Chopra answers his critics

zico martin

Saying Luque can play up front is the same as saying Dyer can play up front as far as I'm concerned. 

50093[/snapback]

Luque has been a far more prolific goalscorer in the last couple of years, plays in a different position and is a totally different sort of player. He's even said he sees himself as left-sided striker, a position in which I believe La Coruna utilised him on many occasions. So, it's not a very good comparison in my view.

50105[/snapback]

It is a good example in view of the fact that Luque is not a striker. If he plays up front he will do it as a player converted from some other position, same as Dyer, which eas the point I was making. But then, as usual, you know what people mean you just like to waste people's time pretending you don't.

BTW I don't really give a shite how prolific someone is in another league. The English league is different.

50110[/snapback]

He is a striker and you would give a shit about how prolific he was if it supported the point you're trying to make IMO.

50111[/snapback]

You're wrong again. I never give a shit about past performances for another club, it's what they do for the club I support that I give a shit about.

BTW Luque has still been signed to replace Robert. He isn't a striker.

50115[/snapback]

He is a striker.

50117[/snapback]

Ohhhhhh no he isn't!

It's the Toontastic panto. ;)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying Luque can play up front is the same as saying Dyer can play up front as far as I'm concerned. 

50093[/snapback]

Luque has been a far more prolific goalscorer in the last couple of years, plays in a different position and is a totally different sort of player. He's even said he sees himself as left-sided striker, a position in which I believe La Coruna utilised him on many occasions. So, it's not a very good comparison in my view.

50105[/snapback]

It is a good example in view of the fact that Luque is not a striker. If he plays up front he will do it as a player converted from some other position, same as Dyer, which eas the point I was making. But then, as usual, you know what people mean you just like to waste people's time pretending you don't.

BTW I don't really give a shite how prolific someone is in another league. The English league is different.

50110[/snapback]

He is a striker and you would give a shit about how prolific he was if it supported the point you're trying to make IMO.

50111[/snapback]

You're wrong again. I never give a shit about past performances for another club, it's what they do for the club I support that I give a shit about.

BTW Luque has still been signed to replace Robert. He isn't a striker.

50115[/snapback]

He is a striker.

50117[/snapback]

Ohhhhhh no he isn't!

50118[/snapback]

He's behind you!

Ohhhhhh no he isn't!

50118[/snapback]

He's behind you! Oo-er.

EDIT: Fecker, Alex.

Edited by DotBum

50093[/snapback]

He's spent more of his career as a striker than a left-midfielder. In fact, I've heard Souness critisitised for replacing Robert with a striker.

I'm sure all that 'new Vieira' stuff came from Robson. He was grooming Jenas to replace Speed and saw Dyer as the other half of that midfield. When Shepherd suggested it was time for Speed to move on he got Butt in to replace him, he still saw Jenas as ultimately the answer to the defensive midfield problem.

I'm not saying I'm a Souness fan, I'm saying not every single thing he's done has been bad.

50108[/snapback]

No, he didn't. He realised ages ago that Dyer couldn't play in central midfield, which is why he moved him back to the right where he belongs. Robson's mistake was persisting with the hopeless Jenas, but then there weren't many complaints on here about that, because many on here think Jenas is a 'great' player.

I'm not saying everything Souness has done is bad, he signed Owen. But then it doesn't take great managerial ability to spot that Owen is a good player, does it?

Well done, Graeme. Good spot there, son.

Who on here thinks/thought Jenas was a great player, out of interest?

Some quotes would be nice.

Also, spotting Owen as a good player isn't hard, getting him to sign for your club is.

No, he didn't. He realised ages ago that Dyer couldn't play in central midfield, which is why he moved him back to the right where he belongs. Robson's mistake was persisting with the hopeless Jenas, but then there weren't many complaints on here about that, because many on here think Jenas is a 'great' player.

I'm not saying everything Souness has done is bad, he signed Owen. But then it doesn't take great managerial ability to spot that Owen is a good player, does it?

Well done, Graeme. Good spot there, son.

50122[/snapback]

You're not saying everything Souness does is bad, but when he doesn't something good an idiot could have done it. Fair point.

I don't agree on the Dyer thing, Robson moved alot of players around out of neccessity (sometimes self-imposed), I still think he saw those 2 in the middle. Can't remember if he mentions that in his auto-biography, might be worth a look.

Edited by DotBum

Also, spotting Owen as a good player isn't hard, getting him to sign for your club is.

50126[/snapback]

Emre looks an excellent acquisition too, for less money than Bassedas cost!

50126[/snapback]

50132[/snapback]

He's the only player I am prepared to give Souness much credit for. Shearer persuaded Owen to come to Newcastle imo.

Edited by Renton

50126[/snapback]

Don't be a nob all your life, Alex. I'm not sad enough to go searching around the forum looking for quotes just because some people are hung up on quotes. You've been partly taking part in discussions on this forum and Online for ages, you know what people have been saying about Jenas, and you know there are lots of them. So grow up, learn to take part in a discussion properly and and stop asking people for something you know they aren't going to do. It's a pathetic way of trying to substantiate your position.

As I understand it, the main person involved in getting Owen to come to Newcastle wasn't Souness, it was Shearer. Speculation of course, but then there's no evidence to support the notion that he signed because of Souness.

50126[/snapback]

50132[/snapback]

Emre does look a good player.

Well done, Graeme.

Happy now, son?

Emre does look a good player.

Well done, Graeme.

Happy now, son?

50142[/snapback]

Yeah, cheers Dad, can I have a lolly now?

Well done that man, your rhetoric would make Plato blush.

Luque is a striker, was a striker, and has always been a striker.

From UEFA:

Albert Luque

A forward who allies a fierce left-foot shot with pace and aerial power, Albert Luque scored the goal which secured RC Deportivo La Coruña's place in the group stage of the 2003/04 UEFA Champions League.

National team

The surprise name in Spain's 2002 FIFA World Cup squad, Luque appeared twice as a substitute in the Far East, coming on in the matches against South Africa and the Republic of Ireland. The striker played for just 12 minutes of UEFA EURO 2004™ qualifying as Spain finished second in Group 6, but was selected for the final 23 in Portugal, where he appeared once against the hosts.

and another.....

There was a heart-stopping finale when Barca midfielder Thiago Motta was controversially sent off for a foul committed by one of his team mates and Deportivo striker Albert Luque somehow contrived to put the ball over the bar from point-blank range

I'd like to place a bet that the people claiming he's a left winger have never watched him play in Spain.

From UEFA:

Albert Luque

A forward who allies a fierce left-foot shot with pace and aerial power, Albert Luque scored the goal which secured RC Deportivo La Coruña's place in the group stage of the 2003/04 UEFA Champions League.

National team

The surprise name in Spain's 2002 FIFA World Cup squad, Luque appeared twice as a substitute in the Far East, coming on in the matches against South Africa and the Republic of Ireland. The striker played for just 12 minutes of UEFA EURO 2004™ qualifying as Spain finished second in Group 6, but was selected for the final 23 in Portugal, where he appeared once against the hosts.

and another.....

There was a heart-stopping finale when Barca midfielder Thiago Motta was controversially sent off for a foul committed by one of his team mates and Deportivo striker Albert Luque somehow contrived to put the ball over the bar from point-blank range

I'd like to place a bet that the people claiming he's a left winger have never watched him play in Spain.

50153[/snapback]

Do you really think I can't read stuff that's on the web? I've already read that when we signed him, I'm as able to read the web as the next man.

I still say he's been signed as a replkacement for Robert and is a left sided midfielder. The Dyer comparison may not convince people, so how about Solano? He doesn't score any more goals than the likes of Robert and/or Solano, does he?

Also, Robert played as a striker for PSG, but that doesn't make him an out and out striker like a Shaerer, Owen, Van Nistelrooy or their ilk. They are strikers and Luque isn't.

BTW I haven't been to Spain since 1975, so I've never seen him play in Spain.

Edited by Howaythelads

Van Nistelrooy started his professional career as a defender, didn't he?  So he wouldn't be an out and out striker either then.

50157[/snapback]

I havne't a clue?

Steve Howey started as a striker but became a defender. Macdonald started as a left back but became a striker.

What is your point?

Souness has signed Luque as a left sided, attacking midfield player (like Robert) to replace Robert. Robert is not an out and out striker. Are you saying he is replacing a left sided attacking midfielder with a centre forward?

From UEFA:

Albert Luque

National team

and another.....

50153[/snapback]

Do you really think I can't read stuff that's on the web? I've already read that when we signed him, I'm as able to read the web as the next man.

I still say he's been signed as a replkacement for Robert and is a left sided midfielder. The Dyer comparison may not convince people, so how about Solano? He doesn't score any more goals than the likes of Robert and/or Solano, does he?

Also, Robert played as a striker for PSG, but that doesn't make him an out and out striker like a Shaerer, Owen, Van Nistelrooy or their ilk. They are strikers and Luque isn't.

BTW I haven't been to Spain since 1975, so I've never seen him play in Spain.

50156[/snapback]

but if he played as a striker in the past, hasnt played as a left winger before and we are desperately in need of a few strikers, why do you think that Souness would see him as a replacement for Robert? Isnt Zogbia the obvious replacement to Robert these days?

Surely it's not worth discussing Luque until we've seen how he performs in the no doubt startling variety of positions Souness asks him to play in.

50158[/snapback]

Horror! That sounds like you don't rate Souness. How can that be, he's made some great signings, like.

Van Nistelrooy started his professional career as a defender, didn't he?  So he wouldn't be an out and out striker either then.

50157[/snapback]

I havne't a clue?

Steve Howey started as a striker but became a defender. Macdonald started as a left back but became a striker.

What is your point?

Souness has signed Luque as a left sided, attacking midfield player (like Robert) to replace Robert. Robert is not an out and out striker. Are you saying he is replacing a left sided attacking midfielder with a centre forward?

50159[/snapback]

If GS wants to play a 4-3-3 than i think he'll play Luque on the left side of the attack.

If he plays 4-4-2 then he play Luque up front because i think Zoggy has surprised everyone.

There's nothing wrong about changing your mind about people. Fergie no doubt bought Smith as a striker but look now where he's playing him!

Surely it's not worth discussing Luque until we've seen how he performs in the no doubt startling variety of positions Souness asks him to play in.

50158[/snapback]

Horror! That sounds like you don't rate Souness. How can that be, he's made some great signings, like.

50162[/snapback]

What makes you think i rate Souness? :o

Luque played as a striker in Spain. If Souness plans to play him on the left wing then that is another thing completely. I've never heard Souness say that he wants to do that though, have you?

HTL, you should make the effort of going to Spain and going to a few games. The atmosphere is amazing at most top games.