Alcoholism

wykikitoon

I don't think it's a disease, when I was younger I wanted a drink all the time, I reckon I went through a phase (18-23) where I drank at least 8 pints every day, and I couldn't put weight on, but I could leave it if I wanted. Like now I only try and drink twice a week maximum, because I can't deal with the hangover, I think I got to a point, where I thought I feel fucked a lot of the time, I don't know why I'm drinking. I don't think it's a disease, I think it's something that can be linked to other illnesses like mental health problems. The amount of people you hear saying they're depressed, most of em fucking drink and sleep 4 hours a day, and they wonder why they feel miserable. Stupid cunts.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea what you're on about now tbh.

You have to wonder why some people can't just have a drink and then stop.

I know what it was in reference to. I just have no idea what your point is.

It's pretty obvious I think.

For example, the fattest teenager in the UK who had to have an operation recently to save her. She ate 10 mars bars per day apparently. Why not just 1 per day???

Two different things though, surely? Although I doubt the lass feels good about herself and there's more to it than just liking Mars Bars.

There may be some similarities between obese people and alcoholics but there are loads of differences between the two conditions. Mars Bars aren't a powerful drug, are they? Not that I would class all alcoholics as the same anyway. Someone who develops a drinking problem after a traumatic event is different to someone like George Best's mother who, iirc, died in her 50s but never touched a drop until later in life (40s maybe). Not saying alcoholics are exempt from any responsibility but I think they do have a condition or a pre-disposition to one which the rest of us don't. I'd argue the average person would find it extremely difficult to become one through choice.

I guess there are varying levels of alcoholism though and not all are not triggered by traumatic experiences.

I can see some parallels between (eg) excessive eating and drinking. Isn't the main cause of comfort eating down to filling some emotional void in your life - which i'd guess a lot of alcoholics suffer from.

Not than im expert on the matter like. :love:

Exactly what I was getting at :D I also said there were some similarities between excessive eating and drinking.

Case closed. :rolleyes:

:mellow: What?

It was tongue in cheek... or are you wooshing me??? :razz:

I don't think it's a disease, when I was younger I wanted a drink all the time, I reckon I went through a phase (18-23) where I drank at least 8 pints every day, and I couldn't put weight on, but I could leave it if I wanted. Like now I only try and drink twice a week maximum, because I can't deal with the hangover, I think I got to a point, where I thought I feel fucked a lot of the time, I don't know why I'm drinking. I don't think it's a disease, I think it's something that can be linked to other illnesses like mental health problems. The amount of people you hear saying they're depressed, most of em fucking drink and sleep 4 hours a day, and they wonder why they feel miserable. Stupid cunts.

The problem is the modern need to label addiction as disease (it seems to be people trying to excuse it for want of a better word), when it isn't really.

That's not to say that I don't think it shouldn't be treated like a disease in many cases, but pandering to the "it's anyone and everyone's fault but my own" mentality helps absolutely no one (this can be seen by the ridiculously high level of people that basically swap heroin addiction for methadone addiction :mellow:).

Truth is, if alcohol was invented today it would be a Class A drug on a par with Heroin. Just imagine if someone offered you a glass of something new and said ''just be warned, its. . . .

-Cheap

-Available to anyone

-Provides a short high before acting as a downer

-Can cause memory loss

-Can make people extremely violent

-Induces vomiting

-After effects can last for days

-Renders you incapable of operating cars or heavy machinery yet millions of people every weekend still do

Violent crimes would decrease vastly over a weekend if alcohol were banned. No fights, stabbings, glassings, drink drivers . . . .

Truth is, if alcohol was invented today it would be a Class A drug on a par with Heroin. Just imagine if someone offered you a glass of something new and said ''just be warned, its. . . .

-Cheap

-Available to anyone

-Provides a short high before acting as a downer

-Can cause memory loss

-Can make people extremely violent

-Induces vomiting

-After effects can last for days

-Renders you incapable of operating cars or heavy machinery yet millions of people every weekend still do

Violent crimes would decrease vastly over a weekend if alcohol were banned. No fights, stabbings, glassings, drink drivers . . . .

Slightly different issue, but does prohibition work? Or does it just make things worse?

Unfortunatley we have cultivated society to the point where most peoples social lives revolve around alcohol. We are post the point where prohibition could be successfully introduced. My friends would rather spend the night in the house than contemplate having a night out without being able to get drunk. Personally i think that is a sad reflection on someones personality

Unfortunatley we have cultivated society to the point where most peoples social lives revolve around alcohol. We are post the point where prohibition could be successfully introduced. My friends would rather spend the night in the house than contemplate having a night out without being able to get drunk. Personally i think that is a sad reflection on someones personality

I meant generally tbh. Not just re: alcohol but all drugs. Nowt wrong with having a drink so long as you don't behave like a prick / overdo it though. The UK attitude to it is pretty depressing though. I'd rather stay in or go for a meal than go drinking in most parts of town on a weekend. The way loads of people behave on alcohol man. It's embarrassing.

I actually hate turning up at a pub when my mates are pissed. Its rubbish. I'm not sad either.

I would prefer to go out with my gfriends old man and his mates to the pub on a Friday night, because they can have a couple of drinks and good chin wag, where my mates just wanna get mortal and not speak. When I go with her old man and his mates, we have a good laugh and a good catch up and then curry then home. Im old before my time arent I?

Sometime having a good blow out is alright, but drinking for me is a social thing. Now dont get me wrong I have binged and binged until its coming out of my arse, but I am past that now.

Whys that though Holden? Do you feel the need to be drunk to have fun? Or do your friends seem more fun when you are drunk?

Its prob the same reason as me. They dont make sense they are all over the place and its basically shit.

Unfortunately thats the attitude the majority of people take. Its not much fun for the minority of people who just want a couple of friendly drinks and a good night out though

I was taking the piss. I just meant most of them are shite.

Unfortunately thats the attitude the majority of people take. Its not much fun for the minority of people who just want a couple of friendly drinks and a good night out though

It doesnt help when youre out say to watch the footy with a few and you get a lemonade if its a school night and they make comments about you been gay

It doesnt help when youre out say to watch the footy with a few and you get a lemonade if its a school night and they make comments about you been gay

:D You need a drink to watch NUFC man :mellow:

I would prefer to go out with my gfriends old man and his mates to the pub on a Friday night, because they can have a couple of drinks and good chin wag, where my mates just wanna get mortal and not speak. When I go with her old man and his mates, we have a good laugh and a good catch up and then curry then home. Im old before my time arent I?

Sometime having a good blow out is alright, but drinking for me is a social thing. Now dont get me wrong I have binged and binged until its coming out of my arse, but I am past that now.

More or less how i am feeling now. Purely down to age. :mellow:

:D You need a drink to watch NUFC man :mellow:

:love::razz:

Im only 26 :mellow: Cinema and a film beats nights out hands down though! May be different if i was single.

Cinema without a film isn't so good mind. It's like going to the pub and not drinking.