksport

Sacked radio presenter James Whale has landed a job on a TV shopping channel.

The controversial phone-in host was fired from Talksport after urging listeners to vote for Boris Johnson in London's mayoral election.

He is now joining home shopping channel Bid TV and said his career had "come full circle" as he worked as a trainee buyer at Harrods "some years ago".

Bid TV said the 56-year-old would appear on screens in an evening slot, starting later this month.

"It won't be long before I know more about diamond jewellery, toasters and kettles than anyone could ever imagine," said Whale, who added he was "up for a new challenge".

Andy Hodgson, a spokesman for Bid TV, said Talksport's loss was his channel's gain.

"We're delighted to welcome James on board and expect him to stoke some bargain-hunting fever amongst our viewers in his true, inimitable style."

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

White van driver baiting shit for brains.

He's got a unique broadcasting style you mean? :icon_lol:

Feel sorry for him.

Why has he been sacked though? 3 complaints?

Probably sacked for expressing political views (a big no no) rather than the complaints.

Feel sorry for him.

I'd have preferred he wasn't like, At least I know to avoid talksport.

There's no telling when I might come across his ugly little glasses balanced on a turnip head as I flick through the channels late at night in search of the Red Shoe Diaries.

Feel sorry for him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7385370.stm

although it's slightly weird they'll only suspend you for this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6955065.stm

Case in point Fopper and well observed.

How the fuck is someone meant to do a talk show without opinions?

.....and what in gods name is ofcom? Fuck that shit.

Feel sorry for him.

Probably sacked for expressing political views (a big no no) rather than the complaints.

Political views have a long history in radio. And long may it continue.

So can no one have a radio show with political and biased content?

That's fucking crazy.

3 talkradio shows in the whole U.K.???

Edited by Park Life

Feel sorry for him.

That's fucking crazy.

Guests can have political views.

Callers can have political views.

But when a host uses a show as a platform to sway an election, I like that the station will take action. If only Rush Limbaugh could be sacked for forcing his views on the listenership.

Feel sorry for him.

That's fucking crazy.

But when a host uses a show as a platform to sway an election, I like that the station will take action. If only Rush Limbaugh could be sacked for forcing his views on the listenership.

The lack of deabte in the U.K. is getting seriously worrying. A colourful renegade talk show host is part of radio history. This sacking stinks it stinks of censorship. It stinks of little balding men with thin ties sitting in rooms with French mineral water deciding what's good for us. Fuck that.

As far as I can see there is one independant paper in the whole country: The Guardian (a charity). The rest are owned by media tycoons and nutters. Airtime is filled with swathes of horse shit and game shows and american cutesy comedies. There is fucking war on...Reems of stealth legislation is all around us..Fuck that...Arm the people. :D

Edited by Park Life

Talksport have a habit of sacking presenters in a kneejerk fashion, they ditched Tommy Boyd in similar style, in my opinion he was the best broadcaster they've had on the station.

Talksport have a habit of sacking presenters in a kneejerk fashion, they ditched Tommy Boyd in similar style, in my opinion he was the best broadcaster they've had on the station.

Wasn't even his fault either.

Feel sorry for him.

That's fucking crazy.

The lack of deabte in the U.K. is getting seriously worrying. A colourful renegade talk show host is part of radio history. This sacking stinks it stinks of censorship. It stinks of little balding men with thin ties sitting in rooms with French mineral water deciding what's good for us. Fuck that.

As far as I can see there is one independant paper in the whole country: The Guardian (a charity). The rest are owned by media tycoons and nutters. Airtime is filled with swathes of horse shit and game shows and american cutesy comedies. There is fucking war on...Reems of stealth legislation is all around us..Fuck that...Arm the people. :D

I don't get your point. Surely he was sacked for compromising the independence of Talksport. For the station to remain independent they can't have employees telling you to vote Conservative. Now Boris is in, Whale isn't anti-establishment, and he can't be because he's already expressed his preference for the establishment.

Feel sorry for him.

That's fucking crazy.

I don't get your point. Surely he was sacked for compromising the independence of Talksport. For the station to remain independent they can't have employees telling you to vote Conservative. Now Boris is in, Whale isn't anti-establishment, and he can't be because he's already expressed his preference for the establishment.

Aye it was so compromising they got 3 complaints. :)

Feel sorry for him.

That's fucking crazy.

Because no-one with an ounce of sense listens to Talksport.

No-one at a BNP meeting complains about the underlying racism.

Feel sorry for him.

That's fucking crazy.

Show me the demographic then?

The number of complaints is irrelevant- stations and their presenters agree to adhere to the broadcasting regulations- this will be part of their contract. What he did is pretty close to a cardinal sin- Chris Evans was fined for backing Livingstone first time around though he had the advantage of owning the station at the time so he retained his job.

Whale has breached these regulations on a number of occasions in the past and this puts Talksport under severe pressure. If a station is seen to be failing to do all it can to adhere to the codes then their licence may not be renewed- or even revoked. Everyone is out of work and the owners see millions of pounds of investment evaporate.

In TV-land regulation is pretty lax, with radio it's still pretty draconian (a hangover from the pre-Ofcom day of The Radio Authority).

Feel sorry for him.

That's fucking crazy.

I met some nutjob Americans in Italy, one of whom said she would vote for Limbaugh if he ran for president. She was really fit as well, such a waste she wasn't blessed with a brain to match her body.

The number of complaints is irrelevant- stations and their presenters agree to adhere to the broadcasting regulations- this will be part of their contract. What he did is pretty close to a cardinal sin- Chris Evans was fined for backing Livingstone first time around though he had the advantage of owning the station at the time so he retained his job.

Whale has breached these regulations on a number of occasions in the past and this puts Talksport under severe pressure. If a station is seen to be failing to do all it can to adhere to the codes then their licence may not be renewed- or even revoked. Everyone is out of work and the owners see millions of pounds of investment evaporate.

In TV-land regulation is pretty lax, with radio it's still pretty draconian (a hangover from the pre-Ofcom day of The Radio Authority).

Agreed, its frowned upon at the best of times, but during an election (which this was) its an absolute no-no.

I know full well why he was sacked and it's nothing to do with a few jokes about Livingstone that merited a might 3 fucking complaints. He was sacked because big media/the powers that be don't like his opinions and have been watching him ever since he called Tony Blair a liar in a national newspaper. He is also against the Iraq war and has talked about that a number of times in the media and on radio. I take your points about the regulators however and these 'draconian' laws need changing. We need to keep as many 'colourful and debate making' people Evans was very good for for a while as well. What do we have left Danny Baker????

Feel sorry for him.

That's fucking crazy.

Show me the demographic then?

Take a listen to the adverts on their station, that should give you a clue as to their target audience.

Conspiracy therory bollocks as usual.

Brainwashed bollocks as usual. I guess in your world we aren't spending a £1m a day on a totally now pointless war (civil war) in Iraq.

I guess Blair didn't turn a country £50 billion in the black to £20 odd billion into the red?? FACTS. Not conspiracies dear.

3 fucking complaints... :icon_lol:

I honestly thought they had left a 0 off.

Edited by Park Life

Conspiracy therory bollocks as usual.

Brainwashed bollocks as usual. I guess in your world we aren't spending a £1m a day on a totally now pointless war (civil war) in Iraq.

I guess Blair didn't turn a country £50 billion in the black to £20 odd billion into the red?? FACTS. Not conspiracies dear.

3 fucking complaints... :icon_lol:

I honestly thought they had left a 0 off.

The number of complaints is irrelevent, it's what was actually broadcast and whether or not that conforms to the rules. Big Brother got thousands of complaints, but remains on air.

Feel sorry for him.

That's fucking crazy.

Everyone must agree, of course they'll tell us exactly how they want us to agree. :)

Edited by Fop