Newcastle owner Ashley spent $220,000 on champagne in New York as Keegan fumed

Scottish Mag

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Mike Ashley to sue The Sun over bar bill story

TOON owner Mike Ashley is suing a national newspaper over claims his family’s safety was compromised.

Ashley is suing The Sun over a story on the paper’s front page, with the headline: "Toon chief’s £125k binge" which was published last September.

He claims the article, photographs and a copy of his bar bill were published without his consent and contained information over which he had a reasonable expectation of privacy.

This included the fact he had flown to New York in a private jet, had hosted a party at the Pink Elephant nightclub, why he had gone to the nightclub, with whom, what he did, how much he paid for drinks - including a bill showing a breakdown of drinks and their cost - and how much he had tipped waiters.

In a High Court writ, Ashley argues other facts which should have remained private were what he allegedly said about then manager Kevin Keegan, what time he left the club and with whom, and where he stayed in New York.

The writ also says publication of this information amounted to a misuse of his private information and an intrusion into his private life, as well as interference with his human rights.

The billionaire sports tycoon, who recently announced he no longer plans to sell the Magpies, is seeking aggravated damages, saying information he expected to remain private strayed into the public domain and was then used as the basis for a critical story in the News of the World the following day.

He claims the Sun did not warn him of its intention to publish the story, meaning he did not have the chance to seek an injunction to prevent it appearing.

So he's not denying any of it?

"On the subject of the Press, I have been in discussion with News Group Newspapers Ltd. with regards to a story published in the Sun about me in September whilst I was in New York. Those discussions haven't settled this matter so I have had to sue them.

"I am no different to you when it comes to having a private life so when I am a guest at a party I think I should be left in peace and not expect to see my picture splashed all over the front of a national newspaper.

"For the record, at the time I was in New York I still believed Kevin and everyone else, including myself, could still resolve things and continue working together at Newcastle United. I did not throw a party and I certainly wasn't celebrating Kevin's departure, nor did I pay a huge bar bill or travel to the States by private jet.

"As well as fighting to protect my privacy I wanted you supporters to know what happened. I would still hope the matter can be settled and I would donate any monies paid to me to the Newcastle United Foundation. There are no legal costs for Newcastle United to cover in this matter as it is about my privacy as an individual.