If the universe is infinite...

Park Life

Our universe may be expanding, but there's no guarantee that all the other universes behave like ours...

yep, the laws of physics and indeed everything don't neccesarily apply to universes outside our own as they may not have done prior to the big bang

Infinite is not the same as all-encompassing. Imagine a cube. Now take off the top and bottom. Imagine the space in the cube expanding infinitely upwards and downwards. This is infinite without encompassing the areas to the north, south, east and west of the cube.

It's not a cube then though. <_<

TBF a straight line would have sufficed. The whole cube thing has confused Fop.

Yes, but a line is not a three-dimensional example.

Infinite is not the same as all-encompassing. Imagine a cube. Now take off the top and bottom. Imagine the space in the cube expanding infinitely upwards and downwards. This is infinite without encompassing the areas to the north, south, east and west of the cube.

Why would the universe expand in two directions only if that is what you're saying?

I'm not saying that this example is one that describes the way in which our universe behaves; it's only an analogy to show the possibility of an infinite, yet bounded area. An object could be expanding in 359.999999 of the 360 degrees on both the vertical and horizontal planes, but it would still leave a gigantic area that is not included if you extend it far enough.

Rob W will know the answer to this

Was he around when it all started like? <_<

"If the Lord God Almighty had consulted me before embarking upon the Creation, I would have recommended something simpler. -- Alfonso the Wise, 13th Century" :D;)