Who is your favourite ...

Torres

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stevie
Widely acknowledged? I thought this was about our own opinions. Strachan was class at Aberdeen too.

Neil Simpson was class at Aberdeen...........

Widely acknowledged? I thought this was about our own opinions. Strachan was class at Aberdeen too.

Before your time I'd have thought.

Guest Stevie

Before my toon time? Simpson was still at Aberdeen in 1989, they have a song about him to this day, "who's that lying at Pittoddrie, who's that lying on the floor, it looks Iain Durrant to me cos Simmy's gone and fucked his knee, and he won't be playing for Rangers anymore." So 1989 before my time, if it was, which it wasn't, I'm sure Strachan at Aberdeen left 83/84 is before yours.

Before my toon time? Simpson was still at Aberdeen in 1989, they have a song about him to this day, "who's that lying at Pittoddrie, who's that lying on the floor, it looks Iain Durrant to me cos Simmy's gone and fucked his knee, and he won't be playing for Rangers anymore." So 1989 before my time, if it was, which it wasn't, I'm sure Strachan at Aberdeen left 83/84 is before yours.

He was finished by then though. And I can remember Strachan from their Cup Winner's Cup run.

Guest Stevie

He was finished by then though. And I can remember Strachan from their Cup Winner's Cup run.

He wasn't finished in the mid to late 80's, he got a bad injury before he joined us though. You must have an astonishing memory as a 6 or 7 year old to remember the impact Strachan had on that CWC, considering the only game that would've been on our TV was the final against Real Madrid.

He wasn't finished in the mid to late 80's, he got a bad injury before he joined us though. You must have an astonishing memory as a 6 or 7 year old to remember the impact Strachan had on that CWC, considering the only game that would've been on our TV was the final against Real Madrid.

Ok Stevie, I remember the final well. Strachan hit the bar with a (sort of) overhead effort iirc. I was aware of him from the likes of Shoot and Match mags at the time due to their success domestically and in Europe and of course Scottish football got coverage on Football Focus and World of Sport at the time. And I was 8, going on 9, as it happens. I can vividly remember quite a lot of games from the World Cup the summer before too. So I suppose I'll take that astonishing memory comment as a compliment. In fairness though, I wouldn't have thought it would have been difficult to watch many Aberdeen matches in their entirety as an 8 year old living on Tyneside. I suppose you saw Stimpson week-in, week-out at Aberdeen though, eh? :icon_lol:

Guest Stevie

Ok Stevie, I remember the final well. Strachan hit the bar with a (sort of) overhead effort iirc. I was aware of him from the likes of Shoot and Match mags at the time due to their success domestically and in Europe and of course Scottish football got coverage on Football Focus and World of Sport at the time. And I was 8, going on 9, as it happens. I can vividly remember quite a lot of games from the World Cup the summer before too. So I suppose I'll take that astonishing memory comment as a compliment. In fairness though, I wouldn't have thought it would have been difficult to watch many Aberdeen matches in their entirety as an 8 year old living on Tyneside. I suppose you saw Stimpson week-in, week-out at Aberdeen though, eh? :icon_lol:

I saw Simpson a lot of times, seen him play for Scotland as well, coupled with the fact he had a cult status amongst Dons fans I don't think it's unreasonable to rate him as a good hatchet man - well certainly before us.

8 or 9, so that final was May 1983, that would make you 33 or 34 now?

I saw Simpson a lot of times, seen him play for Scotland as well, coupled with the fact he had a cult status amongst Dons fans I don't think it's unreasonable to rate him as a good hatchet man - well certainly before us.

No, I'm 31.

Guest Stevie

No, I'm 31.

Well why say you were 8 or 9 in 1983?

Ok Stevie, I remember the final well. Strachan hit the bar with a (sort of) overhead effort iirc. I was aware of him from the likes of Shoot and Match mags at the time due to their success domestically and in Europe and of course Scottish football got coverage on Football Focus and World of Sport at the time. And I was 8, going on 9, as it happens. I can vividly remember quite a lot of games from the World Cup the summer before too. So I suppose I'll take that astonishing memory comment as a compliment. In fairness though, I wouldn't have thought it would have been difficult to watch many Aberdeen matches in their entirety as an 8 year old living on Tyneside. I suppose you saw Stimpson week-in, week-out at Aberdeen though, eh? :blink:

No, I'm 31.

Well why say you were 8 or 9 in 1983?

:icon_lol:

Alex has the memory of an elephant tbh Stevie, he remembered the Chronicles TV review patter from twenty years ago.

I'll use one for this debate - flawed, but interesting.

:icon_lol: 3 stars out of 5.

Guest Stevie
Alex has the memory of an elephant tbh Stevie, he remembered the Chronicles TV review patter from twenty years ago.

Was **

Was **

I thought that was 'Redeeming Features' or something like that.

Edited by alex

McAllister, similar reasons to Scholes, he was immensely gifted, at his peak at Leeds, I honestly believe he would've WALKED IN any team on earth. Vision, touch, passing, free kicks, shots, leadership, he had everything and he won't be remembered as highly as he should've been, if he played for AC Milan or Man Utd, his name would go in the record books for the next 50 years, probably the most underrated non toon player I can think of. Definitely Scotland's best player since Dalglish imo.

Threads like this always make me realise I'm "too much" of a Newcastle fan rather than a football fan - I agree with what you say about McAllister up to a point but I always bring to mind NUFC related grudges - in his case an obscene rake down Rob Lee's achilles at Leeds that he should have been hanged for never mind sent off (he got a yellow).

This is probably why I generally prefer talking about football on here rather than on N-O - there are too many "football fans" on there - I was sickened when they had a thread on favourite ever moment in football how many of them chose non-NUFC related events- and that wasn't just the foreigners [/Gemmill]

* Abysmal

:icon_lol:

What was ***** again, cancel the night out or something wasn't it?

It was something along the lines of "Excellent, do not miss" I think. **** was "Well worth watching". Going back to the days when the Chronicle was still a broadsheet. And half decent.