Empire top 500 films ever

Happy Face

That is the most pretentious top 10 list ever posted in the history of the internet.

give the lad a chance!!

he just lifted it from his Personal Statement for his Uni application

Was very glad to see Paris Texas in the list although it should have been in the top ten. It certainly was in mine.

Btw I don't think people like Sloop should even read lists like this are they are always going to piss them off. The majority of people out there (even movie magazine readers) are going to enjoy films that appeal to broad section of society. Films made by blind lesbians from Poland just don't have that universal appeal.

I disagree. I think films that honestly question and explore the profound human issues; hopes, fears, dissapointments, dreams, belief; issues that everyone of our epoch fundamentally shares (such as Andrei Rublev and Ordet), are films that truly appeal to humanity in general and on a much wider scale than The Dark Knight or Blade Runner could ever fathom to do.

These films try to please their audiences with explosions, expensive set pieces, famous actors - but all it shows is that the filmmakers (the producers, director, cinematographer) have no respect for his audience because all they are doing by making such films is training the audience to insure their own income, not training them by giving them works of art that will inspire.

Bollocks. Most people watch films simply to be entertained by taking themselves away from reality for a couple of hours and judging by films like Death Race it's explosions that entertain them. They can't be bothered to think or watch slow moving studies of emotions let alone read a film.

There is an audience for the films in your top ten but it's certainly not the people who basically finance the movie industry by paying for tickets.

Top 40 most shocking omissions from the list (from the top of my head)are;

1. The Big Sleep

2. The 39 Steps

3. In The Mood For Love

4. Predator

5. Riffifi

6. Dangerous Liasons

7. Strangers On A Train

8. The Birds

9. Anatomy Of A Murder

10. Bad Day At Black Rock

11. Highlander

12. The Killing

13. Princess Mononoke

14. Dog Day Afternoon

15. Shadow Of A Doubt

16. The Adventures Of Robin Hood

17. For A Few Dollars More

18. Nosferatu

19. The Lost Weekend

20. Metropolis

21. The Day The Earth Stood Still

22. Young Frankenstien

23. The Bad & The Beautiful

24. Pather Pachali

25. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

26. Bringing Up Baby

27. Guess Who's Coming To Dinner

28. Infernal Affairs

29. Barton Fink

30. MASH

31. Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels

32. Gilda

33. Public Enemy, Angels With Dirty Faces/ White Heat

34. My Man Godfrey

35. Sleuth

36. Stalker

37. Wild Strawberries

38. Deliverance

39. Out Of The Past

40. Cape Fear

Top 40 most shocking omissions from the list (from the top of my head)are;

4. Predator - 366th

13. Princess Mononoke - 488th

14. Dog Day Afternoon - 443rd

Good list though. Some amazing omissions.

You know I remembered seeing Predator as a cover but then couldn't remember it on the list itself. Surprised I only made that many errors tbh ;)