Chopra answers his critics

zico martin

Luque is a striker, was a striker, and has always been a striker.

From UEFA:

Albert Luque

A forward who allies a fierce left-foot shot with pace and aerial power, Albert Luque scored the goal which secured RC Deportivo La Coruña's place in the group stage of the 2003/04 UEFA Champions League.

National team

The surprise name in Spain's 2002 FIFA World Cup squad, Luque appeared twice as a substitute in the Far East, coming on in the matches against South Africa and the Republic of Ireland. The striker played for just 12 minutes of UEFA EURO 2004™ qualifying as Spain finished second in Group 6, but was selected for the final 23 in Portugal, where he appeared once against the hosts.

and another.....

There was a heart-stopping finale when Barca midfielder Thiago Motta was controversially sent off for a foul committed by one of his team mates and Deportivo striker Albert Luque somehow contrived to put the ball over the bar from point-blank range

I'd like to place a bet that the people claiming he's a left winger have never watched him play in Spain.

50153[/snapback]

Do you really think I can't read stuff that's on the web? I've already read that when we signed him, I'm as able to read the web as the next man.

I still say he's been signed as a replkacement for Robert and is a left sided midfielder. The Dyer comparison may not convince people, so how about Solano? He doesn't score any more goals than the likes of Robert and/or Solano, does he?

Also, Robert played as a striker for PSG, but that doesn't make him an out and out striker like a Shaerer, Owen, Van Nistelrooy or their ilk. They are strikers and Luque isn't.

BTW I haven't been to Spain since 1975, so I've never seen him play in Spain.

50156[/snapback]

but if he played as a striker in the past, hasnt played as a left winger before and we are desperately in need of a few strikers, why do you think that Souness would see him as a replacement for Robert? Isnt Zogbia the obvious replacement to Robert these days?

50160[/snapback]

:o

But Zog sees himself as a central midfielder, didn't you know that?

In the fleeting glimpse we've had of Luque it seems clear that the bully signed him to replace Robert on the left. If time proves me wrong, I'll admit it.

BTW How do you know he's NEVER played on the left? Can I have some media quotes to confirm that please?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely it's not worth discussing Luque until we've seen how he performs in the no doubt startling variety of positions Souness asks him to play in.

50158[/snapback]

I agree.

50167[/snapback]

I feel vindicated as person, thanks Renton :o

He's actually signed Luque as the left side of a 3 pronged attack in a 4-3-3, I've heard both Souness and Luque say it.

"Horror! That sounds like you don't rate Souness. How can that be, he's made some great signings, like."

I've said to you above I don't like him but he's done some good things, the astonishing thing is you probably think it's other people that are blinkered. I've said I'd trade the points in our next match for a decent manager and I don't think you'll find many(any?) Souness supporters here. You'll see whatever you want to see no matter what's said to you so I'll leave you to it.

He's actually signed Luque as the left side of a 3 pronged attack in a 4-3-3, I've heard both Souness and Luque say it.

"Horror! That sounds like you don't rate Souness. How can that be, he's made some great signings, like."

I've said to you above I don't like him but he's done some good things, the astonishing thing is you probably think it's other people that are blinkered.  I've said I'd trade the points in our next match for a decent manager and I don't think you'll find many(any?) Souness supporters here.  You'll see whatever you want to see no matter what's said to you so I'll leave you to it.

50173[/snapback]

Your deliberately ignoring my posts and then claiming my insight for your own :o

Luque played as a striker in Spain. If Souness plans to play him on the left wing then that is another thing completely. I've never heard Souness say that he wants to do that though, have you?

HTL, you should make the effort of going to Spain and going to a few games. The atmosphere is amazing at most top games.

50169[/snapback]

He started with him on the left in the fleeting glimpes we've had. Also, when he signed there were badly disguised digs from Souness toward Robert in the form of references to a threat down the left from a proper player. Surprised you missed that, tbh.

If he's an out and out striker tell me how many goals he's scored per season. From what I've read he's an attacking wide player, which makes him like a Robert or Solano, not like a Shearer or an Owen.

BTW I don't want to go to Spain because it's full of fcuking ..............

.............English tourists.

Edited by Howaythelads

I've said to you above I don't like him but he's done some good things, the astonishing thing is you probably think it's other people that are blinkered.  I've said I'd trade the points in our next match for a decent manager and I don't think you'll find many(any?) Souness supporters here.  You'll see whatever you want to see no matter what's said to you so I'll leave you to it.

50173[/snapback]

What a strange way of posting a quote. In lieu of being able to understand your reply, I'll leave you to it.

You're deliberately ignoring my posts and then claiming my insight for your own :o

50175[/snapback]

It was a good plan while it lasted, like. Here I'll trade you some grammar in return. :o

It wasn't Luque as a player we were really discussing by the way, it was more how big of a stick he was for beating 'the bully'.

You're deliberately ignoring my posts and then claiming my insight for your own :o

50175[/snapback]

It was a good plan while it lasted, like. Here I'll trade you some grammar in return. :o

It wasn't Luque as a player we were really discussing by the way, it was more how big of a stick he was for beating 'the bully'.

50179[/snapback]

Bollocks. Luque might turn out to be a good player. Are you judging him before having seen what he can do for us? Only blinkered types do that, mate.

Will it make you feel better if I refer to our manager as Mr Souness from now on? If this is so, please tell me the difference between my reference to Mr Souness as 'the bully' and continual references by dozens of people to 'Fat' Fred? Just as it's obvious Fred is fat, it's obvious Mr Souness is a bully.

Take your time.

Edited by Howaythelads

From UEFA:

Albert Luque

A forward who allies a fierce left-foot shot with pace and aerial power, Albert Luque scored the goal which secured RC Deportivo La Coruña's place in the group stage of the 2003/04 UEFA Champions League.

National team

The surprise name in Spain's 2002 FIFA World Cup squad, Luque appeared twice as a substitute in the Far East, coming on in the matches against South Africa and the Republic of Ireland. The striker played for just 12 minutes of UEFA EURO 2004™ qualifying as Spain finished second in Group 6, but was selected for the final 23 in Portugal, where he appeared once against the hosts.

and another.....

There was a heart-stopping finale when Barca midfielder Thiago Motta was controversially sent off for a foul committed by one of his team mates and Deportivo striker Albert Luque somehow contrived to put the ball over the bar from point-blank range

I'd like to place a bet that the people claiming he's a left winger have never watched him play in Spain.

50153[/snapback]

Do you really think I can't read stuff that's on the web? I've already read that when we signed him, I'm as able to read the web as the next man.

I still say he's been signed as a replkacement for Robert and is a left sided midfielder. The Dyer comparison may not convince people, so how about Solano? He doesn't score any more goals than the likes of Robert and/or Solano, does he?

Also, Robert played as a striker for PSG, but that doesn't make him an out and out striker like a Shaerer, Owen, Van Nistelrooy or their ilk. They are strikers and Luque isn't.

50156[/snapback]

but if he played as a striker in the past, hasnt played as a left winger before and we are desperately in need of a few strikers, why do you think that Souness would see him as a replacement for Robert? Isnt Zogbia the obvious replacement to Robert these days?

50160[/snapback]

In the fleeting glimpse we've had of Luque it seems clear that the bully signed him to replace Robert on the left. If time proves me wrong, I'll admit it.

BTW How do you know he's NEVER played on the left? Can I have some media quotes to confirm that please?

50170[/snapback]

I see no reason in him being bought to play left, but if you think that the fleeting glimpse you've had it is CLEAR that he was bought as a left winger that's your prerogative. I suspect not and see our striker problem as being less severe than you. I dont need quotes to back me up though do I? if my assumption is incorrect about Luque I'll put my hands up. ok ? :o

There's clear evidence of a glass ceiling on this board tbh.

I'm not getting the recognition i deserve.

50181[/snapback]

What do you expect with a mere 186 posts?

respect must be earned. :o

50181[/snapback]

50188[/snapback]

Racist underbelly tbh.

From UEFA:

Albert Luque

National team

and another.....

50153[/snapback]

50156[/snapback]

50160[/snapback]

50170[/snapback]

I see no reason in him being bought to play left, but if you think that the fleeting glimpse you've had it is CLEAR that he was bought as a left winger that's your prerogative. I suspect not and see our striker problem as being less severe than you. I dont need quotes to back me up though do I? if my assumption is incorrect about Luque I'll put my hands up. ok ? :o

50184[/snapback]

You see no reason for him being signed to play on the left? So you want to rely on a young lad to play left side, a younglad who claims to be a central midfielder anyway but who happens to be used on the left right now because he just happens to be left footed?

When Luque was signed, Mr Souness was babbling on about signing proper players and having a bigger threat on the left. Who do you think he was having a go at there then and why didn't he babble on the same way when he signed Owen?

Edited by Howaythelads

50181[/snapback]

50188[/snapback]

Racist underbelly tbh.

50194[/snapback]

Or lost of course. Or never gained.

i think luque will play up front alongside owen if we play 4-4-2, with n'zogbia on the wing. if we play 4-3-3, he'll play wide on the left.

he is a striker that can also play out wide. i don't expect him to be much better than robert at tracking back mind - he'll probably be better used just behind owen in the same role rooney plays for england.

i think luque will play up front alongside owen if we play 4-4-2, with n'zogbia on the wing. if we play 4-3-3, he'll play wide on the left.

he is a striker that can also play out wide. i don't expect him to be much better than robert at tracking back mind - he'll probably be better used just behind owen in the same role rooney plays for england.

50200[/snapback]

No, he is a left sided attacking player who can also play out and out striker. Apparently.

I think you'll find Mr Souness will use Owen and Dyer up front with Luque on the left. Just my opinion.

50200[/snapback]

No, he is a left sided attacking player who can also play out and out striker. Apparently.

I think you'll find Mr Souness will use Owen and Dyer up front with Luque on the left. Just my opinion.

50201[/snapback]

well from what i've read both souness and luque himself regard him more as an attacker than a midielder...

50181[/snapback]

50188[/snapback]

Racist underbelly tbh.

50194[/snapback]

And earned doesn't mean spam. :o

50200[/snapback]

50201[/snapback]

well from what i've read both souness and luque himself regard him more as an attacker than a midielder...

50206[/snapback]

HTL knows better though, obviously.

50200[/snapback]

50201[/snapback]

50206[/snapback]

Err, explain the threat down the left from a proper player comments for me.....

Are you saying he's in the mould of Shearer/Owen etc?

Can you please use 'Mr' and a capital 'S' for Mr Souness when you mention him. It looks very disrespectful that you don't.

Edited by Howaythelads