Naming of our stands

Guest Stevie

Guest Stevie
Is it right he chose Ipswich over us in '69 though?

Come on Leazes, you're old enough to remember.

Forget it.

Applying a bit of common sense, why would we even approach the sacked manager of Fulham when we'd just won the UEFA cup.

:icon_lol:

Fairs Cup unratified and not recognised by UEFA, a Cup of no more value than the Texaco Cup or the Dublin Summer Trophy, which didn't take much winning anyway[/blue dipper, smoggie, mackem, yid, brummie cunt]

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it right he chose Ipswich over us in '69 though?

Come on Leazes, you're old enough to remember.

Chose Fulham over us as a player I think.

Yeah, but again it's painted as "we really, really want you and we'll show it" versus "well you can come if you want" IIRC.

Aye, that'll be what I was thinking of...

In May 1950, Bill Dodgin, the Fulham manager made a personal visit to the Robson household to offer Bobby a professional contract. Despite being offered a contract by nearby Middlesbrough, the offer made by Dodgin was too attractive to turn down, so he signed for Fulham and moved to London, playing as a wing-half and inside-forward. Robson had also interested his beloved Newcastle, but he opted to join Fulham as, in his opinion, "Newcastle made no appreciable effort to secure [my] signature".

Said on that programme on TV he chose Fulham over us to the massive disappointment of his Dad. I'm sure he had his reasons. I don't think official biography etc. are conclusive proof of what happened though.

Hughie Gallacher should have a stand too btw.

There are other people who should come before SBR as well.

Ameobi, have you seen his record in Europe?

Bellamy as well.

I don't honestly think it matters what it's official name is...

It'll always be the Leazes to me just as the other end will never be the Exhibition or Brown Ale stand.

Despite all the sentiment attached to SBR, I don't see what he did in his time as manager to warrant naming a stand after him. Yes we were in the shit when he took over, yes he turned things around but what did we ultimately achieve?

Arthur Cox turned things around in the 4 years he was manager but I don't see anyone screaming for him. Stands at football grounds should not be named after people. Milburn was an exception owing to the fact he popped his clogs just about the same time the stand opened. It was never meant to be named after anyone, it was always going to be the West Stand (as the previois one was).

I wasn't having a pop I just thought it was what the 'turned us down twice' thing may have originated from.

Yeah just saying what he said, the truth is probably somewhere in-between....... although it would hardly be the first time we didn't chase talent that wanted to play for us. :icon_lol:

I don't honestly think it matters what it's official name is...

It'll always be the Leazes to me just as the other end will never be the Exhibition or Brown Ale stand.

Despite all the sentiment attached to SBR, I don't see what he did in his time as manager to warrant naming a stand after him. Yes we were in the shit when he took over, yes he turned things around but what did we ultimately achieve?

Arthur Cox turned things around in the 4 years he was manager but I don't see anyone screaming for him. Stands at football grounds should not be named after people. Milburn was an exception owing to the fact he popped his clogs just about the same time the stand opened. It was never meant to be named after anyone, it was always going to be the West Stand (as the previois one was).

Angel of the North size statues are the way forward :icon_lol:

(although in fairness to Robson, I think he should be judge on his life really, not just NUFC. Even by NUFC if you see what I mean - kinda like Captain Cook maybe not doing his best work in Whitby or something :icon_lol:)

edit - something like this :icon_lol:

_44915390_russian_getty_466.jpg

Edited by Fop

Hmm - wasn't there some nasty allegations about Hughie?

Maybe we just paint them different colors

Black White Pink and Magenta maybe ;):) :)

One name thats missing from this appears to be Seymour,

Stan Snr anyway, FA Cup and Championship winners medals as a player. two FA Cups as a manager another as chairman and then president of the club says hes Newcastle through and through.

Even Seymour Jnr although there were dark days in there he was responsible for bringing Keegan here first time, without that would we have ever had any of the good times we did? The bloke even died after watching us play, how sooopafan is that?

Hmm - wasn't there some nasty allegations about Hughie?

Maybe we just paint them different colors

Black White Pink and Magenta maybe ;):) :)

Hughie Gallacher was iirc, accused of physically assaulting his son and was embarrassed and upset to the extent he took his own troubled life. Is that what you're on about?

Don't see how that belittles his achievements for the club btw.

And didn't you once claim one of your relatives saw him and said he was the best ever player for us bar none?

One name thats missing from this appears to be Seymour,

Stan Snr anyway, FA Cup and Championship winners medals as a player. two FA Cups as a manager another as chairman and then president of the club says hes Newcastle through and through.

Even Seymour Jnr although there were dark days in there he was responsible for bringing Keegan here first time, without that would we have ever had any of the good times we did? The bloke even died after watching us play, how sooopafan is that?

Good shout.