England fans to be disappointed

Sonatine

England fans to be disappointed

Monday October 10 2005

England will be playing in the World Cup finals next summer, but they might be doing so without many fans cheering them on.

Only eight percent of tickets for England's games will actually be granted to the FA for distribution amongst England fans, meaning that even in large venues such as the Westfalen Stadium in Dortmund, the FA will only receive 4,000 tickets. If England are drawn to play in smaller grounds, the number will be even less. If England are drawn to play in Hamburg, for example, the FA will receive only 3,000 tickets. The exact number of tickets available will only be known after the World Cup draw on December 9, when England's group opponents and venues will be decided.

The situation has been made worse by the massive numbers of seats reserved for use by the media and VIPs. The Westfalen Stadium, which has a capacity of 66,981, will only be able to seat 50,276 actual fans for World Cup games. For the final, to be played in Berlin's Olympic Stadium, a quarter of the 70,000 seats will be reserved. This means that scenes such as were seen in Portugal in 2004, when tens of thousands were cheering on England each game, will not be repeated.

Tickets to watch England will only be sold by the FA to members of the 'Englandfans' organisation - the official supporters club. Membership of Englandfans has been capped at 25,000 to ensure there is a realistic chance of obtaining a ticket, and no more applications will be accepted until after the finals.

Some tickets will be available on general sale for each game, and the FA have told Fifa that they will buy up any tickets for England matches that become available on the open market. However, though tickets are available from the official Fifa website, those to specifically watch England have long since sold out.

Buying tickets on the black market is also likely to be unsuccessful. New technology will identify tickets bought from unofficial sources, and fans will be refused entry.

Football, the "peoples" game :)

its the same for every tournament. They say there won't be many tickets etc. like the so called scandal in 98, but when matchday comes round, the stadium is always packed with St George's crosses and England fans, hilarious.

Those Jormans would sell their own mother................

44389[/snapback]

You want her? Make an offer...

The ticketing policy has already caused a huge uproar here. And if FIFA had got their wish it could have been even worse, especially regarding prices.

The big question is how serious they will be about controlling identities as the tickets are personalized. This probably won't be done in minor matches, but there are big chances that in allegedlyhigh risk games like those involving England there will be stronger security measures that would indeed include checking identities or card owners.

either way there is going to problems when england play, you've got a choice let them in to the ground with the tickets they got on the black market

or turn them away, which they'll be roaming the streets of wherever pissed up and annoyed

I read somewhere that the two teams actually playing in each match only get 8% of the capacity each, its taking the fecking piss, and leads to thousands being ripped off on the black market, lack of segregation and more potential for trouble.

I read somewhere that the two teams actually playing in each match only get 8% of the capacity each, its taking the fecking piss, and leads to thousands being ripped off on the black market, lack of segregation and more potential for trouble.

44560[/snapback]

- 913,000 tickets went to open sale

- 191,000 tickets went to the "FIFA family" i.e. associations not taking part (like Australia)

- 440,00 tickets went to special guests, media and have been reserved as security contingency

- 555,000 tickets went to sponsors and commercial partners

- 389,000 tickets went to the German football association

- 347,000 went to VIPs and boxes

- 468,000 tickets go to the participating associations

- 64,000 tickets go the the media rights holders

Who needs football fans in the stadium, eh...

44560[/snapback]

- 191,000 tickets went to the "FIFA family" i.e. associations not taking part (like Australia)

- 440,00 tickets went to special guests, media and have been reserved as security contingency

44565[/snapback]

Its like the fA cup final, make sure everyone "important" gets a ticket then maybe give a few tickets to the two teams who are playing!

44560[/snapback]

44565[/snapback]

Fuck off! There are two wrongs in that statement. Firstly Australia will be taking part and secondly we haven't had a fraction of those tickets offered to Australians that want to travel, whether the team makes it or not.

44560[/snapback]

44565[/snapback]

Fuck off! There are two wrongs in that statement. Firstly Australia will be taking part and secondly we haven't had a fraction of those tickets offered to Australians that want to travel, whether the team makes it or not.

44643[/snapback]

:)

Sammy mate, I think you've got anger management issues.

44560[/snapback]

44565[/snapback]

44643[/snapback]

44646[/snapback]

No Gemmill it's just short man syndrome. :)

Actually I've been busting my hump to get tickets as I'm going for the month, whether Australia qualifies or not, so I know it isn't true.

44560[/snapback]

44565[/snapback]

44643[/snapback]

44646[/snapback]

No Gemmill it's just short man syndrome. <_<

Actually I've been busting my hump to get tickets as I'm going for the month, whether Australia qualifies or not, so I know it isn't true.

44647[/snapback]

Well as much as I now a quota of 6.5% (i.e. 191,000 tickets) has been reserved and will be distributed to the FIFA Family, how they will sold on then I don't know. And if in the (highely unlikely :):yes<_<:lol::lol::lol::nufc:;);) ) case Australia qualifies they have the same right as every participating association to a share of the quota of 8% of the tickets that have been reserved and will be distributed via the national associations after the final draw on December 9th.

Well as much as I now a quota of 6.5% (i.e. 191,000 tickets) has been reserved and will be distributed to the FIFA Family, how they will sold on then I don't know. And if in the (highely unlikely  :)  :)  :yes  <_<  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :nufc:  ;) ) case Australia qualifies they have the same right as every participating association to a share of the quota of 8% of the tickets that have been reserved and will be distributed via the national associations after the final draw on December 9th.

44658[/snapback]

Like I said, I will be there whether the fat bastard Viduka and team make it or not.

At last we find out tomorrow who the play-off is against, in the highly unlikely event that we actually may play football, being skippy's and all, hey Isegrim?

A lot of those "distributions" are really a way of letting people make a bit of money by reselling such as National Associations (think Nigeria here for example)

Some other thing that was pointed out to me today (by a Greek bloke)...

FIFA was selling so called Team-Series-Tickets, where you could follow all the games of the nation you applied for.

Most series were sold out, and people had to pay straight away, even if they didn't know if their team will qualify.

Now some teams failed (e.g. Greece) and people of those tickets will get a refund, minus a processing fee of course. So FIFA is pocketing in money from loads of sold tickets that never were valid anyway. And they probably made a huge interest profit as well...