Moyes youth system.

Park Life

David Moyes owes Everton's success to his brilliant youth system

By David Maddock 18/02/2009

Everton's emergence as one of the teams of the season is a visionary tale in these throwaway Premier League times.

David Moyes has overcome budgetary restraints and a seemingly endless injury crisis to see his Everton team push for Europe and reach the FA Cup quarter-finals.

At times, Moyes genuinely feared he would be unable to find 11 players to send out on the pitch. His answer has been to turn to the youth system at Goodison Park.

The globalisation of the Premier League has without doubt improved quality, but there has been a distressing side effect. How often do you see kids getting regular games in the first team? In recent years, hardly at all.

Everton have bucked that trend. Since Moyes arrived seven years ago he has always found room for kids - and not just ones with the obvious talent of Wayne Rooney.

Leon Osman and Tony Hibbert were patiently allowed to develop in the first team, where other clubs would have swiftly shipped them out. More recently, James Vaughan and Victor Anichebe have been given plenty of opportunities.

Last weekend, Moyes bravely fielded teenagers Dan Gosling and Jack Rodwell against English football's form team Aston Villa, despite having other more experienced options.

Gosling has just turned 19, and rewarded his manager's faith with an historic winning FA Cup goal against Liverpool.

Rodwell is still only 17, yet looks thoroughly at home in the top flight. He will sign a new five-year contract this week, despite interest from Arsenal and Manchester United - and little wonder.

Rodwell made his first-team debut at 16, and has already played 13 times at the top level. Significantly, he knows that, at Goodison, if he is good enough then he is old enough.

Never realised there was so many of them. :lol:

"his Everton team push for Europe and reach the FA Cup quarter-finals."

Guessing this is an older article?

I've always had a little tiny soft spot for Everton, and they have to be doing something right to bringing through the players they are. I honestly think Moyes is one of the best managers in the Premiership at the moment.

"his Everton team push for Europe and reach the FA Cup quarter-finals."

Guessing this is an older article?

I've always had a little tiny soft spot for Everton, and they have to be doing something right to bringing through the players they are. I honestly think Moyes is one of the best managers in the Premiership at the moment.

Why guess the dates at the top?

Aston Villa are another, but they have a wellspring of local black talent to chose from it seems.

Fucking hell I swear I'm going blind :lol:

I don't know where we are going wrong. I know it seems we might have a decent youth side at the moment, but none of them seem to be having the chance to impress in the first team. If we are going to bring in all these young players, even if we they aren't local lads, then we might as well give them some sort of an opportunity. I guess that is a little hard because we were in a relegation battle, so hopefully next season we will see of them come through.

Fucking hell I swear I'm going blind :lol:

I don't know where we are going wrong. I know it seems we might have a decent youth side at the moment, but none of them seem to be having the chance to impress in the first team. If we are going to bring in all these young players, even if we they aren't local lads, then we might as well give them some sort of an opportunity. I guess that is a little hard because we were in a relegation battle, so hopefully next season we will see of them come through.

More of that article.

Moyes has a net spend of £20million in his time at Goodison, compared to Rafa Benitez's £83m in five years at Anfield and Manchester United's £100m over the same period. Liverpool haven't had a kid come through the ranks since Steven Gerrard 10 years ago, with talent such as Stephen Warnock forced to go elsewhere for a first-team opportunity.

Rodwell, Gosling and Anichebe all played a significant part against Villa, but that wasn't the whole story. On the bench was Jose Baxter, who at 16 years and 191 days became the youngest firstteam player in the club's history when he appeared against Blackburn at the start of the season.

He is now just 17, as is James Wallace, who was also on the bench on Sunday.

Two 19-year-olds, John Paul Kissock and John Irving have both also been regularly involved. Seamus Coleman, 20, was signed last month, while even Fellaini is only 21.

Moyes says passionately: "I just don't believe in that burn-out thing. If anything now, the kids need to play more games, because it is so hard to get them in the Premier League, given the foreign competition. It's going that way, and it's a shame, because we still desperately need the young English - and Scottish players - to come through.

"We really do try to do that here, and not just out of necessity.

"These boys wouldn't get a look in at other clubs, but they have had their chance here, and who can possibly say they haven't taken it?

"Gosling has stepped up to the mark, he's done what we asked of him, and Rodwell has been outstanding, considering how he's been thrown in.

West Ham

Noble, Collison, Tomkins, Sears, Stanislas, Reid & Hines play in the first team and N'Gala, Stech, Widdowson, Spence & Payne have all made the bench.

If Shearer takes the job I suspect he'll be keen on improving things in the youth department. You get the impression he's very interested in getting the backroom staff and set-up right, and he's an old Wallsend Boys Club lad himself after all.

Bringing in Dowie and Ferris from day one suggests thoroughness to me, and there's already strong rumours about Carver and Rob Lee. It's not too much of a stretch to suppose he's looking to improve all areas at the club, so I'd be quite hopeful he'll pay due attention to developing young players.

If Shearer takes the job I suspect he'll be keen on improving things in the youth department. You get the impression he's very interested in getting the backroom staff and set-up right, and he's an old Wallsend Boys Club lad himself after all.

Bringing in Dowie and Ferris from day one suggests thoroughness to me, and there's already strong rumours about Carver and Rob Lee. It's not too much of a stretch to suppose he's looking to improve all areas at the club, so I'd be quite hopeful he'll pay due attention to developing young players.

Wallsend Boys Club. The former players listed on the club's Wiki page are Alan Shearer, Robbie Elliott, Lee Clark, Steve Bruce, Michael Carrick, Neil McDonald, Peter Beardsley, Brian Laws and Steve Watson. The interesting thing is that the best four players in this list had to get away from Tyneside to start their careers, while four of the five not-so-good ones were picked up by Newcastle.

Guest alex

Wallsend Boys Club. The former players listed on the club's Wiki page are Alan Shearer, Robbie Elliott, Lee Clark, Steve Bruce, Michael Carrick, Neil McDonald, Peter Beardsley, Brian Laws and Steve Watson. The interesting thing is that the best four players in this list had to get away from Tyneside to start their careers, while four of the five not-so-good ones were picked up by Newcastle.

They're a bit like Man Utd though in that because they're the best they get the best players within the area. Still no reason why Newcastle shoudn't get first dabs on their players though.

Moyes has a net spend of £20million in his time at Goodison, compared to Rafa Benitez's £83m

Except that it isn't true. After Moyes arrived at Goodison he has a NET spend of £ 41 Mill according to soccerbase, and that's helped by the £ 20 Mill sale of Rooney.

Moyes has a net spend of £20million in his time at Goodison, compared to Rafa Benitez's £83m

Except that it isn't true. After Moyes arrived at Goodison he has a NET spend of £ 41 Mill according to soccerbase, and that's helped by the £ 20 Mill sale of Rooney.

What others have you got coming through?

£28m sale of Rooney by the way.

And we have been consciously investing in youth for two years, who knows what they will turn out like?

Guest Stevie

Personally I think it's Arsenal we should learn from. I wouldn't sign anyone who couldn't do 100m in 11.5 seconds, and no one gets over 40k till they've earned it.

I've stopped following the youth cause so many are hyped up yet end up doing fuck all. Like the Moore brothers for instance.

I know we nicked a winger from Arsenal last week, and got a dwarf called Barry Bannan who is supposedly good. And Delfouneso who is a fairly decent prospect.

I do fancy the youth setup financially though. We got £ 16 Mill for Ridgewell, Cahill, Moore and Davis alone.

I've stopped following the youth cause so many are hyped up yet end up doing fuck all. Like the Moore brothers for instance.

I know we nicked a winger from Arsenal last week, and got a dwarf called Barry Bannan who is supposedly good. And Delfouneso who is a fairly decent prospect.

I do fancy the youth setup financially though. We got £ 16 Mill for Ridgewell, Cahill, Moore and Davis alone.

:lol:

Personally I think it's Arsenal we should learn from. I wouldn't sign anyone who couldn't do 100m in 11.5 seconds, and no one gets over 40k till they've earned it.

The problem is we can't really mix it with them with regard to their scouting set-up.

Take your point regarding fast mobile players however.

Doesn't Wenger time the sprints of all players? The rumour was is why Henry was shown the door as he was slowing up.

Arsenal spend absolutely massive amounts of money on youth. Way more then any youth setup I've heard of. Which is also why it's so ridiculous when they say Wenger is finding these players for fuck all.

Yeah that makes me laugh. Not sure of the numbers, but I've heard it's easily into millions.