Cows

bawan

A FARMER last night told of his horror after 16 of his cows were killed by a LIGHTNING STRIKE.

The animals were in a field sheltering from a storm when one was hit by a massive bolt.

It is understood the lethal electric charge then conducted through a puddle and killed the other 15 cows.

Jim McDougal, manager at the farm where the bizarre bovine tragedy happened, said: “I felt numbness, it was just unbelievable.

“They were all either sitting or lying where they had fallen in a regimented row. I have never seen anything like it in my life.”

One onlooker added: “It was absolutely unbelievable — one minute the cows were standing there and the next they just dropped like stone.

“The poor beasts didn’t have a chance — it literally happened in seconds.

“The lightning had been really bad. It was right out of the blue after all the good weather we’ve had.”

Jim, 60, said he and his daughter Alison had gone to the field at Saltoun House Farm, near Pentcaitland, East Lothian, after being alerted by the neighbour.

He added: “The cows were singed and we could smell it in the air when we arrived. I am very upset but it was a freak act of nature so there was nothing I could do about it.”

Advertisement

His wife Elizabeth said: "Jim could not believe the carnage he saw.

"A man down the road saw a cow being struck by lightning and then the vet thinks it conducted the lightning to the other cows as they were standing in the same puddle under a tree.”

A vet from nearby Haddington took blood samples from the dead animals and confirmed the 18-month-old bullocks had died from a lightning strike on Sunday.

In February The Scottish Sun told how a cow in Australia had been left “flame grilled” after it had been hit by a lightning bolt.

The poor creature was left with blistering burns after the accident in Gladstone, Queensland.

Last October 52 cows were killed in a similar incident on a ranch near Montevideo, Uruguay.

The animals had been standing close to a metal fence at a farm when they were blasted.

A month earlier 53 cattle were killed by lightning in Katosi, Uganda. They had been seeking shelter underneath trees.

Around 100 lightning bolts hits the earth per second — or 8.6MILLION times a day

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps we should give the grieving farmer a pat on the shoulder and tell him to moo've on.

<_<

No point crying over vaporized milk

That's terrible. :D

<_<

You're just mad that I'm Fresian you out of the jokes

:lol:

:(