Today's Gossip

Tom

LATEST NEWCASTLE GOSSIP Newcastle caretaker boss Chris Hughton has been told he could be in charge for the next four games - taking the Magpies into October without a permanent manager. (Daily Star)

Owner Mike Ashley will not get special protection if he decides to face the Toon Army at home against Hull on Saturday. (The Sun)

Real Zaragoza coach Marcelinho has ruled himself out of the running to be the new gaffer at St James' Park. (Daily Star)

Ashley will choose between Gus Poyet and Paul Ince to become Newcastle's new manager. (Daily Mirror)

TRANSFER RUMOURS Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has blasted Manchester City's new owners and told them he would not sell midfielder Cesc Fabregas, even for £135m. (The Sun)

Arsenal are being linked with Brazilian midfielder Mineiro, 33, who left Hertha Berlin this summer. (Daily Mail)

Wigan boss Steve Bruce admits he fears losing Emile Heskey for free when the England striker's contract ends next summer. (Various)

Birmingham will delay a decision on signing West Ham's Nigel Quashie on loan while they assess the midfielder's fitness. (Daily Mail)

Coventry are poised to snap up ex-Aston Villa and Reading defender Ulises de la Cruz, 34, on a short-term deal. (Various)

Leeds are set to give former Middlesbrough striker Malcolm Christie, 29, the chance to regain fitness by letting him use their training facilities. (Daily Star)

Birmingham will sign Tottenham outcast Kevin Prince-Boateng, 21, on loan. (Daily Mirror)

OTHER GOSSIP Steve Clarke resigned as assistant first-team coach at Chelsea on Friday, paving the way for him to become Gianfranco Zola's assistant at West Ham. (The Times)

Liverpool co-owner George Gillett will brave protests against the club's American regime by making his first Anfield visit for five months for the game against Manchester United on Saturday. (Daily Express)

New Manchester United striker Dimitar Berbatov says he will not rest until he has won the European Footballer of the Year award (Ballon D'Or). (The Sun)

Arsenal may leave new England sensation Theo Walcott on the bench for their game against Blackburn on Saturday. (Various)

However, they will also offer him a massive pay increase to fight off the threat of big-money bids. (Daily Express)

Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate says Stewart Downing was handed a "poisoned chalice" by England coach Fabio Capello after the Italian gave the winger a start against Andorra. (Various)

Everton right-back Lars Jacobsen, yet to play for his new club, faces 12 weeks out with a shoulder injury. (Daily Mail)

AND FINALLY Olympic triple gold medallist Usain Bolt is set to train with Spanish giants Real Madrid in a bid to improve the pace of their players. (The Sun)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has mocked Manchester City's signing of Robinho: "What is worrying is that a player signs somewhere and the next day he doesn't know where he has signed." (The Sun)

In charge for four games. If Ashley was looking to be in this for the long haul, he would be after a quick appointment, Shirley.

Looks like he might be looking for a sale in the next four games? A club would be more appealing to a new owner if they could hire their own manager from the word go.

In charge for four games. If Ashley was looking to be in this for the long haul, he would be after a quick appointment, Shirley.

Looks like he might be looking for a sale in the next four games? A club would be more appealing to a new owner if they could hire their own manager from the word go.

That's what I was thinking when I read that... could just be wishful thinking though

... still, :D

Given how we've struggled with appointments (the list of people who have publicly turned us down over the years is embarrassing) it might just be that we're struggling to find anyone.

I think Keegan was the right man for the job last time, but I suspect there also weren't that many obvious options on the horizon either.

Given how we've struggled with appointments (the list of people who have publicly turned us down over the years is embarrassing) it might just be that we're struggling to find anyone.

I think Keegan was the right man for the job last time, but I suspect there also weren't that many obvious options on the horizon either.

Tbh Keegan was the very best we could have hoped for and had the added bonus of knowing what the fans wanted - anybody that comes in now will just be someone without any links to the club and 'thinks' they know what the fans want. It's all bollocks really, and anyone coming in will just be a puppet for the scumbag regime.

Tbh Keegan was the very best we could have hoped for and had the added bonus of knowing what the fans wanted - anybody that comes in now will just be someone without any links to the club and 'thinks' they know what the fans want. It's all bollocks really, and anyone coming in will just be a puppet for the scumbag regime.

Sorry, AP, but you're sounding a bit Anal Oliver-ish there.

How come people were still willing to work under the West Ham owners even though it's a similar situation to here?

London and don't have our reputation (or Wise) most likely.

I'd go with that.

Taking a step back for a second and taking off my 'Ashley is a twat' hat - is the club not making a considered decision and not rushing in? Potentially it could take a month to get a good person? By this I'm meaning, we're deriding them for not getting somebody in quick, but we'd also deride them for making a rush decision. They can't win.

Realistically, I firmly believe it's because no-one will touch us with their mates let alone their own :D

*puts his 'ashley is a twat hat back on*

Edited by maggiespaws

Sorry, AP, but you're sounding a bit Anal Oliver-ish there.

Hehe, true though. And to be fair I am feeling pretty 'anal' over the whole thing (but not in a Jermaine Jenas type way ofc).

How come people were still willing to work under the West Ham owners even though it's a similar situation to here?

London and don't have our reputation (or Wise) most likely.

I'd go with that.

Taking a step back for a second and taking off my 'Ashley is a twat' hat - is the club not making a considered decision and not rushing in? Potentially it could take a month to get a good person? By this I'm meaning, we're deriding them for not getting somebody in quick, but we'd also deride them for making a rush decision. They can't win.

Realistically, I firmly believe it's because no-one will touch us with their mates let alone their own :D

*puts his 'ashley is a twat hat back on*

Ashley was doomed to failure after forcing KK out. He won't be able to do anything right until he appoints the manager that will win us something (and with the way things are looking in terms of the feeder club philosophy, I don't see that happening).

I am willing to bet it is going to be someone hispanic that no one has heard of and has no experience but is friends with Jimenez (I don't think it's all about Wise).