Smokin' Joe Documentary

Monkeys Fist

Remember 'The Salon' btw? :(:angry:

Anyway, Foreman was on once and he was getting his nails done. The lass doing it had no idea he'd been Heavyweight Champion and fought Ali, etc. She just thought he was famous for his grill <_<

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

610x.jpg

Oh my god, incredible, Evander Holyfield just got robbed, he out boxed Nicolai Valuev over 12 rounds, a shit fight but Holyfield totally owned him, I can't believe, it, ok its a joke that Holyfield is competing for the title but the man has just been robbed of a 5th world title.

A shocking fight, and a shocking result, the whole sorry sham just underlines how shit boxing is.

I'm sick.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone see the documentary on More4 last night?

Detailed the history of the bad blood between Ali & Frazier, unusually tho presented Ali as the bad guy.

Really enjoyed it, tho was saddened to see how frazier has been basically left out in the cold.

on again tonight at 10pm

• 3 months later...

Just watched this for the first time, I thought it was a very lop-sided documentary with a clear anti-Ali agenda, whilst Ali was no angel, the documentary laboured the premise that Ali was a cruel and mean sportsman who bullied Frazier, I don't buy into this, Frazier was an quiet, uncharismatic fighter who couldn't sell a fight, Ali whipped up the fight promotion with his antics, the same antics he used in all his fights, calling Frazier "The Gorilla" was no worse in my opinion than calling Floyd Patterson "The Rabbit", Sonny Liston "The Bear" or Earnie Shavers "The Acorn", Ali used the hype get under the skin of his opponents and to big-up his own self confidence, in Frazier he faced a man he knew could beat him and he needed to take the hype provocation to higher levels.

Very interesting but very very unbalanced bias.

How fucking thick is Frazier btw? :D

I felt embarrassed for him tbh

Aye, joking apart he cut a sad figure to say the least. Great boxer like.

How fucking thick is Frazier btw? :D

I felt embarrassed for him tbh

Aye, joking apart he cut a sad figure to say the least. Great boxer like.

Agreed, sadly it is an all too familiar trend in boxing.

Just watched this for the first time, I thought it was a very lop-sided documentary with a clear anti-Ali agenda, whilst Ali was no angel, the documentary laboured the premise that Ali was a cruel and mean sportsman who bullied Frazier, I don't buy into this, Frazier was an quiet, uncharismatic fighter who couldn't sell a fight, Ali whipped up the fight promotion with his antics, the same antics he used in all his fights, calling Frazier "The Gorilla" was no worse in my opinion than calling Floyd Patterson "The Rabbit", Sonny Liston "The Bear" or Earnie Shavers "The Acorn", Ali used the hype get under the skin of his opponents and to big-up his own self confidence, in Frazier he faced a man he knew could beat him and he needed to take the hype provocation to higher levels.

Whats the truth then Jimbo?

The truth is Ali said what he said to sell and promote a fight against an opponent who's lack of charisma and wit, made Ali to appear like a bully in comparison mentally inferior opponent.

The truth is Ali said what he said to sell and promote a fight against an opponent who's lack of charisma and wit, made Ali to appear like a bully in comparison mentally inferior opponent.

That could be said for many of Ali's opponents tbh.

Perfectly true, but I think Frazier took dullness to a whole new level, but the likes of Liston and Foreman for example had a air of invincibility about them more than compensated, as I said before, Ali always mocked his opponents, that was his style and added to his popularity, but this documentary put a hugely negative spin on it, Ali's arrogance and verbal attacks were what made him the star he was.

Perfectly true, but I think Frazier took dullness to a whole new level, but the likes of Liston and Foreman for example had a air of invincibility about them more than compensated, as I said before, Ali always mocked his opponents, that was his style and added to his popularity, but this documentary put a hugely negative spin on it, Ali's arrogance and verbal attacks were what made him the star he was.

Oh i agree mate, frazier was no great personality.

just that compared to Ali, not many were.

re. the documentary, it's a rare thing indeed not to have a doc. weighted in favour of one view or another.

This one's brief was clearly to elicit sympathy for Frazier, his treatment at the time of the fights, and his current plight.

did a good job , when looked at like that.

re. the documentary, it's a rare thing indeed not to have a doc. weighted in favour of one view or another.

This one's brief was clearly to elicit sympathy for Frazier, his treatment at the time of the fights, and his current plight.

Usually Ali gets painted as some sainted deity, he clearly isn't and from that end it was refreshing to see a documentary showing the other side, I just felt it went out hell-bent to vilify Ali.

Usually Ali gets painted as some sainted deity, he clearly isn't and from that end it was refreshing to see a documentary showing the other side, I just felt it went out hell-bent to vilify Ali.

Bout time someone had a dig at the cocky fecker :D