Nolan and Ryan Taylor

TicTacWoe

There have been many mistakes made this season at the club, undermining Keegan, selling Milner, appointing Kinnear etc but one which I think to some extent which is overlooked is how poorly managed the transfer window was.

The signing of Ryan Taylor as part of the N'Zogbia transfer sums up our scouting system in recent years. Wigan fans will tell you that the only times he ever played well was against us otherwise he was at best a squad player who most fans were happy to be rid of. It's as if no one actually checked whether or not Taylor was any good at all, they just figured oh well, he scores against us he must be good.

Then there's Nolan, once a hot prospect and supposed future international, now joins the list of has-beens that we've been collecting at this club for the last few years. In the games he's played for us he has more often than not been completely anonymous, it's hard to believe a central midfield player could dissapear as much as Nolan has in some of his performances for Newcastle.

Our current midfield is almost entirely made up of players who "used to be good" (Nolan, Butt, Geremi, Duff, Barton, Smith) but for one reason or another ceased being of any use to a premier league side long ago. All of these players would have been good signings 5 years ago, but typical of the last few years at this club, we go for them after anyvody else wants them.

We've also been sickeningly unwilling to take a risk on younger players in the last few years in favor of these overpaid wastes of money. In the long run it would have been better for the club in every sense if we'd gone for youth (and I don't mean 16 year old kids I mean players between 18 and 24) instead of these guys, we might still be down, but at least we'd have a sensible wage bill and a team to build on for the future.

When we entered the January transfer window we clearly needed a couple of new faces, but in selling Given and N'Zogbia (never mind Milener earlier in the season) and getting in Taylor and Nolan, we actually ended up with a weaker squad than before.

Edited by TicTacWoe

Considering that Given "may" have saved one of the goals Harper didnt and Milner or more likely NZogbia "may" have provided a much needed goal from midfield or created something to assist I find these a huge contributing factor in our relegation. More so when they are replaced with Nolan & R.Taylor.

Guest alex

Well, we were in trouble in January and we actually managed to weaken a poor squad imo. We certainly didn't sign anyone who has added anything of note to the 1st team. Another massive fuck-up in other words.

Exactly, the general consensus was that we had a side devoid of pace and creativity (with the exception of the zog and milner (and i use milner as an example of a player that has done well since he left)). when the transfer window closes we end up with lovenkrands (who can run fast but often without the ball) and nolan (footballing equivalent of having an engine from a shopmibility cart). the board makes money to cover the outlay on a variety of other failed purchases.

Then we get relegated.

Planning.....

Well, we were in trouble in January and we actually managed to weaken a poor squad imo. We certainly didn't sign anyone who has added anything of note to the 1st team. Another massive fuck-up in other words.

I bet Ashley is delighted with the 8m profit he made in january now.

I said at the time Nolan was only signed because Barton got injured and Taylor only because it was Wigan that got N'Zogbia. The "real" window would have just been 2 out for £11m.

Considering that Given "may" have saved one of the goals Harper didnt and Milner or more likely NZogbia "may" have provided a much needed goal from midfield or created something to assist I find these a huge contributing factor in our relegation. More so when they are replaced with Nolan & R.Taylor.

We'd have got an extra point with Milner all season, Zoggy (-strop) and Given for the last bit of the season. :o

But our midfield is now so :lol: it's maybe not even Championship standard.... and the ones we sign are always more of exactly what we don't need. :rolleyes:

We'd have got an extra point with Milner all season, Zoggy (-strop) and Given for the last bit of the season. :o

But our midfield is now so :lol: it's maybe not even Championship standard.... and the ones we sign are always more of exactly what we don't need. :rolleyes:

We will sign young hungry talent which is exactly what we need.

Oh, how could I forget the sale of Faye. No reason to sell him for the nothing we did, not to mention he scored against us.

So many huge mistakes. But the failure to act decisively in the transfer window was the biggest for me. That and the failure to appoint a credible manager when Keegan walked out, which we only managed to do with 8 games to go.