Does Relegation Matter?

David Kelly

This isn't one of those misguided 'will relegation be good thing' questions by someone trying to put a positive spin on things (quite the opposite actually) but I was just wondering whether relegation really makes that much difference to us now.

Let's face it, whether we are in the Premiership or Championship we will still have an owner who hasn't got a fucking clue how to run a football club and who won't invest enough transform us from being the absolute shite that we are.

I don't see anything to look forward to being a Newcastle supporter at the minute. If we stay up we will be back in the same situation year after year until we do go down. If you have no intention of competing with the best in the league then why bother? If we do go down we will probably end up somewhere mid table in the championship so at least we'll get to see a few more wins (albeit against the likes of Blackpool and Barnsley).

The way I see it is this is the way it will stay for the forseeable future unless Ashely is forced to sell because his investment is becoming less and less valuable. Only then might we be cheap enough for someone to come in and buy us and have the cash left over to spend big on players.

Until then the big negatives of relegation will be that the makems will be able to lord it over us (for a season as they'd no doubt follow suit the next year), others will take the piss and we'll not get to see great players at St James Park (but as they're only going to be playing for the opposition I don't really care). It's not like we're going to lose all of our quality players as we quite simply have none.

If there was any real threat of the club being bought that would be scupped by relegation then it would be different but as far as I can see we're stuck with that fat cunt for years to come.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I fear it will be back to the dark days for a long time.....and then maybe promotion, but by then will we be a derby, west brom, just another yo yo club.

We all know the gulf is massive and without a lot of money to throw at there is little hope.

As the table shows, we are allready a shit team. People seem to be clinging onto this plan that Shearer or someone will re-build us with nominal investment and make us a force to challenge for promotion...

I just cant see it unless big bucks come into the club.

That's exactly it. We are a nothing now and in the end if that's what you are does it matter what division you are. I'm sure fans of little clubs across the country would say I'm talking utter shite but when you've been challenging for the league not too many years ago getting promoted just so you can bravely battle against relegation the next season doesn't really appeal any more. Even in the dark days before John Hall bought the club at least we still had the hope that if someone came in and spend a bit of money (even if like Hall they did it just so they could get more out the back end) they could transform the club. In the current football climate the amount of money needed would be so massive that it takes the likes of Citeh's owners to have a chance and I'm afraid there just aren't many of them about.

Edited by David Kelly

Ask yourself if it matters at 6 o'clock on Sunday DK. It matters hugely, I suggest your depressive protective instinct is kicking in.

Don't get me wrong I am dreading it (so much so that I don't know if I can bring myself to watch on Sunday) and I will be devestated if and when it does happen. I'm just suggesting that very little will change for us and it will just hurt our pride more.

wtf without reading what anyone has wrote just the title of this thread pisses me off!!! of fucking course it matters, its like asking who you would rather shag Cilla Black or Eva Longoria.

Guest alex

I know what you're saying like. I also think it ties in with the view most of us had that if we were to escape this year it would just be delaying the inevitable anyway.

I know what you're saying like. I also think it ties in with the view most of us had that if we were to escape this year it would just be delaying the inevitable anyway.

Absolutely not alex! Look at Fulham and have some fucking hope man!

wtf without reading what anyone has wrote just the title of this thread pisses me off!!! of fucking course it matters, its like asking who you would rather shag Cilla Black or Eva Longoria.

Given the current standard of what we have to watch a better comparission would be between Bella Emberg and Hatti Jacques!

Cilla could teach you a few tricks! :good:

I would still bang her like, no doubt about that :)

I know what you mean by there being nothing to look forward to like. When I think about the future of the club everything just goes dark. Whatever 'hope' there is resides in uncertain speculations about Ashley selling, and then to an owner or owners with the brains and money to sort the club out.

There must be someone out there who fits the bill, surely? There's still a huge pile of potential here sitting waiting to be realised. Where's the bastard Sultan of Brunei when you need him?

Yes it matter, you could say that we go down next season if we do survive somehow this season, but we could do a Portsmouth after they just survived, a Fulham, a Blackburn after they just survived, a Wesy Ham, an Everton.

Yes it fucking matters, and who ever says or thinks it doesn't should walk away from this club and football.

Edited by BigChrisfgb

Given the current standard of what we have to watch a better comparission would be between Bella Emberg and HattiE Jacques!!

FYP :good:

Guest alex

Well it obviously does tie in with that view whether you share that view or not. I suppose there's a much better chance of regime change, etc. if we stay up but what I was on about was more the idea that if it's not this season it's next season if the current lot are still running the show. Look at who is out of contract etc. Probably moot anyway though as I think it's all over bar the shouting. I hope I'm wrong obviously but being optimistic in relation to NUFC in my experience is like asking for a kick in the stotts.

Given the current standard of what we have to watch a better comparission would be between Bella Emberg and HattiE Jacques!!

FYP :good:

Damn I even checked the spelling too :)

I've enjoyed this season.

If we go down I'll enjoy next season.

If we stop up I'll enjoy next season.

In those terms it matters not a jot.

If we have designs on any kind of success, of course we need to be in the top-flight. But I can't see us being succesful in the next decade either way.

Well it obviously does tie in with that view whether you share that view or not. I suppose there's a much better chance of regime change, etc. if we stay up but what I was on about was more the idea that if it's not this season it's next season if the current lot are still running the show. Look at who is out of contract etc. Probably moot anyway though as I think it's all over bar the shouting. I hope I'm wrong obviously but being optimistic in relation to NUFC in my experience is like asking for a kick in the stotts.

I get what your saying like, but the big question is, Would you rather stay in the Premiership and get beat week in and week out or go to a low standard League and win it! For me personally I would rather be in the Premiership as I think we have maximum chance of staying up and doing well next season if we escape the drop this season.

We'd rid the club of all that was shit, sadly we'd also rid it of all that was good and be left with the mediocre shit in between.

The quality of player being drafted in following relegation will be severely reduced. Decent League One players will be bought regularly and there's a whole generation of Newcastle fans who'd never had to appreciate what it's like not being able to attract top level players.

I fear it would be at least 4-5 years before we were able to get back on the right road. Even if we come straight back up I think we'd yo-yo (maybe not suffer relegation but certainly echo this season's fortunes) for a while.

Guest alex

I get what your saying like, but the big question is, Would you rather stay in the Premiership and get beat week in and week out or go to a low standard League and win it! For me personally I would rather be in the Premiership as I think we have maximum chance of staying up and doing well next season if we escape the drop this season.

I think you're missing the point a bit. We'd all rather stay up without a doubt. The OP is more about DK stating that we're fucked either way unless things change completely. I also think it's a bit of an admission we're already down in his eyes.

Edited by alex

I don't see where that optimism comes from like. Up or down I doubt we'll do well next season although being that it costs less to do well in a lower division I would say we have a better chance of doing well in the championship (I'm not arguing that I would rather see us do well in the championship than poorly in the premier league btw).

If we have designs on any kind of success, of course we need to be in the top-flight. But I can't see us being succesful in the next decade either way.

:good: rly?

There's very few occasions I've enjoyed anything about the football this season but whatever division we played in I would still enjoy going to the match.

It's weird but in a way I have enjoyed this season more than the last few. Especially the last few games. Boro was the highlight of the last 5 years for me even if it turns out to be fruitless.

So in a way I'm backtracking from my post to DK, I'd rather have excitement regardless of the league we're in or whether we are fighting for promotion or against relegation. Because one thing is certain, we're never going to win anything.

Whilst in the Prem. Every season I've had optimism. The only mild concerns were the season we strenghtened with just 1 player(Bowyer) and the season we started with Roeder. Even with Souness/Allardyce in charge I was looking at the positive sides of things.

If we stay up, I'll continue to think that we can steadily improve, year after year, to become a op club again. I mean, if Villa and Everton can do it with a bit of stability, why can't we? The rest of the league is utter shit outside the top 4-6.

Should we go down though, I doubt we could strenghten enough to get out of it. The current team would be strong enough(probably) to be promoted, but Owen, Martins, Viduka, Beye, Enrique, Jonas, Bassong all leaving would leave us in the shit.

Anyone who hasn't should question why they go to the football and consider giving it a miss for a while.....cos it ain't gonna get much better on the pitch whatever happens.

What can you hope for in your wildest dreams? To challenge Fulham and Bolton in the chase for a Europa league place?

Anyone who hasn't should question why they go to the football and consider giving it a miss for a while.....cos it ain't gonna get much better on the pitch whatever happens.

What can you hope for in your wildest dreams? To challenge Fulham and Bolton in the chase for a Europa league place?

Seems a reasonable philosophy HF. I think I hit rock bottom before most people on here and that was the day Souness was appointed, which has helped get things in perspective in retrospect (except the odd rant). Que sera sera and all that. Mind, I won't be feeling that on Sunday.