Boumsong

Ketsbaia

Boumsong is definitely not worth £8m.

The only French player we've had who produced the goods consistently  for more than a dog watch was Robert.

47056[/snapback]

:nufc:

"Robert" and "consistent" in the same sentence?? :yes

I beg to differ.....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only French player we've had who produced the goods consistently  for more than a dog watch was Robert.

47056[/snapback]

I beg to differ.....

47059[/snapback]

Almost as funny as "Boumsong" and "Worth Every Penny"

47056[/snapback]

I beg to differ.....

47059[/snapback]

More consistent than any alternative we've seen on the left so far.

47056[/snapback]

I beg to differ.....

47059[/snapback]

47065[/snapback]

N'Zogbia could turn out to be the solution

47056[/snapback]

I beg to differ.....

47059[/snapback]

47065[/snapback]

N'Zogbia could turn out to be the solution

47066[/snapback]

He might, but I doubt it.

In any case, I thought £9.5m of the clubs money was spent on the replacement.

47056[/snapback]

I beg to differ.....

47059[/snapback]

47065[/snapback]

I still beg to differ...

Laurent Robert has, without doubt, to be the most inconsistent player I've ever seen in 23 years of following Newcastle United.

If you're talking about Frenchmen, and in particular left wingers, I think Ginola (while far from perfect) was a million times more consistent than Robert.

47056[/snapback]

:o

"Robert" and "consistent" in the same sentence?? :crylaughin:

I beg to differ.....

47059[/snapback]

47065[/snapback]

I still beg to differ...

Laurent Robert has, without doubt, to be the most inconsistent player I've ever seen in 23 years of following Newcastle United.

If you're talking about Frenchmen, and in particular left wingers, I think Ginola (while far from perfect) was a million times more consistent than Robert.

47078[/snapback]

I did say consistently for more than a dog watch. Ginola didn't do the business for very long, did he?

I'm not even going to think about coming up with names of players who might be considered more inconsistent than Robert, I'm not that bothered. I do understand that consistency is important, and it's frustrating that Robert doesn't score a couple of goals every game for 38 games, while at the same time tackling like Dave Mackay (making him the best player in the world probably). So let's get rid of him and replace him with someone who might well be more consistent but who might be consitently average at this level. We haven't seen much of Lucky, but does he look like a bulldog in the tackle to you? Does he look like he's going to be tracking back and sweating his bollocks off covering the fullback? Zog isn't the answer.

Can't believe all the stick he's getting this season.

He's had a bad spell since the Man U game, but people have quickly forgotten how well he played last season for us.

46743[/snapback]

Thing is though, we're giving him stick because he deserves it. It's not as if we are going to let him off for being poor because he played well for a few games last year!

46804[/snapback]

No. He's been poor since the Man U game...and even then we've kept 3 clean-sheets. I can remember the opening game of the season at Highbury where he played Henry off the park. I can remember the following game against West Ham too where we were a shambles, and but for Boumsong holding us together at the back probably would have lost. He's had 6 games not at his best, and even in those 6, like I've said, we've kept 3 clean-sheets. To me, that suggests an £8m defender not at his best. A lesser defender off-form (O'Brien, Bramble, etc), and we'd not have kept those clean-sheets in my opinion. They have to be at their very best for us to even have a chance of a clean sheet. Boumsong's not been great, but still doing okay.

Boumsong missed the first header bit the Wigan goal was all Taylor.

No-one would listen to me when I said he is a liability. People were hailing him as the new saviour when he gets too many cards for my liking and at this level that isn't good enough.

He isn't as good as people make out and needs a break from first team action when Titus comes back.

No-one would listen to me when I said he is a liability.  People were hailing him as the new saviour when he gets too many cards for my liking and at this level that isn't good enough.

He isn't as good as people make out and needs a break from first team action when Titus comes back.

47093[/snapback]

Hear, hear.

No-one would listen to me when I said he is a liability.  People were hailing him as the new saviour when he gets too many cards for my liking and at this level that isn't good enough.

47093[/snapback]

Taylor was exposed becase Boumsong got pulled out following the other striker and failed to make the tackle.. then when the ball was played through to Roberts there was onle Taylor in place of where there should have been two defenders. If Boumsong gets dragged out like that then either Parker and Faye should immediatly fill in that gap...That however is tactics.. and up to Souness get that working.

47093[/snapback]

Taylor was exposed becase Boumsong got pulled out following the other striker and failed to make the tackle.. then when the ball was played through to Roberts there was onle Taylor in place of where there should have been two defenders. If Boumsong gets dragged out like that then either Parker and Faye should immediatly fill in that gap...That however is tactics.. and up to Souness get that working.

47101[/snapback]

Yes, i fail to see how Taylor was supposed to go and tackle the man with the ball AND drop off and mark the player who was passed to, if he could do that then he would be the greatest defender on the planet.

47056[/snapback]

I beg to differ.....

47059[/snapback]

47065[/snapback]

I still beg to differ...

47078[/snapback]

I did say consistently for more than a dog watch. Ginola didn't do the business for very long, did he?

I'm not even going to think about coming up with names of players who might be considered more inconsistent than Robert, I'm not that bothered. I do understand that consistency is important, and it's frustrating that Robert doesn't score a couple of goals every game for 38 games, while at the same time tackling like Dave Mackay (making him the best player in the world probably). So let's get rid of him and replace him with someone who might well be more consistent but who might be consitently average at this level. We haven't seen much of Lucky, but does he look like a bulldog in the tackle to you? Does he look like he's going to be tracking back and sweating his bollocks off covering the fullback? Zog isn't the answer.

47085[/snapback]

This has nowt to do with whether we were right or wrong to sell him, we're talking about his consistency - something which was more lacking in him than any other player I've seen in a black and white shirt.

Plenty have played for us and been consistently shite, one or two have even been consistently good - but very few have fluctuated completely from one end of the spectrum to the other in consecutive games, and none as much as he did...

The only thing he was consistent with was frustrating the fuck out of the fans....

47056[/snapback]

I beg to differ.....

47059[/snapback]

47065[/snapback]

I still beg to differ...

47078[/snapback]

47085[/snapback]

This has nowt to do with whether we were right or wrong to sell him, we're talking about his consistency - something which was more lacking in him than any other player I've seen in a black and white shirt.

Plenty have played for us and been consistently shite, one or two have even been consistently good - but very few have fluctuated completely from one end of the spectrum to the other in consecutive games, and none as much as he did...

The only thing he was consistent with was frustrating the fuck out of the fans....

47139[/snapback]

If you say so.

Yes, i fail to see how Taylor was supposed to go and tackle the man with the ball AND drop off and mark the player who was passed to, if he could do that then he would be the greatest defender on the planet.

47112[/snapback]

Parker was closing him down tbh.

I can't believe even his most ardent fans would ever label Robert as consistent and I would say N'Zogbia is a more consistent (if less spectacular) replacement. Looking forward to seeing what Luque can do in that position like.

I can't believe even his most ardent fans would ever label Robert as consistent and I would say N'Zogbia is a more consistent (if less spectacular) replacement.

47185[/snapback]

Precisely!

I wasn't questioning Robert's ability - we all know that on his day he's one of the best left wingers this club has ever seen. It's just you could never tell if it was going to be one of those days or if he was going to have a howler...

47112[/snapback]

Parker was closing him down tbh.

47161[/snapback]

I saw the game live and haven't watched any replays but i do remember Francis running into the box with Roberts pulling out to his right leaving Taylor with a difficult decision, i do not remember Parker being between Francis and the goal so if he was closing him down i reckon it was from behind or to the side. I think Taylor had no option but to go towards the man with the ball who laid it off perfectly. I think Elliott should have been more aware and covered Taylor, i also don't know what Boum was doing running off and leaving a massive hole behind him. Poor decision making imo.

Edited by ChocChip

Now i think about it, Boumsong does that a lot. It works against Henry because Arsenal didn't have another striker for Henry to flick it off to. No one making the run beyond Henry. I'm not too fond of Boum's decision making, needs to read it a bit better imo.

47093[/snapback]

Only one word needed to describe this post - laughable.

A Liability? Give me a break. There have been many, many times when he has made some magnificent last ditch tackles and thrown himself in to save our arses. I'm not saying that he doesn't make mistakes but he's a 19 year old lad, so he'll have improved ten-fold in a few years time. He'll also have calmed down a bit and not pick up as many cards as he does - he's a young lad who will give everything to pull his team out of the mire and he is one of the only bright lights in a useless back line. Put him alongside a class centre back and I think we'll see an even better Steven Taylor.

I'd like to see Titus and Taylor given a go together but as someone put it before it'll be all brawn, no brains.

I can't believe even his most ardent fans would ever label Robert as consistent and I would say N'Zogbia is a more consistent (if less spectacular) replacement. Looking forward to seeing what Luque can do in that position like.

47185[/snapback]

Who said Robert was consistent? What I'm saying is that Robert did more over a longer period than Ginola managed to do. Ginola only performed here for 1 season, after than he was utter crap, but people forget that.

Whether Zog or anybody else is more consistent than Robert is largely irrelevant if they are inadequate replacements. You and some others may be happy with relegation standard players so long as they're consistent, I'm not happy with that though.

I'm also looking forward to seeing what Lucky can do, but he doesn't look like a Dave Mackay in the tackle, and he doesn't look like a workaholic who is going to get up and down the line helping out the fullback all the time. But what the hell, it was only £9.5m of the clubs money to satisfy the bully's ego.

I can't believe even his most ardent fans would ever label Robert as consistent and I would say N'Zogbia is a more consistent (if less spectacular) replacement.

47185[/snapback]

Precisely!

I wasn't questioning Robert's ability - we all know that on his day he's one of the best left wingers this club has ever seen. It's just you could never tell if it was going to be one of those days or if he was going to have a howler...

47222[/snapback]

All I want from a flair player is that they put in effort when they're having an off day. Robert was doing that in response to the bully's demands. He had one poor game after a string of good ones and the bully was immediately on his back again. These are the facts, you and others can rewrite it all you like, having been taken in by the Souness propaganda machine, but some of us are smart and can see through him.

He wanted Robert to fail because he wanted him out of the club, so he deliberately pissed him off. Same as he wanted Bellamy out of the club. The man's ego is all that matters to him.

Anyway, we have 'proper' players now having spent £50m, so everything's fine.

47185[/snapback]

Precisely!

47222[/snapback]

All I want from a flair player is that they put in effort when they're having an off day. Robert was doing that in response to the bully's demands. He had one poor game after a string of good ones and the bully was immediately on his back again. These are the facts, you and others can rewrite it all you like, having been taken in by the Souness propaganda machine, but some of us are smart and can see through him.

He wanted Robert to fail because he wanted him out of the club, so he deliberately pissed him off. Same as he wanted Bellamy out of the club. The man's ego is all that matters to him.

Anyway, we have 'proper' players now having spent £50m, so everything's fine.

47375[/snapback]

I'm also looking forward to seeing what Lucky can do, but he doesn't look like a Dave Mackay in the tackle, and he doesn't look like a workaholic who is going to get up and down the line helping out the fullback all the time. But what the hell, it was only £9.5m of the clubs money to satisfy the bully's ego.

agreed

I'm also looking forward to seeing what Lucky can do, but he doesn't look like a Dave Mackay in the tackle, and he doesn't look like a workaholic who is going to get up and down the line helping out the fullback all the time.  But what the hell, it was only £9.5m of the clubs money to satisfy the bully's ego.

47372[/snapback]

The bits I've highlighted describe Robert perfectly IMO.